Impact

Best Actress-2013

Ok, so Cate is shoe-in nominee (many big scenes, the restaurant one with kids probably her Oscar clip) but I'm not sold on a win. It's much more a comedy than tragedy (and her timing is perfect while hammy acting actually pays off unlike serious drama) and AMPAS has already rewarded a comedic one last year. Plus, I may be wrong but isn't Meryl's role in a similar boozey/neurotic fashion so they could caqncel each other.

But I surprisnigly loved the character and was really rooting for her to end well.

Last year's nominees were so lame. Lawrence (who I love and who was very good, don't get me wrong) benefited from being in such a shit year. Chastain's performance was good if these were the Emmys, I guess. Serviceable and absolutely nothing more.

Last year's nominees were so lame. Lawrence (who I love and who was very good, don't get me wrong) benefited from being in such a shit year. Chastain's performance was good if these were the Emmys, I guess. Serviceable and absolutely nothing more.

Ric's crying a Riva in T minus 5...4....3....2....1

Ok, so Cate is shoe-in nominee (many big scenes, the restaurant one with kids probably her Oscar clip) but I'm not sold on a win. It's much more a comedy than tragedy (and her timing is perfect while hammy acting actually pays off unlike serious drama) and AMPAS has already rewarded a comedic one last year. Plus, I may be wrong but isn't Meryl's role in a similar boozey/neurotic fashion so they could caqncel each other.

But I surprisnigly loved the character and was really rooting for her to end well.

Meryl's role is boozy, drugged-up, cancered, crazy, neurotic, yes. But, she gets to show more range than Cate the Great. She gets her really quiet and intimate scenes, and then there's the plates and the kitchen scenes. There's the pill scene, which is really a go crazy scene. There's just so much more in the movie for Meryl. You get to sympathise with her, but you get to hate her and the whole nine yards. And as some people have said, "I don't see how the AMPAS would vote for someone else after seeing Meryl." 

Ric's crying a Riva in T minus 5...4....3....2....1

RIVA DESERVED TO FUCKING WIN. (And it continues to prove my point that the BAFTA acting winners are on a whole better than the AMPAS ones.) 

Riva was great and probably deserved to win. I don't know if the same would be true in other years though.

WTF do you mean? Of course she deserved to win, and she would deserve to win in every year. Bar possibly 2006 due to Mirren. And she'd probably loose to Huppert in 2001 if she'd been nominated for La Pianiste. 

Ric, any hope for Seyfried's Lovelace nod? There must be an ingenue,right?

Zero. I refer you to last year's Supporting categories. There doesn't have to be an ingenue, even though there normally is. I think that the slate of greats are too strong this year for an ingenue. Maybe Delpy, but I doubt it. Excharloupus is out of the question. 

WTF do you mean? Of course she deserved to win, and she would deserve to win in every year. Bar possibly 2006 due to Mirren. And she'd probably loose to Huppert in 2001 if she'd been nominated for La Pianiste. 

Meh. Just going back ten years, I wouldn't give her wins in '03, '06, '07, '08, '10, or '11. Doesn't mean she wasn't great of course.

Meryl has a PLATE scene? OMG, she's so desperate for the 4th. Go Cate! At least Cate doesn't resort to plates and vases.

Just the nature of the role. There's a huge chase/fight/kitchen scene. 

Then there's this: 

"Y'see these little blue babies? These are my best fucking friends and they never let me down. Try to get 'em away from me and I'll eat you alive."

Just the nature of the role. There's a huge chase/fight/kitchen scene. 

Then there's this: 

"Y'see these little blue babies? These are my best fucking friends and they never let me down. Try to get 'em away from me and I'll eat you alive."

Good God. And all that with exaggerated southern drawl, right? ADF is going to eat this campfest up like hotcakes with ice cream and berries.

BUT! Cate is getting "Best performance ever" raves and ADF claims Meryl isn't getting those by people who saw AOS. So just give it up, Ric. Meryl is not going to happen. It's between Cate and Judy unless Sandra delivers so much they forget that Redford is brilliant in the same type of a role.