BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

How does Fiesta Del Cine affects the weekends around it in Spain?

Considering the weekends are already shit, you should not be worry about that.

But I see a big problem for this year edition: Football. La Fiesta del Cine will be from Monday 11th until Wednesday 13th. Both on Tuesday and Wednesday will be played the second matches of Champions League semi-finals, with Madrid and Barcelona involved in both matches. Bad dates choice.

• Like 1

How big will AoU be here? Any pre-indications?

It would be great if it is able to match what TA did (close to 2.4 million admissions). However, that would mean a lower gross since prices have fallen and 3D ratio will not probably be as big as TA's, so we should not expect to outgross TA (€16m - $20m). Although I wish I am wrong.

• Like 2

It would be great if it is able to match what TA did (close to 2.4 million admissions). However, that would mean a lower gross since prices have fallen and 3D ratio will not probably be as big as TA's, so we should not expect to outgross TA (€16m - $20m). Although I wish I am wrong.

I think it's good if it can stay close to flat. Do you think there any local films that can challenge 8 APELLIDOS VASCOS this year?

Or indeed any Hollywood films for that matter.

Edited by Rsyu

I think it's good if it can stay close to flat. Do you think there any local films that can challenge 8 APELLIDOS VASCOS this year?

Or indeed any Hollywood films for that matter.

I don't think any local movie will do even one third of 8AV gross this year

• Like 1

As much as I loved 8AV, I don't think it's impossible to replicate a film of its quality either. Why is the local film market in such a bad shape? 

As much as I loved 8AV, I don't think it's impossible to replicate a film of its quality either. Why is the local film market in such a bad shape? 

Well, nothing will match 8AV, not even the sequel very probably (next year), but this year will be released Regression, the next Amenábar film. It is starred by Emma Watson and Ethan Hawke. Amenábar films have always made huge grosses, mainly since The Others:

Thesis (1996): 854,869 admissions - 2,647,055 €

Open your eyes (1997): 1,794,331 adm - 6,442,472 €

The Others (2001): 6,410,561 adm - 27,254,163 €

The sea inside (2004): 4,099,442 adm - 19,837,473 €

Agora (2009): 3,492,572 adm - 21,391,198 €

I think Regression can make really big numbers. But 8AV is another world. I do not have the exact final number but it was close to be the second highest film in admissions ever. The fight with Avatar was very close. Some sources say that 8AV sold 9.5 million (Ministry of Culture say 9,360,237), what matches the Avatar figure.

Another candidate is A monster calls, from Juan Antonio Bayona, director of The Orphanage (4.5 million adm) and The Impossible (6.1 million). It will be released next year and seeing how well received are this director's films here, I do not discard that it could make big numbers. But, again, to talk about 8AV is extremely risky. That happens once a life.

Said this, local industry has never been very well received here. At least in last two or three decades. Many people do not see Spanish films never. NEVER. They think the themes treated are not interesting. Many dramas, a feeling that always movies are about Spanish Civil War, which is a theme people avoids, or many naked scenes. And that people do not like that Government gives money to make films that they do not like and do not return benefits. Many people ask why we do not make more entertainment and not so much social or drama films. There is a political issue too. Most of the cinema people have supported Left parties, something that some media and people do not like. And of course, there are quite bad films. But IMO, Spanish people are too critic with its own culture. We have always been quite self-destructive...

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

Can someone explain me this incredible phenomenon? It seems that over 1/4 of spanish people have seen that movie. Impressive!  ;)

Several reasons. Enormous media campaign. The film was produced by Mediaset, owner of a big national TV channel, which dedicated hours and hours to promote the film. Something similar happened with other huge films like "Tad, the lost explorer" and "The Impossible" in 2012.

Another reason is the theme of the film. France and, if I remember well, Italy, did similar films in the past, contrasting two very different parts of each country. In Spain there are 17 communities, and all of them have their own peculiarities and cliches. In 8AV case, the film contrasts two very different regions like Andalusia, very open and funny people, and Basque Country, who are more serious. It seems that the sequel will mix the characters of the first one with at least another very controversial region: Catalonia (where Barcelona is sited).

And WOM. The film is not a masterpiece. Probably, it is not even a good film, but most people I know left the cinema saying they have had lot of fun. There have been critics, of course, but I have found few of them. If you do not take it too seriously, it is a good entertainment.

• Like 1

Yeah 8AV was great fun for sure.

So it seems that it was a one off box office hit..a shame really. But still I'm sure no one predicted 8AV numbers before its run so you never know ;)

• Like 1

Considering the weekends are already shit, you should not be worry about that.

But I see a big problem for this year edition: Football. La Fiesta del Cine will be from Monday 11th until Wednesday 13th. Both on Tuesday and Wednesday will be played the second matches of Champions League semi-finals, with Madrid and Barcelona involved in both matches. Bad dates choice.

That is the exact same date as here. I was just asking because it never happened before over here. Hot Pursuit opens on May 7 so I have to assume the weekend will be weak but Mon-Wed will compensate for that. Other thing I am expecting is a harsh drop for Avengers 2 because people will wait for la Fiesta to see it.

• Like 1

Yeah 8AV was great fun for sure.

So it seems that it was a one off box office hit..a shame really. But still I'm sure no one predicted 8AV numbers before its run so you never know ;)

Well, no one has ever predicted here something like that. Let's remember that the OW of 8AV was €2.8m and finished with €55m...

• Like 2

That is the exact same date as here. I was just asking because it never happened before over here. Hot Pursuit opens on May 7 so I have to assume the weekend will be weak but Mon-Wed will compensate for that. Other thing I am expecting is a harsh drop for Avengers 2 because people will wait for la Fiesta to see it.

The last time 2.2m admissions were sold during La Fiesta del Cine Here (€6.3m) so don't worry about a weekend a little bit less crowded ;)

• Like 1

Several reasons. Enormous media campaign. The film was produced by Mediaset, owner of a big national TV channel, which dedicated hours and hours to promote the film. Something similar happened with other huge films like "Tad, the lost explorer" and "The Impossible" in 2012.

Another reason is the theme of the film. France and, if I remember well, Italy, did similar films in the past, contrasting two very different parts of each country. In Spain there are 17 communities, and all of them have their own peculiarities and cliches. In 8AV case, the film contrasts two very different regions like Andalusia, very open and funny people, and Basque Country, who are more serious. It seems that the sequel will mix the characters of the first one with at least another very controversial region: Catalonia (where Barcelona is sited).

And WOM. The film is not a masterpiece. Probably, it is not even a good film, but most people I know left the cinema saying they have had lot of fun. There have been critics, of course, but I have found few of them. If you do not take it too seriously, it is a good entertainment.

Yes, I know very well Mediaset, it's an italian company which produces a lot of movie here, like for a example La Grande Bellezza.

And yes, you remember well. We had two movies with similar themes, and they did very well at the Box Office. Benvenuti al Sud (€30m) and its sequel, Benvenuti al Sud (€27m). In these movies there is the classic italian contrast between north and south.

Edited by Zamor
  • Like 1

so around 3.36 million? What kind of Sat+Sun numbers can we expect from that?

You are right. Luckily the euro is a little bit stronger this weekend. I would say around $7.5m OW. The weather is lovely here in the Mediterranean coast, warm and sunny. That's not good for the afternoon shows. But it is raining in the north of the country.

Edited by Henry The Last Avenger
  • Like 3

You are right. Luckily the euro is a little bit stronger this weekend. I would say around $7.5m OW. The weather is lovely here in the Mediterranean, warm and sunny. That's not good for the afternoon shows. But it is raining in the north of country.

So OW should be roughly on par with/slightly higher than TA1. Excellent  ^_^

• Like 1