Impact

Favorite Toy Story

34 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Toy Story film?

• Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3

The original Toy Story.

They're all great films. Best trilogy, in my book. But I think the original is the stand out.

TServo2049 mentioned the strength of the Woody/Buzz dynamic as compared to the other two.I whole-heartedly agree with that. In addition, I appreciate the dual protagonist thing they have going in the first. Both Woody and Buzz have their own arcs--they both have their struggles and obstacles that they have to overcome (Woody has to deal with his "Andy's favorite toy" position getting usurped by Buzz, while Buzz has to deal with the realization that he is a toy and not a real space ranger). Both characters are really well written--they both feel so real, and so human. Woody displays so many emotions, and I especially find his jealousy captivating. Not that this human element isn't present in the sequels; it is. But I feel it is almost exclusively relegated to Woody, as Buzz essentially becomes a glorified sidekick. I mean, Woody is essentially the protagonist from beginning to end, but I think the first film benefited by having that extra layer.

The second and third films are still really strong, and I can't deny that the third film did a masterful job at closing off the trilogy. The final goodbye sequence is simply beautiful. Still, I'd probably place the third film a notch below the second, mostly because it very much seems like a retread of the second film to me, both thematically and in terms of story structure. Both films are basically about letting go-- dealing with Andy growing up and outgrowing the toys. They both have a villain that first appears to be a compassionate mentor and a refuge for abandoned toys, showing the toys that there is a better life open to them. Yet they turn out to be villainous scum embittered by their tragic past. The final goodbye and passing onto Bonnie is brilliantly handled and would have worked no matter what the content of the rest of the movie (as it was more a closer for the trilogy than that movie specifically), so I wonder why they followed such a similar structure, especially since it was inevitably going to deal with similar themes.

Sounds like I'm knocking on it, but I think it's a great film and worthy of the accolades. And it is (obviously) far and away the best animated of the bunch. But for me, it's 1>>>2>3

• Like 1

I can not understand why there are so few votes for TS2. There's no doubt it was the best. Pure BEST. I mean TS1 started the series and thus holds a special spot in a lot of people's hearts but that doesn't really make it the best just like the same reason doesn't make Fellowship better than Return of the King. TS3 was really good too about as good as TS1 but still it has nothing on TS2. So it ends the story but it doesn't make it the best just like it doesn't make Return of Jedi the Best in Star Wars trilogy. So don't vote on them because of these reasons guys. TS2 too had a better story, Interesting new characters (unlike TS3), lots of sensible good laughs (the Star Wars parody (I am your Father) was plain awesome!), cool action, good animation (but this can be said of all pixar movies) and good music too! It was better than both TS1 and TS3, not by a big degree yes, but still better. I atleast would rate the movies like this - 

1 TS2 9.7

2 TS1 9.3

3 TS3 9.2

Also while we are on the topic, i might as well list the best 3 trilogies of all time - 

1 The Lord of the Rings (9.6) 

1. Return of the King 9.7

2  Fellowship of the Ring 9.6

3  The Two Towers 9.5

2 Star Wars (Original) (9.55)

1  The Empire Strikes Back 9.8

2   A New Hope 9.7

3   Return of The Jedi 9.2

3 Toy Story (9.4)

1 TS2 9.7

2 TS1 9.3

3 TS3 9.2

NO OTHER, ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER, trilogy comes even close. -_-  -_- 

I can not understand why there are so few votes for TS2. There's no doubt it was the best. Pure BEST. I mean TS1 started the series and thus holds a special spot in a lot of people's hearts but that doesn't really make it the best just like the same reason doesn't make Fellowship better than Return of the King. TS3 was really good too about as good as TS1 but still it has nothing on TS2. So it ends the story but it doesn't make it the best just like it doesn't make Return of Jedi the Best in Star Wars trilogy. So don't vote on them because of these reasons guys. TS2 too had a better story, Interesting new characters (unlike TS3), lots of sensible good laughs (the Star Wars parody (I am your Father) was plain awesome!), cool action, good animation (but this can be said of all pixar movies) and good music too! It was better than both TS1 and TS3, not by a big degree yes, but still better. I atleast would rate the movies like this - 1 TS2 9.72 TS1 9.33 TS3 9.2 Also while we are on the topic, i might as well list the best 3 trilogies of all time - 1 The Lord of the Rings (9.6)            1. Return of the King 9.7           2  Fellowship of the Ring 9.6           3  The Two Towers 9.52 Star Wars (Original) (9.55)            1  The Empire Strikes Back 9.8            2   A New Hope 9.7            3   Return of The Jedi 9.23 Toy Story (9.4)           1 TS2 9.7           2 TS1 9.3           3 TS3 9.2NO OTHER, ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER, trilogy comes even close. -_-  -_- 

I agree with you that TS2 is the best but you forgot the greatest trilogy of them all, it's Bourne