Dementeleus

Behind the Candelabra (2013)

Behind the Candelabra (2013)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Isn't this a TV movie? I know it's out theatrically in some countries but I didn't know we were allowed to request it. Anyway...

It hits some pretty typical biopic notes here and there, but Soderbergh's direction brings it to another level and Douglas and Damon are perfect. If this really is Soderbergh's last film then it's a great one to go out on.

Oh, also Rob Lowe is funny as fuck.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

Isn't this a TV movie? I know it's out theatrically in some countries but I didn't know we were allowed to request it. Anyway...

It's a grey area, but it played at Cannes, so why not?

In any case, I give it a B. Pretty standard story but great acting and stellar direction.

• Like 2

It's a grey area, but it played at Cannes, so why not?

In any case, I give it a B. Pretty standard story but great acting and stellar direction.

This.  Not a groundbreaking story by any means, but Douglas and Damon were excellent, especially Damon.  In the later parts of the movie he was fabulous.

On another note, was I the only one terrified by Rob Lowe's face?

This.  Not a groundbreaking story by any means, but Douglas and Damon were excellent, especially Damon.  In the later parts of the movie he was fabulous.

On another note, was I the only one terrified by Rob Lowe's face?

No! He was hilarious/terrifying. :lol:

It's interesting to read about how the project came together. First of all, how ludicrous for the studios to claim it was "too gay" and that's why they didn't fund it. Secondly, I didn't feel any budget restrictions even though the budget was slashed to around $25m or so.

It's interesting to read about how the project came together. First of all, how ludicrous for the studios to claim it was "too gay" and that's why they didn't fund it. Secondly, I didn't feel any budget restrictions even though the budget was slashed to around $25m or so.

The movie would have found an audience. Poor Decision on the studios behalf.

Most of Americans can care less these days. 

With that said as a movie it was good, nothing special. The acting was great and I thought the 2 best scenes were when Damon tells Lee that his Foster mom died. The other one was the last scene when he was dying, those 2 scenes really captured there love for one another I thought. 

B-

Edited by Jay Salahi

The performances were enjoyable and I liked the first 45 minutes or so, but despite all the praise this has received for the most part it felt bloated, lifeless and distant. 

2,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

I think they easily could have done this in 95-100 minutes. Also Soderbergh's fly on the wall approach didn't work here, a story as crazy as this needs human element that I could hold on to, but instead it goes for the most kind of observant, neutral, almost clinical viewpoint. 

Edited by Jack Nevada

Since I don't have HBO I can't comment on the film itself.  But Liberace was born in a suburb of Milwaukee called West Allis.  West Allis is a working class suburb, leans towards white trash, does have some nice areas, is fondly referred to as Stallis or sometimes the Dirty Dirty.  He is not the type of person you would expect to come from that city. Other notable residents include Dan Jansen Olympic gold medalist speed skater and Jeffrey Dahmer.

it was good! i have to give props to the makeup guys , i mean wow i did a double take on matt damon face , he looked so young and yummy like a golden boy my my my....

so i kinda compared this to brokeback mountain being the only other gay couple movie i've seen in a drama anyway (that i can recall)

and i have to say i think its more an old person/ young person shacking up that bothers me than same-sex pairing 

i have to admit the pool side scene was lol, damn that speedo on damon , i had the film on my computer for a while there but finally watched it because douglas is doing promo for it in france he was on the news , and damon was in this cinema interview talking about hte numerous fittings for the speedo that would fit just right , oh to be an actor !! its really hard sometimes  

as for the movie itself doesnt it just suck how he treated damon , you kinda hope this would be the one who'd change him

but i was like hell no when he made him do surgery , and yes yes how funny was rob lowe's face in this , if i saw a plastic surgeon looking like that i'd run in the other direction asap

I didn't think there would be a thread for this since it's a HBO movie, but well, here it is.I just watched it for the first time recently, I thought the movie is awesome. Acting performances from Douglas and Damon are incredible and immensely enjoyable. Direction is also good.Agree with others, Rob Lowe was hilarious, his facial expressions just cracked me up. And bonus points for blond beefcake Damon in speedo.A- from me.