Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I want to predict LoP for BP for some odd reason....

I'm not feeling the LoP love. I for sure don't see it winning BP, although it would be ironic seeing how Crash stole Lee's thunder when Brokeback was the frontrunner.

For that matter, I don't see Lee winning BD. I think it is between Spielberg and O'Russel and to a lesser extent Haneke.

Edited by CloneWars

• Founder / Operator

I've long been thinking that LoP could be in that Crash-type upset position. The lack of acting nods and fact that it didn't win SAG goes against it, but, all bets are off this year. I don't care how many awards Argo has won recently, it's a four-film race IMO judging by what the Academy has done lately.

If not LoP, Silver Linings has an incredible chance at an upset. It has the acting nods to back it up and a lot more momentum going into Oscar night (partly including the box office run).

Edited by ShawnMR

I'm not feeling the LoP love. I for sure don't see it winning BP, although it would be ironic seeing how Crash stole Lee's thunder when Brokeback was the frontrunner.

For that matter, I don't see Lee winning BD. I think it is between Spielberg and O'Russel and to a lesser extent Haneke.

My reasoning behind LoP, is that I can see Argo taking home only 1 Oscar which would be BP. That hasn't happened since 1932 in Grand Hotel, when that movie won on its only nomination. Sasha also brings up a good point. No film with that many noms has ever lost BP with 5 or more Oscar wins. I have it a 5. I can see it taking home 7 without BP. I think it could have a very good shot at winning. 

Directing could go Haneke I think. The turnout's up substantially this year, reportedly, more younger people, and more older people are voting. The younger, more cool and hip demographic could actually make this year fairly unpredictable. 

• Founder / Operator

My reasoning behind LoP, is that I can see Argo taking home only 1 Oscar which would be BP. That hasn't happened since 1932 in Grand Hotel, when that movie won on its only nomination. Sasha also brings up a good point. No film with that many noms has ever lost BP with 5 or more Oscar wins. I have it a 5. I can see it taking home 7 without BP. I think it could have a very good shot at winning. 

Directing could go Haneke I think. The turnout's up substantially this year, reportedly, more younger people, and more older people are voting. The younger, more cool and hip demographic could actually make this year fairly unpredictable. 

That's a big positive for SLP, IMO.

That's a big positive for SLP, IMO.

See I don't see it that way. The younger demographic of the Academy couldn't really care less for a rom-com. they want to vote for the cool movies. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoos, the There Will Be Bloods, the Social Networks. And this year movies like Amour, Argo, , Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Life of Pi to lesser extents. There isn't really a movie this year that strikes me as the "it" movie. SLP, Lincoln, and others primarily strike me and probably struck academy members as traditional academy, "stuffy", "old", movies. 

And we also have to remember that the younger demographic of the academy really is anyone under the age of 50-55 years old. We're not talking about people in the late teens and early twenties that will fangirl or fanboy over SLP. These are people who've acquired some taste over the years but haven't developed a huge penchant for sentimentality yet. 

• Founder / Operator

See I don't see it that way. The younger demographic of the Academy couldn't really care less for a rom-com. they want to vote for the cool movies.

They played a part in nominating it for all four acting categories on top of Editing (crucial for a BP contender). I think it's hard to say that any demographic of the Academy could care less for SLP. Especially with a cast that includes Cooper and Lawrence who hold significant appeal with the younger demos. 

This isn't to say I think SLP is the favorite, but it seems to be more absent from the conversation (here and across the web) than I think it should be when it comes to possible upsets. I'd honestly give it better odds of winning than Lincoln or LoP.

Edited by ShawnMR

They played a part in nominating it for all four acting categories on top of Editing (crucial for a BP contender). I think it's hard to say that any demographic of the Academy could care less for SLP. Especially with a cast that includes Cooper and Lawrence who hold significant appeal with the younger demos. 

This isn't to say I think SLP is the favorite, but it seems to be more absent from the conversation (here and across the web) than I think it should be when it comes to possible upsets. I'd honestly give it better odds of winning than Lincoln or LoP.

You don't need the entire academy to go for you to get nominations. You need something like 70 votes at most to get BP. Something like 300-400 to get an acting. And that's assuming the entire membership votes for nominations. And, when we refer to the Academy's younger demographic, it isn't really a younger demographic in the traditional sense. These aren't you're 20 year olds, the Academy younger demographic is the 40 year olds give or take 5-10 years on either side. I don't believe Cooper and JLaw holds too much appeal over these people.