Gopher

The 2013 Box Office Awards (Master/Cloud Atlas lead)

Okay, goddammit. To whom should I give this nice, golden prize that I just received? Huh?

that you received? Last time I checked there were a dozen of people who helped on that thread, and the prize belongs to them too.

You selfish bastard! 

• Like 1

MOST ANNOYING FANBOYS 

The nominees are... 

Winsome Whedon Worshippers BKB iJackNolanites (Batman/TDK fans)Noctis

And the winner is... 

BKB REACHER

I'm THRILLED to get this award!  :D I've had a great year- I predicted Marvel's Awesome AVENGERS to tear down the pretentious Christopher Nolan and his stupid TDKR film which nobody liked or saw. Want some alcohol for that wound, Nolanites?  :stretcher: The best part is, I never let anyone forget about it.  :hi5: 

• Like 8

Another BP tribute and then we're gonna take a short break! 

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuWquLJF8g

"Up until the Oscar nominations were announced, I had zero interest in Silver Linings Playbook. I watched the trailer, and thought that although Jennifer Lawrence seemed pretty good, the rest of the movie just looked a generic romantic comedy. I also really dislike Bradley Cooper as an actor, so all in all, the movie was off my radar. All the other nominations and critical acclaim didn’t sway my opinion, and it was looking like I would never go see Silver Linings Playbook. Then, it got nominated in every acting category along with the expected Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars. That’s when I sighed, and decided to go see this movie, in hopes that I would like it.

After seeing five films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, Silver Linings Playbook ended up being the last one I will be able to see before that awards ceremony, and in this case, I did indeed, though unintentionally, save the best for last. I’m an optimist at heart, (my other two favorites for Best Picture,Life of Pi and Les Miserables, also champion the optimistic spirit) and Silver Linings Playbook is one of the most optimistic movies you’ll find from 2012. It follows a man named Pat, who has just been spent eight months in a psych ward for beating his wife’s lover to near-death thanks to his undiagnosed bipolarity. As he tries to get past the restraining order, he encounters Tiffany, a girl who says she can get a letter to his wife, if and only if Pat enters a dance contest with her. This is the basic premise ofSilver Linings Playbook, and it works wonderfully.

If I was to blame the undeniable success of Silver Linings Playbook on anyone, it’d be on writer-director David O. Russell. Following up his critically acclaimed The Fighter, Russell has made his finest film yet, with an incredibly sharp script that easily balances drama and comedy. Forget Ted or 21 Jump Street, this is the funniest movie of 2012. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is a good reason for this, but the script is the main source of the laughs. It also is just plain uplifting, and the climatic dance sequence can only be described by one word: exhilarating. Indeed, his rapid directing style perfectly matches the bipolar material.

However, Russell has proven himself to be a true actor’s director. The Fighter had already proved this, but Silver Linings Playbook‘s three major performances further the truth of this statement. Remember how I said I hated Bradley Cooper? This movie made me love him as an actor, as he gives the best performance of his career as Pat, a man who I cared for, scared me, and made me laugh. The scene where he breaks down over not being able to find his wedding video is just astounding acting. Robert de Niro gives his best performance in a long while, and his scene with Cooper asleep made me tear up. However, the best performance of the film is Jennifer Lawrence, who proves once again she’s a force to be reckoned. Her character is the heart of the film, and what all audiences will remember leaving the theater. If I ran the Oscars, all three of these actors would win their respective categories: the performances are just so good.

The rest of the movie is incredible too, but it’d take far too long to dwell on the nice soundtrack, the rest of the amazing ensemble, and the overall feeling of happiness Silver Linings Playbook gives you. Russell has constructed a masterpiece of idealism, love, and struggles wrapped up in a hilarious romantic comedy about mental illnesses. Silver Linings Playbook is the best film of 2012, and one of the best romantic comedies of all time."

By Break-It Blank 

"Every year, there is one film that stands above the rest. You never know what it's going to be or when you are going to see it, but when you do, you know. This year, to be honest, I had three films that really left me in awe. Those three films are Argo, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Silver Linings Playbook. All three get perfect scores but for different reasons. But when forced to pick one film as the absolute best of the year, my vote goes to Silver Linings Playbook.

At first glance it seems like it's a film about characters that none of can really relate to. Bradley Cooper plays former teacher Pat Solitano, who has just completed a stint at a mental institution. He was placed in there because one day he came home early from work and found his wife and the history teacher in the shower together. His wedding song was playing as well. He obviously had a difficult time overcoming this. But he is determined to put his life back together and reconcile with his wife. He then meets Tiffany, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She is the sister of his friend's wife and her husband has just recently passed away from a car accident. She has been on medication and her and Pat hit it off instantly. He still thinks she is a little weird but then again she thinks he is as well.

Who hasn't felt alone? Who hasn't wanted to have a chance to do something over, to make life better? I think we all have and perhaps this is the reason SLP is so relatable. Pat and Tiffany are broken people. They are scarred and they are hurting. Life is tough. Life is hard. And for some it's not easy to bounce back from adversity. For Pat and Tiffany, they learn to cope and to move on by finding the silver linings in life. They might be small steps, but to use a Neil Armstrong analogy, the tiny steps they take become giant leaps in the future.

Silver Linings Playbook is blessed with brilliant performances by everyone as witnessed by all four leads getting nominated for an Oscar. But even the smaller players are brilliant. Chris Tucker has never been better. John Ortiz is hilarious as Pat's friend who is breaking his balls to please his trophy wife. He ends up taking Pat's marital advice which ultimately saves his marriage. His wife is played by Julia Stiles and she nails the demanding and bitchy wife role to perfection. Everyone in the film is pretty much perfect.

David O'Russell has written and directed a film that touches the heart, the mind and spirit. I know that sounds a little sappy but it is true. It's a monumental achievement in film and one that I consider the best film of the year."

By baumer 

• Like 4

BEST TV SHOW- DRAMA 

The nominees are...

Breaking Bad Game of Thrones Homeland Mad Men Sherlock 

And the winner is... 

BEST TV SHOW- COMEDY 

The nominees are... 

30 Rock Girls 

How I Met Your Mother Parks and Recreation South Park 

And the winner is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Nqzx4Z1FA