BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

So, isn't Spain in the midst of a crisis? What's with all the box office records recently? ;)

Some event movies. The Impossible has been an enourmous success in marketing for one of the biggest TV channel in the country (Telecinco), which produced the movie. BD2 has made essentially the same than BD1. I think it has even sold less admissions than BD1 OW, but the VAT increase (from 8% to 21%) makes easier to get higher grosses. And I am convinced TH will beat the OW again.Maybe this special movies make people come back to cinemas, but I think this is an illusion. After Christmas, I am afraid we will see again horrible numbers. I wish I am wrong, but the general situation is not better than 3 months ago.
  • Like 1

The highest crossing movie GWTW(1939) was during the big recession. Cinema is not prohibitively expensive,not to flee from one's sorrows.

You are right. The Spanish problem with box office is not so high prices. That is a problem, but I think it is not the main problem. People spend much time on streets and prefer to spend money in another type of leisure beyond movies. You can see full streets until 9-10 PM in Winter in every city. If I am not wrong, that is difficult to see on other European countries, excepting very big cities.And many people wait to download movies and watch them at home. In 2004, Spain had a good economical status. 143 million admissions were sold. In 2008, with far more Internet connections but still with a good economical situation, admissions sold dropped to 107 million. That is a 25% drop in 4 years without crisis. Since 2008, 3.5-4 million jobs have been destroyed, but number of admissions has "only" dropped to 98 million (2011). That is a mere 8% in 3 years. Crisis is guilty, but not as much as piracy. We love free things.

True. On the other hand, box office allegedly is down in Spain. I guess people are just more selective. As long as they select Hobbit, i don't really care. ;)

I thought the same than you, but data refused me. Just Avatar has made numbers above average, but in general people go to movies in the same proportion than US, for instance.We have already discussed in other threads that proportion between Spain and US in box office is 1:12.5, so we have 8 million $ in Spain=100 million $ in USA. Until now, in 2012, Spain has 20 movies over 8 million $ and USA has 23 movies over 100 million. Last 4 years we have:2008: Spain 33 - USA 292009: Spain 30 - USA 322010: Spain 29 - USA 302011: Spain 24 - USA 30Last year was awful, but the trend is quite regular. Anyway, you should not be worried about TH here. There are an enourmous hype. The Impossible numbers could be reached.

You realize you're fueling expectations? You better not be wrong. :P

Of course, I can be wrong, but the hype here is incredible. I find difficult TH sells less than 4 million admissions (LOTR sold between 6.4 and 7 million). That would give a total over 40 million $. LOTR was the biggest event in Spanish box office just behind Titanic and Avatar. Right now, I am thinking in 5 million admissions and over 50 million $.

weekend box office €

1 BREAKING DAWN       9,200,000 new2 THE IMPOSSIBLE      1,180,000 (-45%)3 HOTEL TRANSYKLVANIA   880,000 (-38%)4 SKYFALL               860,000 (-51%)5 TINKER BELL           630,000 (-22%)6 aLEX CROSS            330,000 new7 aRGO                  290,000 (-32%)8 DANS LA MAISON        240,000 (-23%)9 TADEO JONES           170,000 (-37%)0 ANGEL`S SHARE         160,000 new
new weekend

[*]Trouble with the curve

[*]Chasin Mavericks

[*]High School

[*]The man with the iron fists

[*]Fin (spain)

[*]Hasta la vista (Belgium)

[*]Cesare deve morire (italia)