If I had to take a guess, the sitcom is indicaticve of Abed's inability to want to change, (leave Greendale after senior year in this case) and how going back to freshman year would keep them together longer. (I must admit, the MS Paint line was probably the funniest of the episode) Either way, it didn't feel as effective or smooth as the subtexts in any other episodes, and the episode last night certainly dissapointed.

Another thing that annoyed me is the pennies. That scene had great potential to be fleshed out, but they needed its own episode for that, so they just kind of left it hanging here. That bothered me.

If this quality keeps up, part of me has a sinking feeling of "why even bother" with this season, especially when the S3 finale would have made a damn fine series finale.

• Like 1

I watched it again. Further in depth:+ Opening with the sitcom parody was very clever and very Community. I'm sure a few people had almost-heart attack.- The snap back to reality didn't really do much to correct it though. The "Jessica Biel" line, "Lucky Charm", wasn't sure what was in store. - The Hunger Deans was the most forced aspect to me. You had the "toooooooooo" line that would've fallen completely flat without Rash, and all for the concept which was never referred back to and was ultimately a pointless pop culture reference. I was worried about this from some promos, like Abed randomly mentioning Die Hard 3 like some kind of punchline.+ "I'm gonna win with dignity!" *steals glasses and punches Leanord*- Returning to Abed TV served little purpose. The point was that it was a lame sitcom, which worked as a "Gotcha" gag but it wasn't something that warranted revisiting. + Greendale Babies Forever was awesome, though.- Pairing everyone up in unrelated stories hurt the flow, a lot. Especially when a couple were lame.+ There were quite a few nice lines and whatnot scattered through. Jeff and the Dean with most of them.+/- Abed's mental issues are a subject matter that can be brilliant if handled very carefully or just strange if not. The first time they tackled it in the Christmas episode resulted in an incredibly emotional ride that scored both laughs and uneasy tears, and probably my favorite episode. In season 3 they returned to the well while never committing to it quite like before with mixed results. I think this episode's subplot was really rocky but ultimately worked better than some of the stuff last season.- Gopher is right, a lot of these attempts at being meta and pop culture happy were empty and really are the scariest parts about it. I could personally live with a well-written sitcom with these characters while not possessing the former magic a lot better than a show trying very hard to recapture it and falling on its face.+ The episode really tried to establish that the new guys acknowledge the challenge in trying to save the show without Harmon and I felt very much like I as a fan was being told up front it'll be bumpy and that encourages me to keep an open mind and be more forgiving of mistakes because this can really go many different ways.But apparently there's an Inspector Spacetime themed episode coming up that will not be easy to stomach.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I watched it again. Further in depth:+ Opening with the sitcom parody was very clever and very Community. I'm sure a few people had almost-heart attack.- The snap back to reality didn't really do much to correct it though. The "Jessica Biel" line, "Lucky Charm", wasn't sure what was in store.- The Hunger Deans was the most forced aspect to me. You had the "toooooooooo" line that would've fallen completely flat without Rash, and all for the concept which was never referred back to and was ultimately a pointless pop culture reference. I was worried about this from some promos, like Abed randomly mentioning Die Hard 3 like some kind of punchline.+ "I'm gonna win with dignity!" *steals glasses and punches Leanord*- Returning to Abed TV served little purpose. The point was that it was a lame sitcom, which worked as a "Gotcha" gag but it wasn't something that warranted revisiting.+ Greendale Babies Forever was awesome, though.- Pairing everyone up in unrelated stories hurt the flow, a lot. Especially when a couple were lame.+ There were quite a few nice lines and whatnot scattered through. Jeff and the Dean with most of them.+/- Abed's mental issues are a subject matter that can be brilliant if handled very carefully or just strange if not. The first time they tackled it in the Christmas episode resulted in an incredibly emotional ride that scored both laughs and uneasy tears, and probably my favorite episode. In season 3 they returned to the well while never committing to it quite like before with mixed results. I think this episode's subplot was really rocky but ultimately worked better than some of the stuff last season.- Gopher is right, a lot of these attempts at being meta and pop culture happy were empty and really are the scariest parts about it. I could personally live with a well-written sitcom with these characters while not possessing the former magic a lot better than a show trying very hard to recapture it and falling on its face.+ The episode really tried to establish that the new guys acknowledge the challenge in trying to save the show without Harmon and I felt very much like I as a fan was being told up front it'll be bumpy and that encourages me to keep an open mind and be more forgiving of mistakes because this can really go many different ways.But apparently there's an Inspector Spacetime themed episode coming up that will not be easy to stomach.

THAT LAST LINE is something i'm very worried about. I have heard nothing but bad things from the convention episode which scares me a little. It's weird because a lot of the plots for episodes sounds like a Community plot. I do have faith they will find their footing. Like I said its better then Harmon's worst..(I still consider the worst episode of Community "Competitive Wine Tasting") Also I like the Lucky Charm line, thought that was something he would say. 

Edited by MGK17