I think Avengers opening caused you to redefine what a good opening in HK means. $1,483,043 was still the third biggest OW of the year, which is great for an original sci-fi horror film with NO starpower (Fassbender has been in a couple of good movies, but he is still relatively unknown and definitely not a draw).

No, the last 2 years of OWs is what changed what an average/good/great opening is for me. Ever since Avatar, the market has been booming. This year alone, we've seen 7 films hit over 1m OW, 4 of them in 3D. 2012 is currently on par with 2011 in terms of 1m openers.

Prometheus DID have a lot of things going for it -- the sci-fi factor, 3D, aliens, and starpower (in this case, I mean, group starpower, not individual starpower). What I mean is that HK audiences know all these faces from recent films. They know Fassbender from X-Men: First Class and Rapace from Sherlock Holmes 2. Both films turned out to be huge hits with HK people. Charlize Theron hasn't been in any big films recently but the general public know her face from SWATH which was released the weekend before so yes, group starpower helped draw quite a number of people in for Prometheus. Any one of those three could have brought people in to watch it.

It's the 3rd biggest opening of the year so far but it's far from impressive IMO. A Simple Life, Love in the Buff, Men in Black 3 and Battleship all had OW's that were more outstanding and all of them had less going for it than Prometheus. I thought Prometheus could have pulled in close to 2m with a 5-day opening with SWATH disappointing and MIB 3 in its 3rd weekend but it never capitalized.

Overall though, I don't think it's a disappointment. It will make over 3m which is not bad but I don't think its opening is anything special.

The Amazing Spider-Man will premiere in 48 theaters which means a new theater is opening. It could be the new Airport IMAX but I'm not sure when that will open. Anyways, I am not liking The Amazing Spider-Man's admissions so far. While several theaters are reporting very good pre-sales, other areas especially rural ones have been lagging well behind. Friday night is looking anemic at several theaters. Virtually empty showtimes while pre-sales started more than 1 week ago. The Avengers had a much better start across the board. Weekend is doing much better with more than a 100% jump at some locations. Sunday looks to be the best day so far with Monday not far behind at most places. We could see a mild increase on Saturday combined with a huge spike on Sunday followed by a small drop on Monday.

The last big movie to open with a Monday holiday was Thor last year. Although that opened on the traditional Thursday, admissions saw it move up 66% on Saturday, shot up almost double on Sunday and fell a good 15% on Monday. If The Amazing Spider-Man follows a similar trajectory, it could increase below 50% on Saturday to account for opening day demand, increase more than 100% on Sunday and ease lightly on Monday.

Meanwhile, IMAX is looking good. Showtimes are about 70-80% full.

Motorway might throw a wrench in TASM's plans, however. It's been doing quite well this weekend, amassing more than 30,000 admissions on both Saturday and Sunday. I can't say that it will flame out once Spider Man opens but we could see theaters keep it on another week. Interestingly enough, I went back and looked at the weekends before for Transformers 3 and The Avengers and both weekends saw 3 month lows. It won't be the case with Motorway this week.

For screen counts, it's looking like The Amazing Spider-Man will get 4 screens (including 2D).

With weaker pre-sales, I'm downgrading my prediction to 3.5-4m (4-day) for now.

Edited by Bluebomb

There might be a storm that comes to HK this weekend. I don't know how that will affect the admissions as it's still too early to tell where this tropical cyclone will go.

Oh Spiderman chose the bad moments in HK and Japan, the fate is terrible.

BREAKING: Ice Age: Continental Drift will have special screenings on July 7 and 8 (Saturday/Sunday) ahead of its July 12 release.That is very good news for Ice Age. It's a really popular animated franchise in HK so easing the demand by releasing early previews the week before is a great idea. Amazing Spider-Man will not be heavily affected by this development.

Records updated.

Friday schedules

Note: All holdover showtimes in brackets are from Thursday.
Note 2: Unless otherwise specified, all films are leaving on Thursday.

Palace APM    
New Holdovers Leaving
The Amazing Spider-Man 2D - 5 showings Motorway - 3 showings (▼ 10) Din Tao: Leader of the Parade
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - 28 showings The Bounty - 1 showing (▼ 6) Sadako 3D
  The Raven - 1 showing (▼ 5) The Raid: Redemption
  First Time - 1 showing (-) Prometheus 2D
  The Dictator - 1 showing (▼ 3) Prometheus 3D
  Men in Black 3 3D - 1 showing (▼ 3) Snow White and the Huntsman

Festival Walk    
New Holdovers Leaving
The Amazing Spider-Man 2D - 5 showings Motorway - 3 showings (▼ 7) Din Tao: Leader of the Parade
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - 27 showings First Time - 2 showings (▲ 0) Shadows of Love (Wed.)
  Prometheus 3D - 1 showing (▼ 3) The Bounty
  The Dictator - 1 showing (▼ 5) The Raven
  Men in Black 3 3D - 1 showing (▼ 4) Sadako 3D
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
    Snow White and the Huntsman
    Prometheus 2D

Tsuen Wan    
New Holdovers Leaving
The Amazing Spider-Man 2D - 1 showing Motorway - 2 showings (▼ 7) The Raven
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - 20 showings The Bounty - 1 showing (▼ 4) Sadako 3D
  First Time - 1 showing (-) The Raid: Redemption
  The Dictator - 1 showing (▼ 2) Prometheus 3D
    Men in Black 3 3D

The Grand Cinema    
New Holdovers Leaving
The Amazing Spider-Man 2D - 6 showings Motorway - 6 showings (▼ 7) Din Tao: Leader of the Parade
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - 33 showings The Bounty - 2 showings (▼ 5) Sadako 3D
Postcard - 5 showings The Dictator - 4 showings (-) The Raid: Redemption
  Being Flynn - 5 showings (-) Prometheus 3D
  The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 1 showing (-) The Avengers 3D
  The Raven - 5 showings (▼ 7) Men in Black 3 3D
  Snow White and the Huntsman - 1 showing (▼ 3) American Pie Reunion
  The Wings of the Kirin - 4 showings (▼ 5) Shadows of Love
  What to Expect When You're Expecting - 1 showing (-)  
  Prometheus 2D - 1 showing (▼ 3)  

How does that compare to The Avengers' opening Thursday schedules?

Festival Walk: 20 showtimes for Avengers (3D), 32 showtimes for Amazing Spider-Man (27 in 3D)
Palace APM: 27 showtimes for Avengers (24 in 3D), 33 showtimes for Amazing Spider-Man (28 in 3D)

Both places Amazing Spider-Man thumped The Avengers in showtimes. That is spectacular. Even though Amazing Spider-Man hasn't matched The Avengers in admissions yet, Sony is going all out with guns blazing. To break it down, The Amazing Spider-Man is getting 4 or 5 screens at all locations that have at least 4 screens.

After a good opening weekend, Motorway will be the 1 really lucky survivor this week. First Time is an EDKO movie so it will get Broadway/AMC support. The Dictator is also being kept after its good first 2 weekends.

Poll Results

The Amazing Spider-Man total?

3-3.99m (2 votes)

4-4.49m (1 vote)
10.5-10.99m (1 vote)
>12m (3 votes)

Edited by Bluebomb

4m OW?

4m in 3 days is not happening. Even Avengers needed 4 days to do it.

Thats good for Ice Age! But don't US animated films dont do well in Aisa?

Typically they don't but HK is a different beast. HK was the only Asian market that opened at #1 for IA3. It also broke animation records back then.Similar story with TS3 although it did exceptionally well in Japan. Pixar seems to do fairly well in HK. The only animated franchise that hasn't really done well in HK is the Madagascar series but even then Madagascar 2 did OK numbers.The reason why animation movies do so well in HK is because although families are its main demographic, animation movies are also well liked by couples (especially women). Edited by Bluebomb

Friday continues to be a problem for Amazing Spider-Man. I've been tracking opening day admissions for Spider-Man at 1 theater and it's not even close to what The Avengers started off with. Will have a full update later today.No change in typhoon forecast track. Still expected to land close to HK on Saturday.

Edited by Bluebomb