Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Minions Climb China's Great Wall Ahead of Release

vJoRNkQ.jpg

Hollywood Reporter:

The Universal Pictures animated juggernaut, which just crossed $1 billion in global box office, is expected to do big business in China when it opens Sept. 13.

Universal's beloved Minions popped up on the Great Wall of China over the weekend, bringing their infectious brand of box office-conquering cheer to the world's second largest movie market. The Despicable Me franchise prequel, Minions, which just crossed $1 billion in global box office, is expected to do big business in China when it opens Sept. 13.

The Minions photo session atop the country's iconic 2,000-year-old structure was just the first step in Universal's promotional push in China (more photos below). The three yellow, pill-shaped characters will next embark on a road show across the country, meeting and greeting fans at Chinese cinemas. The studio's Beijing-based office has also launched an online campaign called Silly Sunday Challenge, in light of film's opening on a Sunday. Fans will be invited to dress like Minions, compete in Minionese translation contests, mug for Minions-themed videos and more.

Despite a rocky start in China, the Universal franchise has become a fan favorite there. The firstDespicable Me film didn't even score a release in the country when it came out in 2010 -- for reasons that were never explained, as China's state film regulators seldom share their motives. And Despicable Me 2 was denied an opening slot until seven months after its U.S. premiere, reportedly due to difficulties with a local agent. But the film exceeded expectations and won the weekend when it finally did premiere, eventually grossing $52.9 million during its China run.

A strong, snag-free release for Minions would cap off a huge year for Universal in China. In April, the studio's Furious 7 became the highest-grossing film ever in the country with $390 million.Jurassic World, meanwhile, pulled in $228 million from China and currently ranks fourth for the year at the local box office. 

2N2TGsx.jpg

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 4

Actuals are in! Minions made 7.32 million euro in its first 4 days in Italy!

The film of the Minions , released in Italy on August 27, in the opening weekend pulverized every box office record, finishing as the best opening weekend ever for an animated film in Italy (total receipts from the first weekend: 7,320. 000 € - 1,040,000 viewers).
Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

Lol MinaTakla. I'm a little worried about what you are going to do when Minions box office run is over. I'm a little worried you might jump,off that wall. Lol. Just Kidding.

Congrats to Minions and Universal for passing 1 billion and with a legit shot at Frozen. I have a feeling this thing is gonna blow up in China!!!

• Like 2

Yahoo just published this article on Why Minions are So Popular - has exactly what i've been saying about people here on the forum and otherwise under-estimating this franchise every.single.time

Minions Makes A Billion, But What’s Their Appeal?

It was only a matter of time, wasn’t it, but ‘Minions’ has made a billion dollars at the worldwide box office.

But what’s their appeal?

Officially, the ‘Despicable Me’ spin-off has taken $1,018,901,000 over the summer since its early July release and is the most successful in the franchise.

Success Story

The first ‘Despicable Me’ hit cinemas in 2010 and amassed a respectable $543 million, which was pretty good going considering it was a brand new, unheard of franchise hitting the animation scene.  2013 saw the release of ‘Despicable Me 2′. It quickly surpassed the original and took just under a billion dollars, with a total of $971 million, affirming it as one of the year’s biggest grossers.

tumblr_inline_nu0v01NE4S1tt67ie_500.jpg

Animation Wars

Like Pixar films, this franchise manages to appeal to a wide audience, but not quite in the same way. The likes of ‘Toy Story 3′ and ‘Up’ connected on a basic, visual gag level to small kids (bar that Married Life montage in the latter). ‘Despicable Me’ and its sequel appealed largely to the kiddies but provided enough jokes and silliness to appease many adults. 

‘Minions’ hones in on the mega success of the first two and goes all-out to get children into cinemas, while retaining a fundamental cuteness that can not only entice adults, but encapsulate impressionable, developing children to engage with the on-screen action.

Can DC Finally Compete With The Avengers?
- 10 Things To Know About Suicide Squad 
What’s The Greatest Star Wars Trailer?

The fact that its stars - Stuart, Kevin, and Bob - can barely utter a coherent word between them seems to have worked in the film’s favour. Not only do their funny sounding utterances make audiences of all ages laugh, it seems to resonate strongly with little kids, serving as a viable form of entertainment where developing minds can follow a simple, easy to understand narrative.

Summer holidays have always proven a good time to release movies aimed at bored kids who have driven parents up the wall for weeks on end, so is likely one reason for its July and August surge. And for adults who, admittedly, have no idea what they’re saying, the three dungaree-wearing misfits are amusing and visually adorable enough to capture their imaginations, too.

tumblr_inline_nu0v01WBaq1tt67ie_500.jpg

Plenty of Appeal

No doubt as the franchise has grown - and its creators have realised how the yellow odd bods can pull in the adults - the wit and visual comedy has been a big thing grown-ups can latch on to. Sure, on the surface they’re inarticulate blobby ‘things’ to keep kids entertained, but each with their own personalities and some genuinely amusing moments even without the ability to tell verbal jokes, it’s this blend that has proven a winning formula, and something different to Disney’s, Pixar’s, and even DreamWorks’ output.

In truth, people sometimes underestimate the influence and huge audience share that are children. Disney’s ‘Frozen’ targeted youngster but also managed to grab the attention of adults too. Aiming a film primarily at younger viewers while giving a bit of appeal to older ones doesn’t even feel like a key issue here, mainly because parents will have to take their children to see it anyway, which accounts, in part, to its strong box office performance.

Quite why minions are so popular across the board is, as with most crazes, largely inexplicable, but well targeted to an audience: in this case kids. But subjective appeal, especially in the film world, needs no explanation. All we can do is choose whether to ignore or embrace ‘minion fever’ because, let’s face it, they’re here to stay.

‘Despicable Me 3′ is in cinemas in summer 2017, with ‘Minions 2′ practically guaranteed to be with us in the coming years.

• Like 1

Exactly what is in this article that we didn't already know, and who in the world under estimated this franchise? If anything, people on here were thinking it would go higher domestically, particularly after it's monster opening weekend. I think most people thought it had a shot at going over 1 billion WW. It's had a fantastic run. The only argument was over quality, not its success. While I don't think it's very good, it's definitely better than a couple of the Madagascar and Ice Age movies that made tons of money OS.

Wohoo!!

'Minions' reaches $700m at international box office

Universal Pictures International’s (UPI)Minions from Universal/Illumination has grossed $700m and heads to Turkey.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

Wow!

MINIONS: $714.2M Overseas Total / $1.0438B Global Total #Minions

Next week MINIONS will beat TOY STORY 3 to become higher than ANY animation film EVER released by PIXAR, DREAM WORKS, BLU SKY, SONY and DISNEY with the 1 exception of FROZEN and will become the second highest animated film of all time

Chances of beating FROZEN are still unlikely unless it explodes in China with 200m, so it will likely remain second all time (with 1.07 billion without China) but still making Illumination's DESPICABLE ME the ONLY current franchise with 2 films in the TOP 5 ANIMATED FILMS of all time (Minions and DM2), and the HIGHEST EVER ANIMATED FRANCHISE in history in terms of average grosses per film (800+ per film), beating Shrek and Shrek by a mile.

• Like 1

And how much would had done Frozen today in China?? you can see it in both directions. Anyway, really impressive number for Minions. No doubt about it

Maybe twice as much (so about 50 M more)

Comparisions in admissions with Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 would be very funny

And how much would had done Frozen today in China?? you can see it in both directions. Anyway, really impressive number for Minions. No doubt about it

Frozen would have made 100m in China or maybe a bit more. Minions would still beat it with the 2013 exchange rates in Russia and Latin America especially.

Maybe twice as much (so about 50 M more)

Comparisions in admissions with Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 would be very funny

Exactly. Or with The Lion King. Minions is very big, but still under certain films.

Edited by peludo

South American exchange rates were bad when Frozen was released compared to prior films as well.

Frozen was a staggering box office run for an original animated film. One of the great runs in cinema history. Also, was a cultural tornado in many countries that doesn't happen very often.

.... and with awful ERs. 3 years ago this would have earned at least 30% more OS -China.

Not so much. According my data, Frozen would have done today $727m OS, what means about 17% drop relative to what it really did. And we would talk about $680m if we do not count China. Minions is a bit bigger than Frozen, but remember inflation (in some countries of South America it is absurdly high), the 2 and half years expansion of emerging markets and the fact this is not an original film. Minions had the base of a $970m prequel.

And again, I insist this is an incredible run. But to compare it directly with other films is a bit unfair.