[*]Sinister NEW

[*]Argo

[*]Paranormal Activity 4

[*]Looper

[*]Arbitrage

[*]Tadeo Jones

[*]Taken 2

Edited by BCN

Isn't thursday a holiday in Spain?Thought it would ensure the Bond movie a first spot.Surprisingly, it must've helped Lo Imposible more than it did to Skyfall.That film doesn't stop impressing me, what a beast :congrats:

Edited by Ajde

Isn't thursday a holiday in Spain?Thought it would ensure the Bond movie a first spot.Surprisingly, it must've helped Lo Imposible more than it did to Skyfall.That film doesn't stop impressing me, what a beast :congrats:

Yes, today is holiday in the whole country. I thought Skyfall would beat The Impossible too. I was thinking in 5.5 million € for Skyfall and 4.5 million for The Impossible (5-day numbers), but it seems The Impossible will win.

Damn, the Impossible is really a beast in Spain.Skyfall can hardly beat its 4th weekend! :o

Proportionally, The Impossible is like Avengers in US. It will get the third spot in all-time ranking behind Avatar and Titanic. And if Titanic had not been re-released it could have got the second spot. I think it will fly over 38 million € Titanic's original run but it will not reach 41.5 million €, which is the new Titanic's gross.

Avatar is so far ahead in Spain, I can't imagine a movie passing it, particularly during a crisis like this one.BTW I'm surprised Spanish people seem to have some money left for a movie in particular, I guess most of them are working adults in their 40s/50s + retirees, because with a 55% unemployment rate for the young people there I can't imagine they have much money left, or just for partying some nghts (and yet..)

Edited by Fullbuster

Avatar is so far ahead in Spain, I can't imagine a movie passing it, particularly during a crisis like this one.BTW I'm surprised Spanish people seem to have some money left for a movie in particular, I guess most of them are working adults in their 40s/50s + retirees, because with a 55% unemployment rate for the young people there I can't imagine they have much money left, or just for partying some nghts (and yet..)

Yes, Avatar in unreachable (76 million €)But I do not agree too much with the other aspect you comment. That is correct that people do not go as much to cinema as before crisis (just 2 times per person and year. Before crisis we went 3 times per year), but the fact is we go proportionally the same to all the movies than in US, for instance. I will try to explain.The biggest movie in US this year is Avengers with 623 million. In Spain, for the moment, the biggest movie is The Impossible which can finish with 50 million $. Both are exceptional cases. The Impossible will rank third of all-time at the end of its run, in the same way than Avengers. The factor between them is about 12.5, so 100 million in US=8 million in Spain. For the moment, this year US has had 20 movies over 100 million. Spain has 18 movies over 8 million this year.Even if you take a movie which has made 10 times less than highest. In us that movie is Underworld Awakening, which ranks #35. in Spain that movie is War horse which ranks #32. Proportionally, we have very similar rankings.

The Impossible is with €27.5MM the new highest box office Spanish film ever. Congratulations. Rentrak

Over The Others and The Orphanage

Expected, but still great. The Others has held the record 11 years. We will see if any movie is able to reach its 6.4 million admissions.

Good or bad?

I do not have data to compare with other similar holiday weekends. The Impossible opened on Thursday 11th, just before another national holiday to 1.2 million, so Skyfall is opening with about a half of that. If nobody corrects me I would consider it expected. 5-day weekend could go about 5 or 6 million €. Quantum of Solace opened to 4 million but its main competition was second weekend of Saw 2, not a monster like The Impossible or big animation movies like Tadeo Jones or HT. I think they are quite good news.Just to point I have just come from cinema. I had not ever seen a so crowded cinema in my life. People were taking photos to queues. It is a complex with 18 screens and I have needed 1 hour to buy tickets. I do not know if The Impossible is making people back to cinemas, but the fact is that today cinemas are full.
  • Like 1

Just to point I have just come from cinema. I had not ever seen a so crowded cinema in my life. People were taking photos to queues. It is a complex with 18 screens and I have needed 1 hour to buy tickets. I do not know if The Impossible is making people back to cinemas, but the fact is that today cinemas are full.

Which film have you just come back from, Skyfall or The Impossible? :D

Just to point I have just come from cinema. I had not ever seen a so crowded cinema in my life. People were taking photos to queues. It is a complex with 18 screens and I have needed 1 hour to buy tickets. I do not know if The Impossible is making people back to cinemas, but the fact is that today cinemas are full.

Portugal needs Twilight to open as soon as possible...