A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Life of Pi was imported as a full format revenue sharing movie. In theory it will have regular 2D, digital 3D, and digital IMAX 3D copies. But realistically, it will only have digital 3D and IMAX 3D copies. It will split 3D screening with 2012 3D and run in IMAX for 7 days - Nov.22~11.28

I told you guys long before.Be prepared for:Die Hard 5 vs GIJ2 vs Oz in March 2013FF6 vs EPIC vs ST2 in late May 2013Man of Steal vs Pacific Rim vs Lone Ranger in September 2013Thor 2 vs CF vs Frozen in November 2013 (Edit: More like CF vs Hobbit 2 in Jan/Feb 2014)...TF4 vs hobbit 3 in September 2014.....

Edited by firedeep

Blame it all on Titanic 3D. Had it not grossed so much, Chinese officials wouldn't have been forced to resort to simultaneously release strategy to limit Hollywood's share.

:rolleyes:Blame it on the Chinese officials who are far too precious about the share of local films. Edited by lab276

Mon-Thu for TBL about $1M for each day.Hefty drop for Bounre. It wont be #1 movie this week. $25M finish is hard at this point I would say.Terrible legs for recent HLW movies: Taken 2, TR, BD1, TBL.

These movies aren't appealing to Chinese, and they're not great (particularly Twilight and Taken 2)And for Hollywood they're fine, don't forget China isn't the only growth territory : they dominate in latin america where the growth is big, same thing in Russia.Hollywood yearly growth is huge, don't be worried about them. Edited by Fullbuster

Blame it all on Titanic 3D. Had it not grossed so much, Chinese officials wouldn't have been forced to resort to simultaneously release strategy to limit Hollywood's share.

Not this way.

:rolleyes:Blame it on the Chinese officials who are far too precious about the share of local films.

Yes, damm them. Sick.

These movies aren't appealing to Chinese, and they're not great (particularly Twilight and Taken 2)And for Hollywood they're fine, don't forget China isn't the only growth territory : they dominate in latin america where the growth is big, same thing in Russia.Hollywood yearly growth is huge, don't be worried about them.

They are not top scale ones, true. But legs for foreign movies seem to be worse and worse.

:rolleyes:Blame it on the Chinese officials who are far too precious about the share of local films.

I don't blame them. China is a communist economy, not market-economy. So the first rule is that if a local industry is threatened by a foreign entity, the government takes step to ensure the safety and survival of the local industry. It is not just for the movies; this policy will apply to all sectors of the economy.Still I would have preferred that they also tried to improve the quality of local films as a tool for increasing the local share.My point is, Chinese people should know that they now have limited money to spend on Hollywood movies, so they need to be more wise in their choice of films.

2013 looks especially weak for Hollywood movies in China.

2012 had 10 300M+ yuan HLW movies. 2013 wont come close to that. Local movies will destroy foreign movies in 2013. While I think overal box office yearly 2013 definitely can not cross 20B yuan mark, more like stay flat with 2012, first time in past 10 years, no yearly increase.

Possible 300M+ yuan foreign movies in 2013:

Skyfall 300~350m yuan

The Hobbit 300~350m yuan

Oz 250~330m yuan

IM3 500m yuan

FF6 400m yuan

Smurfs 2 450m yuan

Pacific Rim (if it is great and get a release) 300M yuan or so

Miserably weak ...

I don't blame them. China is a communist economy, not market-economy. So the first rule is that if a local industry is threatened by a foreign entity, the government takes step to ensure the safety and survival of the local industry. It is not just for the movies; this policy will apply to all sectors of the economy.Still I would have preferred that they also tried to improve the quality of local films as a tool for increasing the local share.My point is, Chinese people should know that they now have limited money to spend on Hollywood movies, so they need to be more wise in their choice of films.

So blame the fact that China is a communist country, not the films people choose to see.

2012 had 10 300M+ yuan HLW movies. 2013 wont come close to that. Local movies will destroy foreign movies in 2013. While I think overal box office yearly 2013 definitely can not cross 20B yuan mark, more like stay flat with 2012, first time in past 10 years, no yearly increase.

Skyfall 300~350m yuan

The Hobbit 300~350m yuan

Oz 250~330m yuan

IM3 500m yuan

FF6 400m yuan

Smurfs 2 450m yuan

Miserably weak ...

All markets hit a plateau at some point, it's just a fact of the box office. Edited by lab276

For 2012, foreign movies looks like will make about 8B~8.5B yuan ($1.3B~$1.35B) in total, a share just under 50% (likely around 47~48%).

For 2013, total box office for foreign movies will definitely go down, not increase, due to extemely lack of big movies. As a result, overal yearly theatical revenue will stay flat and a much bigger share (say 60%) for local movies is possible.

Skyfall 300~350m yuan

The Hobbit 300~350m yuan

Oz 250~330m yuan

IM3 500m yuan

FF6 400m yuan

Smurfs 2 450m yuan

Miserably weak ...

I don't think so, Iron Man 3 seems particularly promising there.

Iron Man 3, Monsters University, Man of Steel, Thor 2..and so on.Some here expect a weak 2013, but I don't imagine it, 2013 could be exciting IMO.

And Hollywood will grow in latin america, middle east, rest of asia and russia,

I don't think so, Iron Man 3 seems particularly promising there.Iron Man 3, Monsters University, Man of Steel, Thor 2..and so on.Some here expect a weak 2013, but I don't imagine it, 2013 could be exciting IMO.And Hollywood will grow in latin america, middle east, rest of asia and russia,

That list is just about China and numbers in yuan.500M yuan (more than $80M) for IM3 is great. (almost triples what IM2 did)MU will flop in China, as Pixar movies always do. MoS and THOR will do moderate numbers here.

So blame the fact that China is a communist country, not the films people choose to see.

Given the fact that the market economies of the world (especially Europe) are suffering from financial crisis and negative GDP growth while China is managing the best growth rates in the world, I can't blame the communist approach. Limiting the share of Hollywood movies also means limiting the flow of currency from the economy to outside. And this is a VERY important factor for sustaining growth rates. Growth rates are directly proportional to the amount saved and invested in your own economy.Surely the cap on Hollywood share will seem like a bad things for Chinese people, but ultimately it is for their own good.

Given the fact that the market economies of the world (especially Europe) are suffering from financial crisis and negative GDP growth while China is managing the best growth rates in the world, I can't blame the communist approach. Limiting the share of Hollywood movies also means limiting the flow of currency from the economy to outside. And this is a VERY important factor for sustaining growth rates. Growth rates are directly proportional to the amount saved and invested in your own economy.

Surely the cap on Hollywood share will seem like a bad things for Chinese people, but ultimately it is for their own good.

7%, 8%, or 9% GDP growth depends on what you count and how you count. All statistics in China is a mess. Not to mention GDP means nothing. The most imprtant thing is if you can make people live happy.

Surely the cap on Hollywood share will seem like a bad things for Chinese people, but ultimately it is for their own good.

Deadly wrong. The only good by limiting foreign movies poetential is for local movies producers (thus they produce more craps), not the majority audience. People want to see better movies in a better way and you dont let them ? That is NOT right.