baumer

The Birds (1963)

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

it was good, one of the better hitchcocks. loved the ambiguous ending. acting as usual in his films is a little off, especially when bringing kids into the mix, and the visuals are horribly dated (lol at the blood) but aside from that, good thriller.

B+

By the halfway mark I wanted to scratch my own eyes out just so I wouldn't watch those characters anymore. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. So incredibly, unbelievably fucking dull.

I'm not bullshitting - I thought this was worse than The Happening. Both movies take their silly premises utterly seriously, but Shyamalan's film at least managed to be accidentally entertaining as a B-movie. This was just a negative space of a film. 

• Like 2

the build up to the bird attacks were pretty perfect, but the attacks itself were pretty meh, except the last one inside the house, which was one of the most tense scenes I've seen, just brilliantly constructed.

I really liked the first act, the drama was well made and Melanie was a interesting character that still feels fresh today. The chemistry between her and Mitch was unbelievable, it was really fun to watch when they were on screen.

I think I don't need to tell you how visually good looking the film is.

There are some minor nitpicks, like the half-assed subplot that Melanie was to blame for the bird attacks.

80/100

Edited by Goffe Ascending

By the halfway mark I wanted to scratch my own eyes out just so I wouldn't watch those characters anymore. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull. So incredibly, unbelievably fucking dull.

I'm not bullshitting - I thought this was worse than The Happening. Both movies take their silly premises utterly seriously, but Shyamalan's film at least managed to be accidentally entertaining as a B-movie. This was just a negative space of a film. 

9ws5zf.jpg

the build up to the bird attacks were pretty perfect, but the attacks itself were pretty meh, except the last one inside the house, which was one of the most tense scenes I've seen, just brilliantly constructed. 
I really liked the first act, the drama was well made and Melanie was a interesting that still feels fresh today. The chemistry between her and Mitch was unbelievable, it was really fun to watch when they were on screen.

I think I don't need to tell you how visually good looking the film is.

There are some minor nitpicks, like the half-assed subplot that Melanie was to blame for the bird attacks.

80/100

When Mitch's mother goes to check on that guy in the house scared the crap out of me. I wasn't expecting that, lol.

I agree, that last attack on Melanie was done very well. Because the quiet was so eery and then she opened the door.

The last scene when they are leaving and the whole place was covered with birds was disturbing.

So I just saw this and I'm amazed at how bad this was. The characters and the interactions between them were all boring. The special effects were so bad that it never looked even close to real and just made me laugh at how dumb it all looked.

The last attack on Melanie is one of the dumbest scenes I have ever seen on film. After all that happened so far she hears a bird and decides to go alone to investigate, opens the door and walks in without looking first to check for birds. The birds then attack so she somehow backs up in a way that closes the door she had just opened to get her stuck.

It's actually baffling to me how Hitchcock, who is one of my favourite directors of all time, managed to make this trash just three years after making a masterpiece like psycho.

• Like 1