The Dark Alfred

CAYOM Festival - Year 7 - Three-Month Funeral triumphs

I'm wondering what time of the year they hold the CAYOM Festival?January? May? December of the last year?

May of each year, it's kinda like Cannes. Edited by riczhang

Numbers' Review: This movie was terrible. I expected a biopic about that one odd studio head but instead got a British crime film. F-!!!!!!!

Blank

An Alfred Rating

Concept/Idea: 10/7Plot/Story/Characterisation: 10/8Casting: 10/9Opening: 5/4Ending: 5/3Location: 5/5X Factor Bonus: 5/3Overall: 78%

Blank

A riczhang Review

Blank is like Bourne meets Bond meets Bill Haydon meets Borgia with good measures of Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad thrown into it. The result is surprisingly quite good. There are clichés and predictable plot twists galore, but it’s still a fun filled action thriller that’s a pleasure to behold on screen.

One of the strong suits of the movie is that the cast is very fitting, especially Mark Strong and Colin Forth, and each of them performs their roles very well. One thing to note though, Paddy Considine probably wants to be careful not to get typecast as the police officer. It’s the second police role he’s been in in this festival alone. The film also has greater depth than usual for crime thrillers because it has taken what could’ve been a very simple plot and really fleshed it out. Even though it could’ve very easily taken the movie into contrived, convoluted, and ridiculous territory, it didn’t. It turned out very much all right.

However, the plot isn’t without problems. It contains numerous clichés that at the end when there is a big reveal you go, “D’oh. Of course they’d do that.” The clichés and predictable plot turns doesn’t necessarily make it a bad movie, but it certainly detracts from the entire movie. It seems that at times people are motivated by some very odd things and that’s not really a good thing. The second thing that’s a bit puzzling is why are there title cards? They don’t seem to serve a purpose and interrupts the natural flow of the movie more than anything else. Let the movie speak for itself especially since the cards don’t tell us anything we need to know at all. The last thing is more of a personal thing, we get a fairly big reveal not too far into the movie and perhaps it would’ve been better if that hadn’t happened. It could’ve been better if that was slowly drawn out and saved until the end so we get a learning experience rather than being spoon fed something that early in the movie.

7.5/10

To understand one minor problem riczhang had about title cards, some context:

The film is told in a non-linear fashion and as a result is broken up into 5 "chapters." Each chapter when it starts has a "Title Card" that gives the chapter a title. For example Chapter 1 is titled "Once Upon a Time...in a Yorkshire Hospital Room." I think it's a great style to use on occasion for non-linear storytelling, like Tarantino does in several of his films. riczhang's response was that he dislikes Tarantino films. I began to pray for his cinema soul.

The chronological order of the Chapters is 4, 2, 1, 3, 5.

Edited by 4815162342

Current Metacritic Scores

Innocense - 84

Spark 2: Ignition - 80

Blank - 76

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time - 75

The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer - 56

The Fall Of Boss Tweed - 54

The Academy - 38

• Like 1

To understand one minor problem riczhang had about title cards, some context:

The film is told in a non-linear fashion and as a result is broken up into 5 "chapters." Each chapter when it starts has a "Title Card" that gives the chapter a title. For example Chapter 1 is titled "Once Upon a Time...in a Yorkshire Hospital Room." I think it's a great style to use on occasion for non-linear storytelling, like Tarantino does in several of his films. riczhang's response was that he dislikes Tarantino films. I began to pray for his cinema soul.

The chronological order of the Chapters is 4, 2, 1, 3, 5.

I just thought that a card saying 4 weeks ago, or 2 months ago, and then etc. would've sufficed. 

And I don't dislike Tarantino, I just don't really like him. Pulp Fiction's the only tarantino film I gave higher than a 6.5 to, but 6.5 in my scoring system still indicates a good film. 

Edited by riczhang

Alpha Blank should be a 77. (78 + 75) / 2 = 76.5 and you round up from .5 ;)

It's a style choice I made ric, you didn't like it, I shrug at that, just putting it all in context for the others.

• Like 1

Numbers' Review: This movie was terrible. I expected a biopic about that one odd studio head but instead got a British crime film. F-!!!!!!!

XD I look forward to the day when we do biopics about each other as our OCs. :P

Edited by Blankments Into Darkness

I think it's a great style to use on occasion for non-linear storytelling, like Tarantino does in several of his films. riczhang's response was that he dislikes Tarantino films. I began to pray for his cinema soul.

Amen. ;)

And I don't dislike Tarantino, I just don't really like him. Pulp Fiction's the only tarantino film I gave higher than a 6.5 to, but 6.5 in my scoring system still indicates a good film. 

To me a 6.5 is a B-, which means an average film. C+/B- for me is average, C starts the negative impressions for me.

To me a 6.5 is a B-, which means an average film. C+/B- for me is average, C starts the negative impressions for me.

I centre my scale around 5. It's kinda odd, since in 50% is often the pass/fail mark. I give a 5 to a meh(average) film. 6 would be above average. 7 is good. 8 is great and so on.