mahnamahna

What Are the Biggest Oscar Snubs/Outrages?

Here's my 10:

10. The Social Network (BP) - King's Speech won

9. Back to the Future (Original Screenplay) - Witness won

8. a nod for Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Original Screenplay) - Crocodile Dundee somehow got it? lol

7. The Graduate (BP) - In the Heat of the Night won

6. Shrek (Adapted Screenplay) - A Beautiful Mind won

5. Toy Story (BP, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor nod for Tim Allen, and Original Song) - Braveheart won, and Babe somehow got nominated lol

4. Boyz in the Hood or Beauty and the Beast (BP) - Silence of the Lambs won

3. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis (Supporting Actor in 2001 & 2002) - both lost

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (BP, Director, Best Supporting Actress nod for Drew Barrymore, and Original Screenplay) -  Gandhi won

1. Rainbow Connection (Original Song) - a mediocre, forgotten song from "Norma Rae" won 

What other Oscar outrages do you recall? 

Here's my 10:

10. The Social Network (BP) - King's Speech won INCEPTION should have won. It's the movie of 2010.

9. Back to the Future (Original Screenplay) - Witness won

8. a nod for Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Original Screenplay) - Crocodile Dundee somehow got it? lol

7. The Graduate (BP) - In the Heat of the Night won

6. Shrek (Adapted Screenplay) - A Beautiful Mind won FOTR should have won Adapted, Director and Picture

5. Toy Story (BP, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor nod for Tim Allen, and Original Song) - Braveheart won, and Babe somehow got nominated lol Braveheart deserved its wins.

4. Boyz in the Hood or Beauty and the Beast (BP) - Silence of the Lambs won

3. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis (Supporting Actor in 2001 & 2002) - both lost Serkis was not nominated and would have never been nominated and Sean Bean was better than McKellen and is the best performence in LOTR

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (BP, Director, Best Supporting Actress nod for Drew Barrymore, and Original Screenplay) -  Gandhi won ET should have won, no nod for Drew, lol, that wasn't a tough role.

1. Rainbow Connection (Original Song) - a mediocre, forgotten song from "Norma Rae" won 

What other Oscar outrages do you recall? 

Any Leo snub.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Any Leo snub.

For Aviator I agree... he shoulda won for that.

But you have to admit - Toy Story should have gotten a BP nod over Babe, and was the one with the best song and original screenplay. 

Inception and Toy Story 3 would have been fine winners too - I'd take any of those three over King's Speech 

*A Beautiful Mind deserved it's win, and deserved another Oscar for Crowe, too.

*Yes, the numerous Leo snubs, including the most recent one: Not even nominated for Django Unchained.

*Perks being snubbed for Adapted Screenplay.

*Numerous Cloud Atlas snubs including: Editing, Special Effects, Score (these were supposed to be locked), and then maybe: Picture, Director, Actor, etc...

*How To Train Your Dragon not winning Best Score.

*Inception not winning Best Score and Best Original Screenplay.*Nolan getting snubbed two times for Best Director.

*The Dark Knight not getting Best Picture

There are many, many snubs around the Academy. They don't deserve being the most prestigious movie award since they apparently don't know too much about movies.

Edited by ChD
  • Like 3

*A Beautiful Mind deserved it's win, and deserved another Oscar for Crowe, too. It was good but next to FOTR in BP and Shrek for Adapted Screenplay, I'd disagree but Crowe definitely deserved Best Actor

*Yes, the numerous Leo snubs, including the most recent one: Not even nominated for Django Unchained. He should have been nominated for Django

*Perks being snubbed for Adapted Screenplay. YES! I thought it should have been nominated for BP - best coming of age film in a while

*Numerous Cloud Atlas snubs including: Editing, Special Effects, Score (these were supposed to be locked), and then maybe: Picture, Director, Actor, etc... Can't say since I haven't seen it but it seemed like a shoo-in for technical nods 

*How To Train Your Dragon not winning Best Score. I would agree but Inception came out the same year

*Inception not winning Best Score and Best Original Screenplay. Agreed on both! 

*Nolan getting snubbed two times for Best Director. He should have won for Inception since anyone could have directed King's Speech IMO and gotten a nod for TDK at the very least - I'd personally give him both lol

*The Dark Knight not getting Best Picture - This should have won BP and WALL-E should have gotten a BP nod - send Benjamin Button and The Reader out the door since they both were vanilla efforts  :P 

There are many, many snubs around the Academy. They don't deserve being the most prestigious movie award since they apparently don't know too much about movies.

I also thought Deathly Hallows 2 should have gotten a few non-technical nods - Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor for Alan Rickman. Ralph Fiennes could have gotten a nod too but Voldemort isn't a terrible stretch for him. I'd also say Amy Adams should have won Best Actress for Enchanted - she made me believe she was a real life Disney princess which is a master feat. I also think Robin Williams should have gotten a nod for Aladdin and Ellen DeGeneres should have gotten a nod for Finding Nemo - both were masterful acting performances using only their voice. 

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas. Just fuck off, Academy. Same with Hooper over Fincher.

Also, Art Carney winning for HARRY & TONTO over - wait for it - Nicholson in CHINATOWN, Pacino in GODFATHER II, Hoffman in LENNY and Finney in MURDER IN THE ORIENT EXPRESS. And Gene Hackman wasn't even nominated for THE CONVERSATION - if he actually had been instead of Carney, it would have been the best, most deserving quintet of Best Actor nominees in history.

• Like 1

I also thought Deathly Hallows 2 should have gotten a few non-technical nods - Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor for Alan Rickman. Ralph Fiennes could have gotten a nod too but Voldemort isn't a terrible stretch for him. I'd also say Amy Adams should have won Best Actress for Enchanted - she made me believe she was a real life Disney princess which is a master feat. I also think Robin Williams should have gotten a nod for Aladdin and Ellen DeGeneres should have gotten a nod for Finding Nemo - both were masterful acting performances using only their voice. 

Oh yeah, how could I forget Deathly Hallows. I really hoped they would show some recognition, but why would they.

"de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum" ...nuff said 

the king's speech was a great and deserving winner , others i can agree on and many others i'll disagree 

I did like The King's Speech, but compared to the movies that came out that year, it deserved it's nominations but surely not the win for BP.

Waayyy to many snubs to mention so il just stick to last year

Like you guys mentioned before leo not getting nominated for Django Unchained is just sad.

Cloud Atlas No BP Nomination!!!! INSANE!! I would have been cool with an adapted screenplay nom at least,they should have knocked off siliver linings playbook.

Argo(good Film, no doubt) over Life of PI tho ------ FUc*inG Insane!!!

Brave over Wreck it Ralph   - this just made me angry.

so if the academy is made up of a couple to a few thousand members and the majority picks ^ what you see above I'm convinced the majority is nothing more then a bunch of Justin Beiber think a likes. That or they just vote to vote and it's all decided by a select few.

most years there is such a film that captures my fancy completely , that year it was the king's speech 

others maybe there'll be 2 films like last year argo and les miserables either winning would have been fine

there have been a few years where i didnt really care but had a detached appreciation for , and later came around to seeing their awesomeness like "no country for old men " and "there will be blood" 

but yeah i love it best when i'm a 100% behind a film

• Like 1

Shakespeare In Love beating out Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for best picture.

Brave beating Wreck It Ralph for best animated feature.

and The Dark Knight not getting nominated for best picture. Instead The Curious Case of Benjamin Button made it in.

• Like 2

Affleck missing Best Director. Extremly embarrassing for AMPAS. Extremly. Same goes for Bigelow snub but considering how the season played out his was far more high-profile and one of the biggest snubs ever.

Also, Nolan for Inception. He landed all major nominations including all-important DGA. Shame on you, AMPAS.

• Like 1