A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Meanwhile, TT4 and FY look to decrease nearly 90% this weekend.   :lol:

Fortunately, there are no big movies release next week, Only You?

so So Young still stay on top of Chinese youth movies. 

It looks so cool :D

I say this because I play League of Legends, and the champion I main is Wukong, so it's great to see they make a lot of movies about him :)

2016 will see at least 3 lived-action movies about Sun Wukong, TMK 2, A Chinese Odessey III, Wukong Biography & Journey to the west I & II. 

• Like 1

2016 will see at least 3 lived-action movies about Sun Wukong, TMK 2, A Chinese Odessey III, Wukong Biography & Journey to the west I & II.

I hope one day there will be a sci-fi movie from China. Too many movies are based on the few classics in Chinese literature.

Yes, next week only have Only You as a major release.

Movies about Sun Wukong in 2016: 

TMK 2, starring Feng Shaofeng, Aaron Kwok, Gong Li and Xiao Shenyang, dated Feb 8

A Chinese Odessey III, starring Han Geng with the old A Chinese Odessey cast

Wukong Biography, starring Eddie Peng

Journey to the west starring the old TV series cast

There should be three more but I can't recall at moment

Journey to the west II by Stephen Chou and Hark Tsui is due for Spring 2017.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

I hope one day there will be a sci-fi movie from China. Too many movies are based on the few classics in Chinese literature.

Next year have one big budget local sci-fi movie: The Three Body Problem (Liu Cixin's 三体 adaptation) but I doubt it can be a good one. Sci-fi movies set in China are too easy to catch censorship problems so it will take a long time before it's widely accepted. Not to mention, few countries other than HLW can constantly make good sci-fi movies, especially the big ones. Sci-fi movies require a big market and a highly sophisticated film industry. China may have the former but still lacks the latter.

Exciting. Is there a record on the number of days of increasing daily gross?

Probably nope. TMK will finally see decrease on Thursday with MH opening so that makes five days of increasing, not counting previews the week before last week.

Avatar opened on Monday. It could have five increasing days in its first week but there is no track back to then. The Man from Macao (2014) also had five. Macao 2 (2015) had four.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Probably nope. TMK will finally see decrease on Thursday with MH opening so that makes five days of increasing, not counting previews the week before last week.

Avatar opened on Monday. It could have five increasing days in its first week but there is no track back to then. The Man from Macao (2014) also had five. Macao 2 (2015) had four.

Thanks! Is MH 捉妖记?The publicity seems to suggest that it will be very well received. But don't they serve different demographic? I wonder why the theaters will want to cut back the number of shows for TMK to 10+% when its gross is still increasing. Edited by sgchn40

Next year have one big budget local sci-fi movie: The Three Body Problem (Liu Cixin's 三体 adaptation) but I doubt it can be a good one. Sci-fi movies set in China are too easy to catch censorship problems so it will take a long time before it's widely accepted. Not to mention, few countries other than HLW can constantly make good sci-fi movies, especially the big ones. Sci-fi movies require a big market and a highly sophisticated film industry. China may have the former but still lacks the latter.

The book is not banned in China, I believe it will be fine.

Thanks! Is MH 捉妖记?The publicity seems to suggest that it will be very well received. But don't they serve different demographic? I wonder why the theaters will want to cut back the number of shows for TMK to 10+% when its gross is still increasing.

yes.

MH also aims family audience so it will affect TMK but TMK still holds 20% screening on Thu. Here is the screening count: http://www.cbooo.cn/paipian

TT4 and FY are much affected.

Wednesday Estimates
1). TMK : Hero is back  ¥66M/cume: 259M($41.7M)   +16%
2). Forever Young  ¥21.7M/cume: 345M($55.5M) 
3). Tiny Times 4  ¥21M/cume: 445M($71.7M) 
4). Monk Comes Down The Mountain ¥5.8M/cume: 397M($63.9M)
5). MH midnights ¥4.5M/cume: 10.3M($1.7M)
  • Like 3

What is this movie TMK? It has been just growing and growing and growing. Amazing!!!

It's called 'The Monkey King: Hero Is Back' and it seems to be catching on with people of all ages in China with above-average animation and a unique family spin on a story (Journey to the West) that all Chinese are familiar with. 

I watched the trailer for The Monkey King: Hero Is Back and something about the animation and shading just made it seem so authentic and almost Dreamworks like.  The villain's animation and prowess-showcase was the best in my opinion.  I'm hoping it get's at least a limited release here in the States, the animation seems really good for a non-States or Japanese based animation film and the story centering around the bond between the young boy and the Monkey King is a theme anyone is receptive towards.  The only thing bugging me is the Monkey King's voice... it's really annoying. :D

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

PS. IO on July 30 is apparently untrue. No HLW release in August has been confirmed. (If there is still no announcement by next weekend, meaning the earliest HLW big release will be on Sep 6 or even later.)  Update: It's rumored T5, Pixels and Minions have a shot for late August, other films all aim for Sep and post-holiday Oct. 

To clear it up, IO and Minions will 100% get their China releases. They are just not dated yet.

Minions release date?

MH at 55m this morning. openers are harder to project. I think 125m-150m

TMK 12.7m. HW movies have a 5 multiplier. at this time, not sure if this will do 5x. 48m-60m?

It dropped from 24% to 21% showtimes, not bad

Edited by M F Lawrence