Impact

Best Actor-2013

I'm just going to say that I'm not sold on a DiCaprio nom. The AMPAS has a difficult history with him, and the rumours that this is bordering NC-17 is disconcerting to say the least. The Academy we live with today is no longer the edgy Academy of the 1960s and 70s where things like Midnight Cowboy won or where Bonnie and Clyde almost won over Oliver (? This might be Butch Cassidy though. But Bonnie and Clyde almost did win). They are much more conservative and like their comfort movies. Edgy Marty and this very very hard R rating I think will put a lot of Academy voters off. I think a win at this point (without having seen the movie) is very difficult and a nom is also going to be challenging.And regarding Redford, he is isn't in a movie like The Artist or Children of a Lesser God where the characters of Dujardin and Matlin were charming and it made sense that they were silent. I mean the Artist was a silent film, come on! But, All is Lost is different and I think that it will be very difficult for the Academy to connect and really fall in love with the film. They've connected with difficult films before, such as Amour, but in those cases the subject matter made it easier and All is Lost's lack of dialogue IMO with really hinder it in the end.

Wow, not a single mention of Oscar Isaac in this thread? Apparently, his performance as a struggling folk singer in the Coens' new film, "Inside Llewyn Davis," is quite remarkable.

I predict he will win, and not just because of his first name. Mark it, Dude.

Wow, not a single mention of Oscar Isaac in this thread? Apparently, his performance as a struggling folk singer in the Coens' new film, "Inside Llewyn Davis," is quite remarkable.I predict he will win, and not just because of his first name. Mark it, Dude.

Too young. Too pretty.