kayumanggi

PHILIPPINES BOX OFFICE thread​ | INSIDE OUT II breaks records. Only the last two AVENGERS movies opened bigger on opening day. But can it beat FROZEN II's total?

$12,121,660 | DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS

$9,044,190 | TOP GUN: MAVERICK

$8,092,798 | THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

$6,726,768 | BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER

$4,544,231 | JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION

The other films' numbers aren't updated. Will post again once we get the totals for each.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

top movies of 2022 (only $1 million grossers and above)

$12,121,660 |  Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

$08,092,798 | Thor: Love and Thunder

$06,815,812 | Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

$04,544,231 | Jurassic World: Dominion

$03,412,701 | Top Gun: Maverick

$02,761,472 | Avatar: The Way Of Water

Because of the local film festival in Christmas every year. Some of the big pre Christmas blockbusters opt to just open in January. I actually think that is a better strategy than opening before Christmas for a week and then disappearing for 2 weeks. The buzz is gone when you return.

PBO Facebook Page expecting this rankings

1. Partners In Crime

2. Labyu with An Accent

3. Deleter

4. Family Matters

5. My Teacher

6. Nanahimik ang Gabi

7. My Father, Myself 8. Mamasapano

I think Labyu could do better than Partners in Crime &I believe Deleter will be a strong performer. 

321651299-1314752956026230-2753238270648

Edited by Issac Newton

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

PBO Facebook Page expecting this rankings

1. Partners In Crime

2. Labyu with An Accent

3. Deleter

4. Family Matters

5. My Teacher

6. Nanahimik ang Gabi

7. My Father, Myself 8. Mamasapano

I think Labyu could do better than Partners in Crime &I believe Deleter will be a strong performer. 

321651299-1314752956026230-2753238270648

Are you interested in watching any of those?

I am interested in seeing Family Matters and actually think it may surprise and be number 2. 

Sadly I think the Philippines is one of the worst countries for box office enthusiasts for us. No site with a weekly top ten. Sometimes we need to wait until the studio announces the total gross. Numbers for flops hard to find. And even the MMFF remember a few years ago they made a new rule not to announce the box office gross so as to not create a bandwagon effect for the poor performers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

And even the MMFF remember a few years ago they made a new rule not to announce the box office gross so as to not create a bandwagon effect for the poor performers

I remember they didn't release Figures for 2020 &2021. Just a simple stats that box office of MMFF 2021 > MMFF 2020

Also, last year, there wasn't any interesting film to watch. Filipino was more interested in NWH, whose delay end up boycotting the entire Festival with empty theatres

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Released in August 2022, Maid in Malacañang really did good numbers. Well, I am not talking about the content/propaganda but people did showed up despite the negative reviews and ofc the election scam 

There's more to it than meets the eye. I do not believe the money it made was actually from the people's pockets. Life was so hard that time, people would not prioritize a movie over food on the table. Politics was involved. Free tickets were distributed. I thought cinemas were paid whether there were audiences or not. This was explained by the fact that the movie stayed in theaters even though no one was watching. If that was the case for a usual Hollywood movie, it would be pulled out from cinemas for not making money.

Edited by kayumanggi

Pre Covid Star Cinema would have a lot of mainstream rom com hits anytime in the year. 

They debate a lot about whether cinemas are dead in the main forum because of Covid and streaming. So far it feels really true here in the Philippines. If this years MMFF earns money I will be happy. That may also help future releases.

2 hours ago, Jonan23 said:

Pre Covid Star Cinema would have a lot of mainstream rom com hits anytime in the year. 

They debate a lot about whether cinemas are dead in the main forum because of Covid and streaming. So far it feels really true here in the Philippines. If this years MMFF earns money I will be happy. That may also help future releases.

And the fact that ticket prices have become so high. It's not ideal for a family to spend on movies anymore.

• Like 1