Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time 2013 -- RESULTS PRESENTATION 4 PM PST/7 PM EST

We all had to. :P

And also, they films should honestly be judged as a whole because it's totally gestalt. The sum is greater than its individual parts because you really gain an appreciation for the story arc that you can't really incorporate into your judgement when looking at the individual constituent parts. 

He just can't give up on The Godfather 3 ... I mean ... the horror ;)

of course, I do like that film, it's just not the greatness that the first two are.

But when looking from the perspective of the whole 3 film story-arc, it does contribute to a certain extent. 

At least you have SW ric other than that your list blows lol

Of the stuff I've seen ... Ric has some great choices ... it's just a list filled with films I've never seen, so it seems horrible and foreign to me.  Not the movies themselves existence, but their individual greatness.

Edited by Adam

Citizen Kane is not a masterpiece.  You are told it is so you say it is.  They have brainwashed you to think that.  It's one of the most boring films ever made and it has some of the worst dialogue and acting of any film ever made.  

Tinker Tailor was good but top 100?  Naaa

You have Jaws and ET, so that's good.  

Amour I understand.

Tree of Life?  WTF? 

You also have Goodfellas and Raiders and that's good as well.

We Need to Talk about Kevin was a horrible experience.  But it also gets me to understand the kind of film you like.  

Dude, Thin Red Line?  Come on. 

Citizen Kane is not a masterpiece.  You are told it is so you say it is.  They have brainwashed you to think that.  It's one of the most boring films ever made and it has some of the worst dialogue and acting of any film ever made.  

I've never seen Citizen Kane and have ZERO interest in seeing it. 

Riczhang's top 10:1) Vladimir's Perestoika: Kazakhstan2) Grooving to the Brotwurst: Belarus3) Sophie's Choice: USA4) La Grenouille a mon Fille: Canada/France5) Ouevvre mon Pere: Haiti6) Stripped of Dignity: A Diabetic in Qatar's Story: Qatar7) A Cry in the Dark: Australia8) The French Lieutenant's Wife: USA9) Fool's of Adversity: Russia's Benevolent Absolution: China/Denmark10) Hotel Mon Dieu: Chile

Too mainstream
  • Like 5

I've never seen Citizen Kane and have ZERO interest in seeing it. 

Oh, you have to see it.  You have to see the film that has brainwashed the world into thinking it is something that it is not.  

Citizen Kane is not a masterpiece. You are told it is so you say it is. They have brainwashed you to think that. It's one of the most boring films ever made and it has some of the worst dialogue and acting of any film ever made. Tinker Tailor was good but top 100? NaaaYou have Jaws and ET, so that's good. Amour I understand.Tree of Life? WTF? You also have Goodfellas and Raiders and that's good as well.We Need to Talk about Kevin was a horrible experience. But it also gets me to understand the kind of film you like. Dude, Thin Red Line? Come on.

I was enthralled with Citizen Kane. The way te story was told was not only revolutionary, but also captivating. I loved the experience. And after the movie is over and you digest the influence it had on every single film that proceeded, you can't help but stand in awe of it. Everything about the film is great and masterful.
  • Like 1

while there are obviously disagreements, ric's is the best list so far probably, certainly in number of masterpieces. and not seeing enough is no excuse, i've probably seen less than everyone here with 29. :lol:

masterpieces

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Three Colours Trilogy
Metropolis
Barry Lyndon
12 Angry Men
La Nuit Americane (Day for Night)
No Country for Old Men
Dr. Stranglove: or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
All Quiet on the Western Front
There Will Be Blood

very good

Rear Window
Броненосец «Потёмкин» (The Battleship Potemkin)
Chinatown
A Bout de Souffle (Breathless)
8 ½
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Psycho

not bad

Once Upon a Time in the West
Amadeus
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

eh

The Tree of Life
The Wizard of Oz (1939)

poor

Nosferatu
Rope
City Lights
Jaws

shit

E.T.
Star Wars Original Trilogy

And also, they films should honestly be judged as a whole because it's totally gestalt. The sum is greater than its individual parts because you really gain an appreciation for the story arc that you can't really incorporate into your judgement when looking at the individual constituent parts. 

The only time you can speak of a trilogy as a single unique whole is if it's planned as such from the get-go (and preferably as a single production). LOTR and IVAN THE TERRIBLE (well, that's 2.1 movies, I guess)? Yes. THREE COLORS? Maybe. GODFATHER, STAR WARS, etc? No. IMO, of course.

Oh yeah, and CITIZEN KANE is a great movie. It's engaging, funnier than people give it credit, and still holds up, over 60 years after it was made. That's staying power.

while there are obviously disagreements, ric's is the best list so far probably, certainly in number of masterpieces. and not seeing enough is no excuse, i've probably seen less than everyone here with 29. :lol:

Nonsense, that just means his list is closest to your own tastes. ;)