Gopher

The 2013 Box Office Awards (Master/Cloud Atlas lead)

MOST DISAPPOINTING BOX OFFICE RUNThe nominees are...Battleship ($65,422,625)Cloud Atlas ($27,063,858 to date)The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (est. $287,395,000 to date)John Carter ($73,078,100)Rise of the Guardians ($98,936,363 to date)

And the winner (loser?) is... 

CLOUD ATLAS- $27,101,272

I blame three things for this. The first was release date, and this one is WB's fault. They dumped this film, they knew it couldn't play big and they kicked it to the curb because they only bought distribution rights from the Wachowskis for 20m. It didn't have Oscar potential, so why bother releasing it in the fall when the film was finished in the spring? They opened it the last weekend of October, in which it competed with Halloween parties and Hurricane Sandy, and later competed with Flight, Skyfall, Lincoln and a whole slew of critically-acclaimed adult releases. It was destined to shed its theater count in a few week's time. 

The second was critics, who generally appreciated the movie but found it more lacking than I would have expected. Anyone who calls this film the worst of the year- numerous have- doesn't understand how movies are made and what it takes to get them made. Like or dislike the movie all you want, but there are hundreds of films every year that try less and succeed at doing less than Cloud Atlas. 

The third was American audiences themselves and their unwillingness to take a risk when they go to the movies. All I heard about the film before release was about how it was three hours and that there were six stories and actors playing different parts and that it would be incomprehensible. It looked "too weird" to most, which is a shame, because everyone I've personally come across that saw the film loved it. They adored it. It's not a hard movie to understand and its themes play quite broadly. 

I'll quote Devin Faraci and say that this is why we're getting an Entourage movie. Let's hope it finds a wider audience on DVD.

• Like 3

*ahem*

I'd like to thank my fellow perverts CJohn, ChD, Michael G Scott, Icerolls among others for making the Monday Numbers thread the most unexpected treat of my stay on this forum. Even though the thing ran out of steam near the end, its was still enormously fun and just fucking absurd. 

I'd also like to thank the mods for not banning anyone of us

Thank you

• Like 3

*ahem*

I'd like to thank my fellow perverts CJohn, ChD, Michael G Scott, Icerolls among others for making the Monday Numbers thread the most unexpected treat of my stay on this forum. Even though the thing ran out of steam near the end, its was still enormously fun and just fucking absurd. 

I'd also like to thank the mods for not banning anyone of us

Thank you

Yay for what ended up being 20% of a good thread and 80% of people talking about how amazing they were for making a bunch of dick jokes. :D

• Like 4

Another BP tribute! 

THE MASTER

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwGs96-s_I

"With a tight script, outstanding cinematography, and phenomenal performances from the three leads, Paul Thomas Anderson gives us yet another example of why he is arguably the greatest director of his generation. What's great about PTA's film is that they are experiences, not just films. I couldn't help but be brought into the world in which the story was told. Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman give the best performances of their careers. The processing scene is definitely one of the best of the year, and the two actors play off each other so well. Amy Adams gives a subdued, yet powerful performance as Dodd's (PSH) wife. She supports her husband, yet has more power than is originally thought. One scene in particular demonstrates this, which I'll leave for you to figure out. It may not be for everyone, but it's the best experience I've had at a theater in years."

By acsc1312 

"The Master is about two men who are in love. Not in a sexual way- it's abundantly clear that Quell is a straight man- but almost in a paternal way, a theme that pervades much of Paul Thomas Anderson's work. Some say The Master about scientology and the dangers of cults, but I think the themes and the questions this film brings to light are much grander: who are our masters, and why do we succumb to them? 

Take the tortured soul of Freddie Quell. One look on Joaquin Phoenix's face and you know this man has seen everything. His performance is so good- transforming his body and soul into this alcoholic daze of a man- it almost goes past quality. If this were his first feature role, you would just assume that he is like this all the time. But Hoffman steps up his game as Lancaster Dodd, a man seeking to place men above the animal kingdom but who also loves Quell's moonshine and his antics. Freddie clearly represents everything The Cause is trying to reform. Dodd becomes burdened by the constraints of his own movement and wishes to tap into Freddie's fearless, chaotic spirit. But Adams, who keeps Dodd on the straight path, controls Dodd as well, holding him back from experiencing the same liberation from control that Freddie does. 

And so, The Master becomes a heartbreaking story about two opposed men who seek refuge in one another and try to co-opt the best in one another. It's a character study for sure, and audiences expecting a film driven by plot were bound to be disappointed. But the virtues of The Master are so much greater than its visceral pleasures, even the hypnotic score and the transcendent performances and the 70mm cinematography and the terrific dialogue. This story ends in a lamentable acceptance that believing in something bigger than ourselves is a worthless substitute for a deeper connection like the one Dodd and Quell. It's no less embracing than finding solace in a whore made of sand. 

I'll never forget The Master. In a career of awe-inspiring highs, Paul Thomas Anderson has made a movie so emphatically his own, and it may be his best. PTA is done aping the styles of other directors. This guy is making art."

By Gopher 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

MOST IMPRESSIVE BOX OFFICE RUN

The nominees are...

The Hunger Games ($408,010,692)Lincoln (est. $170,786,518 to date)Marvel's The Avengers ($623,357,910)Skyfall (est. $302,044,126 to date)Ted ($218,815,487)

And the winner is... 

THE HUNGER GAMES- $408,010,692

Let's look at where The Hunger Games accomplished. It joins Avatar, Titanic, Star Wars, ET and Spider-Man as the only non-sequels that hit 400m unadjusted. It approached the first Harry Potter film in terms of admissions- even though Potter was already iconic before the movies came out- and blew away the admissions of every other Potter and Twilight film. It had one of the most attended opening weekends of all time and became a phenomenon. 

And it did all of this with a March release date and a female lead.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6

Well, im not going to apologize for winning. Blame the people. Fuck yall

You didn't win shit! Just cos you fucked that shit up don't mean you can claim victory! You oughtta be sitting with me, Taylor Swift and Steven Spielberg at the losers table.

You didn't win shit! Just cos you fucked that shit up don't mean you can claim victory! You oughtta be sitting with me, Taylor Swift and Steven Spielberg at the losers table.

And Tommy Lee Jones :ph34r: