10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Written in 1999Steven Spielberg really has had more of an affect in Hollywood than any other director except for maybe Hitchcock and Welles. Films like Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid and this one use techniques that I think he developed. There really is something horrifying when a camera films legs thrashing about under water as it approaches them, and then just before you think the person is going to get eaten, the camera cuts away to a shot of them on the surface, then back underwater and then the final fatal shot of the victim getting eaten or in this case suffocated and squeezed to death. Luis Llosa does an adequate job of creating tension, but the film really is a straight to video production. It's not a bad film, it's just not that great either. However, the cast in here really is quite good.Jennifer Lopez is a terrific actress as she was sexy and tough in Out Of Sight. Eric Stoltz has always been a dependable B actor that lends believability to any character that he plays, take The Prophecy and Pulp Fiction. Jon Voight is an Oscar winner and he was very good in Varsity Blues and even Ice Cube has shown us that he can act as he was great in Boyz N The Hood. And when I watched them in this film, my question was, what were they doing here? It feels like the talent in here should have been used for a better more ambitious project. I would honestly like to see this cast in a more serious film because I really feel that they have much more to offer than this average B horror film.Anaconda has some decent suspence in it and most of that is because of the water shots. The acting, as I have mentioned, is quite good too. But there is just something not quite right with this film. The snake really looks fake in many shots and the movie feels cheap. I wasn't really scared but I wasn't bored either. What you end up with is an entertaining film that is worth getting for an evening if you don't mind shelling out $3.00 for a rental. Simply put, this is a fun movie and it is not worth the sub 5 rating that imdb comments have given it, but it is not a classic horror film by any stretch.7/10

• Like 1