DAR

Modern Family

How often have they used the theme a voucher (spa,beautifarm,..) is only valid  totay?

In Austria all vouchers (except where technically not possible) are valid for 30 (Thirty) years.

I allways thought America was more pro consumer than Europe.

Are you sure you not confusing Gift Cards for Vouchers?

Gift Cards are valid for like forever...

However special promotions and Vouchers are pretty much valid based on whatever the company decides...

I am not sure what is the distinction here. In Austria companies tried to limit the validity of vouchers they issued. Lets says a hairstudio gave away a voucher (valid for one haircut) as a price in a competition. Later they would say, but it is only valid in the year the voucher was issued. That was declared illegal some time ago. Of course, if you find vouchers in a news paper (like a reduzed pizza ) that can have an expiry date. But those prices in Modern Family (spa day day, beautyfarm-day) could not be limited as I understand it.

• Community Manager

I am not sure what is the distinction here. In Austria companies triedto limit the validity of vouchers they issued. Lets says a hairstudiogave away a voucher (valid for one haircut) as a price in a competition.Later they would say, but it is only valid in the year the voucher wasissued. That was declared illegal some time ago. Of course, if you findvouchers in a news paper (like a reduzed pizza ) that can have an expirydate. But those prices in Modern Family (spa day day, beautyfarm-day)could not be limited as I understand it.

It's the law in the United States that you have to put the expiration date on coupons/vouchers. It is up to the business when the expiration date is but they have to abide by it. If there is no expiration date, then I guess it's valid for life.

Lol I love reading rudolf's unbased attacks on this show every week. You'd be surprised with what people go to the emergency room. I worked in one for 4 and a half years and maybe 40% were actual emergencies.

I am not attacking the show.

But I suspect the show does not  reflect American family life in the 21st century. Probably the same is valid for the shows in 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s,....

I've learned here that the show  presents a lot of Colombian cliches in the USA. What I am really interested in is how many other things are only cliches.

For instance those 3 families are economically above average? ( Allthough when we visited relatives in Oklahoma, we were the only ones arriving without a car, because we left our rented car with our cousin. So the scene where they congresed with 4 cars in front of the restaurant was like a deja-vue)

All those family members are doing a lot of sports. (Even overweight Cameron is a Racket Ball-Champion, even obese Manny is a Master-swordsman.) They run, golf, ride bikes, figure-skate, shoot, fish... Is that an adequate picture of American society?

Edited by Rudolf

Why's it matter if it represents the "Average American Life"? There is no American lifestyle that can represent every family in America because it's such a diverse country.  Plus it's a sitcom aiming to provide laughs, not trying to depict how American families live as accurately as possible.

Why's it matter if it represents the "Average American Life"? There is no American lifestyle that can represent every family in America because it's such a diverse country.  Plus it's a sitcom aiming to provide laughs, not trying to depict how American families live as accurately as possible.

Yes! See Bolded Above!

And personally, I don't think either is that much off base, as The Middle is in Middle America, and a poorer blue class type family....and Modern Family, is in California. (Would either work as well if you reversed locations????)

And I don't think Modern Family is that unrealistic.

Jay is a rich guy, owns a business, got a trophy wife later in life. Mitchell could afford to go to law school on Jay's $. Cam was a College Sports Athelete. And Phil kindof has the Middle Family in California.

And to the other point from above. Most have some talents, just like the kids on the Middle. Big Deal Manny is good at one sport??? Luke Manny Mitchell Phil Alex Haley aren't very atheletic,

It technically doesn't. The Middle is a much more accurate reflection of the average American family life.

Why? And this is a good question on Obama and the 250 being rich. 

Mitchell is probably making 150 for being a lawyer. So that is nice money but he has high law school loans plus a house to pay for in California. And he basically supports Cam and Lily. So is he rich?

Lets say Phil has a great year selling real estate and makes 250K. But who knows how much he sells the next year. But anyway, Phil is basually supporting 5 people, paying a house mortgage, taxes etc in California, school bills, a some presents and a vacation in during the year.

So is Phil really considered Rich???? So as I said, the 250 number has to be looked at.And should they be penalized cause they want to live in California rather than where-ever the middle takes place.

I am not attacking the show.But I suspect the show does not  reflect American family life in the 21st century. Probably the same is valid for the shows in 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s,....I've learned here that the show  presents a lot of Colombian cliches in the USA. What I am really interested in is how many other things are only cliches.For instance those 3 families are economically above average? ( Allthough when we visited relatives in Oklahoma, we were the only ones arriving without a car, because we left our rented car with our cousin. So the scene where they congresed with 4 cars in front of the restaurant was like a deja-vue)All those family members are doing a lot of sports. (Even overweight Cameron is a Racket Ball-Champion, even obese Manny is a Master-swordsman.) They run, golf, ride bikes, figure-skate, shoot, fish... Is that an adequate picture of American society?

Even overweight DAR walks up to 3 miles a day and golfs once a week in the summer.

• Community Manager

Why? And this is a good question on Obama and the 250 being rich. 

Mitchell is probably making 150 for being a lawyer. So that is nice money but he has high law school loans plus a house to pay for in California. And he basically supports Cam and Lily. So is he rich?

Lets say Phil has a great year selling real estate and makes 250K. But who knows how much he sells the next year. But anyway, Phil is basually supporting 5 people, paying a house mortgage, taxes etc in California, school bills, a some presents and a vacation in during the year.

So is Phil really considered Rich???? So as I said, the 250 number has to be looked at.And should they be penalized cause they want to live in California rather than where-ever the middle takes place.

It's not whether they're rich or not but that money is never really a problem for them. Ever. I don't remember a single plot where money was a major issue. This really isn't a problem for me since Modern Family has never actually tried to capture reality in a sense but merely the new family dynamics that have come up within the last few decades. You won't see them dealing with money issues like in the Middle because the show isn't interested in doing that. That's perfectly fine because Modern Family isn't actually trying to present reality.

And yes, making $250,000 puts you in the Upper Middle Class. Consider that the AVERAGE American family makes $40,000 (around the family of the Middle I believe).

Oh, and this has nothing to do with Obama. This issues would still be present if McCain or Romney had won.

It's not whether they're rich or not but that money is never really a problem for them. Ever. I don't remember a single plot where money was a major issue. This really isn't a problem for me since Modern Family has never actually tried to capture reality in a sense but merely the new family dynamics that have come up within the last few decades. You won't see them dealing with money issues like in the Middle because the show isn't interested in doing that. That's perfectly fine because Modern Family isn't actually trying to present reality.And yes, making $250,000 puts you in the Upper Middle Class. Consider that the AVERAGE American family makes $40,000 (around the family of the Middle I believe).Oh, and this has nothing to do with Obama. This issues would still be present if McCain or Romney had won.

First, I was only repling to you with why...and then the rest was a general comment based of alot of posts above.I wasn't implying that money is an issue. I was saying money probably gave them alot of the starts, that lead to a better life, and is realistic to me.And I as I have lived in NY and LA my whole life, in very middle class circumstances, both sides of the Middle and MOdern Family.****And I am fine with this as I just was tying it into my Obama agrument that everyone said 250 was rich and needed to be taxed more. As it sure isn't rich, and we made to pay for the misspending of the government. (That said, 450/500 is a better number to start to be considered rich, IMO. Which is what they were smart enough to lock in at.)Also, I know alot of people like the MIddle people - but when one blue collar worker isn't making the good hourly $ and the wife, don't have a career. 40 to 50 is probably reasonable. Which is about $20/25 dollars an hour over a year. Edited by TO BE DETERMINED