Pirates! Band of Misfits

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Pirates! Band of Misfits

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Aardman fare at it's finest, the animation (characters and sets) was simply superb. For us older folks, the songs are very nostalgic! Pogues, Clash - fantastic selection, and the original music was at least not offensive. The story and morales are rather simple - the Pirate Captain has to choose between fame (Pirate of the Year award) and friendship - first he chooses fame (sadly, the Smiths were missing from the soundtrack - at least the melody to "fame, fame, fatal fame" should have been put in there) which leads to him losing everything, then by remembering friendship he gains everything back. The film lives on its wealth of visual gags and a bit of wordplay; if you dig those gags (as seen in the trailer) you'll like it; if you prefer a different kind of humor or are looking for exquisite storytelling then you should board another vessel.The one thing missing from "Pirates" is the kind of hero we have come to love in Aardman films. The Pirate Captain sure is a kind of underdog, but Wallace he ain't not. We just didn't care for him as much, and that means the film is funny but not as rewarding emotion-wise as Wallace&Gromit or Chicken Run. Don't know if we'll buy this on DVD or BR, so "only" a B.

• Like 2

Thank you baumer!Fantastic film! Love the little intricacies stuffed into every scene and the movies has bucketfuls of charm and wit that win you over by the end. Aardman, it seems, are the only studio still going strong with their beliefs. (Though Flushed Away was compromised by DWA)I sure hope it does better in the States because this is one studio that needs its movies to be viewed more and have more success.The 2D Disney fans go on and on about how 2D is better than 3D, well suck it. It doesn't matter what the format is as long as the movie's good. Ridiculous some idiocy of "fans". Disney movies are mostly overrated.

B-I loved the animation and the 3D was well done. I just couldn't find myself rooting for the Pirate Captain or getting invested in the storyline. Not a total waste of time but by next week i'll probably have forgotten I even saw this. But maybe at least I will always remember what happens when baking soda and vinegar are mixed.

B-

I loved the animation and the 3D was well done. I just couldn't find myself rooting for the Pirate Captain or getting invested in the storyline. Not a total waste of time but by next week i'll probably have forgotten I even saw this. But maybe at least I will always remember what happens when baking soda and vinegar are mixed.

This, although I didn't see it in 3D and I would give it a lower rating.

It's an ok time pass, but there really isn't much heart to the core of the story, and it just comes off as an off-the-wall movie with no emotional investment. Kind of the definition of forgettable, and I'm also not a huge fan of British humor.

C