quote from a positive critc: It’s noteworthy that Disney/Pixar’s “Brave,” opening Friday (6/22/12), is the first Pixar feature – and the first Disney animated feature in a while – to focus on a heroine, rather than a hero.

thse people are professionals?

Well, I suppose it's been a while since Princess and the Frog. And maybe they're not counting Tangled because they meant "exclusively focus on a heroine"?

and those were the last 2 Disney animated movies - clearly we need a lot more heroines in Disney movies - ;)

I just checked the Mars Needs Moms premise: the boy is annoyed by his mother and she denies him TV, whereupon he wishes he never had a mother.

From what I read in the Brave reviews , there is a strong similarity in the premise.

I just checked the Mars Needs Moms premise: the boy is annoyed by his mother and she denies him TV, whereupon he wishes he never had a mother.

From what I read in the Brave reviews , there is a strong similarity in the premise.

Why should that be a bad thing?

I‘ve seen Brave this afternoon in China.

It's good but not great.

Yeah, the story is kind of old-fashioned, but it's OK for me.

It's much more entertaining than CARS 2 imo.

I give it 8/10.

Edited by Olive

Interesting assessment from one of the rotten reviews:

"This film has the veneer of feminism and a strong female protagonist, but it still reinforces a lot of patriarchal constructs. The resolution appears progressive on the surface, but it is only possible with several conditions that are ultimately very conservative. Brave is the equivalent of a man patting a woman on the head and saying, ‘Go and exercise your free-will sweetie, but just make sure you play by my rules. Isn’t self-determination cute!"

Hmm.

Eh, Disney brand will never make a movie about modern women, ever. Doesn`t matter if they call themselves Pixar or Disney ot Touchstone or whatever. Understand that. Take POTC for example. They were bragging about Elizabeth being a modern girl stuck in 18th century but all her "moderness" was really about marrying a guy she picks. She spent 3 fuckin movies chasing after him and her only ambition was to be married. How fuckin not modern. Yeah, she even abandoned career and friends to faithfully wait for him for decades in recluse raising their son. All that for a deadbeat dad. Absolute nadir of traditional woman-in-the-kitchen sterotype packaged in warrior princess gift wrap.

Bottom line is that wielding a weapon does not a modern women make nor it speaks about woman`s empowerment. However, Hollywood found this as a sly way of imposing regressive shit by diverting attention to "look, girl is having fun like Rambo" so that the same old conservative crap being served is overlooked.

girsthe idea of having to learn archery to live up to Merida or Katniss

The difference between Katniss and Merida is that Katniss doesn`t think archery makes her a cut above everyone else while Merida does in fact point that out as why she is superior to her mother and other women. With Katniss, it`s organic, something she needs, not something that is a bragging asset.

Eh, Disney brand will never make a movie about modern women, ever. Doesn`t matter if they call themselves Pixar or Disney ot Touchstone or whatever. Understand that. Take POTC for example. They were bragging about Elizabeth being a modern girl stuck in 18th century but all her "moderness" was really about marrying a guy she picks. She spent 3 fuckin movies chasing after him and her only ambition was to be married. How fuckin not modern. Yeah, she even abandoned career and friends to faithfully wait for him for decades in recluse raising their son. All that for a deadbeat dad. Absolute nadir of traditional woman-in-the-kitchen sterotype packaged in warrior princess gift wrap.

Bottom line is that wielding a weapon does not a modern women make nor it speaks about woman`s empowerment. However, Hollywood found this as a sly way of imposing regressive shit by diverting attention to "look, girl is having fun like Rambo" so that the same old conservative crap being served is overlooked.

in 10th century Scotland Merida probably needed a weapon to pursue her dreams

Tiana in the 20s in New Orleans could open a restaurant

Rapunzel had her hair

Mulan in Han-dynasty China had to fight for her father

Neytiri as the future spiritual leader of her tribe had not to fight for her position

Ripley is forced to fight for survival

the same goes for Sarah Connor

and Susan Murphy

in 10th century Scotland Merida probably needed a weapon to pursue her dreams

And her dream is to shoot arrows into the sunset and let her hair fly in the wind. OK.

Now, get this stupid part. Merida wants to win her own hand at the archery tournament. Fine and dandy. But! Why her suitors are all idiots? Why not give her some competition that is handsome and comptenet in the art of archery without pursuing romance? Let her win because she isn`t interested in being married in general cause she doesn`t see any appeal in her mother`s and other married women`s life, instead of making it look like it`s because all potential hubbies are morons.

Edited by fishnets

Lol at critics ANAL_yzing Pixar movies to find flaws and problems.

Every other CGI toon flick gets a free pass while they try nothing but having characters being funny and cute.

Double Standard.

Bitches.

Do these reviewers actually mention Myazaki or are they as clueless as I think ???

And her dream is to shoot arrows into the sunset and let her hair fly in the wind. OK.

Now, get this stupid part. Merida wants to win her own hand at the archery tournament. Fine and dandy. But! Why her suitors are all idiots? Why not give her some competition that is handsome and comptenet in the art of archery without pursuing romance? Let her win because she isn`t interested in being married in general cause she doesn`t see any appeal in her mother`s and other married women`s life, instead of making it look like it`s because all potential hubbies are morons.

It could be both.

yes I prefer your plot lines

It could be both.

But both is the problem because their incompetence, uglines and stupidity are so visible they take away from the main reason and deliberately so. As if someone thought that girls wouldn`t buy into the character if she didn`t fall in love with a handsome suitor. Anyway you slice it, they had an idea but didn`t dare go all the way.

Merida did not invent fighting for her own hand. In Greek mythology Atalanta and in Norse mythology Brunhildr had to be defeated to win their hands. So this story is far older than any emancipation ideas.