Spielberg + Kubrick + Napoleon = Miniseries

It was a screenplay first written by Stanley Kubrick back in 1961 and now Steven Spielberg says he’s working with the late filmmaker’s estate on the project. “I’ve been developing Stanley Kubrick’s screenplay, for a miniseries not for a motion picture, about the life of Napoleon,” Spielberg recently told the French TV network Canal+. Kubrick left behind extensive research archives - location photos, notes and boxes of other details which provided a book on the subject. But studios balked at the expensive project. (Kubrick eventually made Barry Lyndon which takes place 15 years before the Napoleonic wars.)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/steven-spielberg-developing-stanley-kubricks-napoleon-as-tv-miniseries/

I'd say HBO is the obvious choice because of Spielberg's past connections.

Though maybe History Channel would like to show some actual history for a change.

Edited by 4815162342

Though maybe History Channel would like to show some actual history for a change.

History Channel would be a cool choice, but would they finance, even in part, such a huge project? I don't see how this isn't gonna cost some absurd amount of money. 

History Channel would be a cool choice, but would they finance, even in part, such a huge project? I don't see how this isn't gonna cost some absurd amount of money. 

I think their huge success with Hatfield and McCoys should persuade them to take the gamble, especially if Spielberg lands someone big for Napoleon.

cool idea, in france they made a great mini-series of 4 (100minutes) episodes on napoleon in 2002 which had excellent actors in it like christian clavier, isabella rossellini, gerard depardieu, john malkovic, julian sands and other known french actors....

i love how john malkovic is in some of the best french historical mini-series , the guy speaks french flawlessly for an american !

his is a great story to bring to the screen, i'd love to see what spielberg does with it, casting will be essential no doubt...

• Community Manager

I haven't seen it yet but I've kind of assumed that their new show Vikings is showing actual history.