Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

And unlike chinese movies which generally sell nothing outside of china, India movies have quite a substantial share of overseas gross like Japanese or some Korean hit

Won't complain about that they actually target Chinese Diaspora as GA with poor distribution. Other thing is the critics that downplay many because they earn a lot in the homeland. I meant they called it CCP Propaganda and so on. Films like Hi Mom does have huge potential but it looks like News Outlets and Critics are ready to downplay them.

Japanese live-action sell null outside homeland basically earning combined Overseas gross in China (Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong SAR and Macau SAR) &Korea. Where Distributor itself is afraid to buy because of high risk of being a failure as it doesn't match the taste as expected by Chinese and Korean audience. &You know about anime, how frontloaded their runs are and basically medium tier end up being screen in fan show and festivals. While Small tier end up in Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. So, it's rare to see anime film earning a lot overseas unless some English films are delayed or released in China (Demon Slayer was in best shape in America and Europe excluding some countries)

Korean films are very satisfying. I see some of them have huge Overseas potential. Last one, I have seen was Escape from Mogadishu. I like it more than anything I have seen so far. If Overseas Distribution is maintained well by bigger parties like Disney or Sony could see some million coming.

Regarding Indian Films, I haven't heard much but I have seen some standard release with Bahubali 2 and Dangal, I can't remember if there were more than that in Japan. Usually see percentage of Overseas gross comes more from South East Asia, Middle East and North America. Great Trend. Expecting more local release that can pull more admits for better numbers.

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Around ₹12cr pre-sales for Doctor Strange in India

Day 1 ~ ₹5.5cr

Day 2 ~ ₹3.5cr
Rest ~ ₹3cr+

Should open ₹30cr+ OD and ₹90-95cr weekend.

I am surprised booking opened so early. even NWH did not open this early. Ticket prices are very high, especially PLF, as expected. I would have booked my ticket but I may or may not be travelling that weekend. Which means all the tickets for OD/Sat will be gone by the time I can decide :(

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My gut feel is that Shamshera does better for Ranbir compared to Bhramastra. Also Jayeshbhai Jordaar doesn't do that well for Ranveer, the concept seemed good but the trailer was just cold altogether. 

Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 actually had a good trailer, think it can be big for Kartik Aryan.

The Khans will be interesting to track over the next year with Laal Singh Chaddha, Kick 2, Tiger 3, Pathan and Dunki.

Replying here so the cinemacon thread does not become derailed. 

Still think Brahmastra does better than Shamshera due to the religious angle. Though Shamshera seems like it would be the better movie. 

If Bhool Bhulaiya 2 had Akshay Kumar it would have done big business but with Kartik Aryan it will likely be in the low to mid 100’s like his previous movies). 

As for Salman, his time as macho action hero is running short. Tiger 3 will likely do well considering previous movies plus SRK but I think Kick 2 will flop (relatively speaking). 
I have no clue how Laal Sing Chadda will do. If it were not for China border issues it would have done more in China than India. 
Religious nutjobs will boycott all of the khans movies especially one with a title like Pathan. 

40 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Still think Brahmastra does better than Shamshera due to the religious angle. Though Shamshera seems like it would be the better movie. 

The problem with Brahmastra seems like it was written when Ranbir was in YJHD phase. The first song reminded of that Ranbir as well.

Could they actually make 2013 film work in 2022.

Doctor Strange Sets Advance Records A Week Before Release

Doctor Strange - In The Multiverse Of Madness has set an advance record as it crosses 10 crore nett advance a week before release which has never happened before. There has probably not been a film also that has opened up advance so early before release in India but whether you do or you dont do there has to be an audience out there and Doctor Strange had it.

There will be two Eid releases this week but the real fireworks will come a week after Eid with Doctor Strange - In the Multioverse Of Madness. Heropanti 2 and Runway 34 are the two Eid releases but Eid has fallen in such a way that reports are the key to both films as Eid falls after the weekend. Ideally these films should have released on Monday when it is Eid but then it would be only be a four day run till Dr Strange.

The advance of Dr Strange - In the Multiverse of Madness started three weeks back and a couple of days after KGF 2. If we compare the properties where both films opened (Dr Strange opened at very limited properties) then the advance for Dr Strange was faster than KGF 2. This does not mean a better opening for Doctor Stange as advances for Hollywood are generally faster and on top this film has Marvel branding.

There is a week left for release and the film already has 11 crore nett in the bag which is already the highest advance outside KGF 2 and Spiderman - No Way Home post pandemic. The national chains of PVR, Inox and Cinepolis are contributing around 8 crore nett to this 11 crore nett figure as more of their properties opened advance. 

The film could be looking at a 20 crore nett plus opening day but a lot will depend on the response to the film in languages as they may have a lower ratio as compared to the likes of the Avengers films and Spiderman - No Way Home.

https://www.boxofficeindia.com/report-details.php?articleid=6875

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Bloodbath at Indian Box Office..... A popular star of old and a supposedly Star of Future giving such pathetic openings

Who knows KGF Chapter 2 ends up dominating lucrative Eid period. 

Dr Strange will anyways end the run for these movies.

One is being brigaded by bhakts as well as SSR fans while the other is likely being boycotted by many south Indians (and rightly so). Ajay Devgan thought he could make some jingoistic chauvinistic comments which will get all the ultra nationalist asses in the seat but it seems to have backfired on him. 

22 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

One is being brigaded by bhakts as well as SSR fans while the other is likely being boycotted by many south Indians (and rightly so). Ajay Devgan thought he could make some jingoistic chauvinistic comments which will get all the ultra nationalist asses in the seat but it seems to have backfired on him. 

He decided to go after Sudeep about the topic of language. Whoever told him that was a good idea needs to be fired by him.

After the death of Appu, Sudeep is the biggest Kannada Star we have. And he's working to expand the reach of Kannada movies as well.

Heropanti 2 looked like shit from the trailer alone.

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Both have no impact at all on either.

How do you know? It's not something that can be gleaned on from raw data alone (except for Devgan's movies gross in South India but the first day is not even over yet). Impact may not be that much but I wouldn't say there is zero impact. Go to twitter and you will see hundreds of messages against these movies. 

I really hope when Bollywood decides to do pan-India movies looking at the success of Bahubali, Pushpa and KGF, they make it less hero worship and maybe slightly less violent as well. Violence and hero worship works in South Indian movies way more than in Bollywood movies. 

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I really hope when Bollywood decides to do pan-India movies looking at the success of Bahubali, Pushpa and KGF, they make it less hero worship and maybe slightly less violent as well. Violence and hero worship works in South Indian movies way more than in Bollywood movies. 

Bollywood can make good violent movies. Examples are Satya, Company, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Gangs of Wassseypur,etc. But these movies don't do as well in box office as the hyper stylized violent movies like Dabangg, Singham, Simmba, Sooryavanshi, etc. 

the former movies are also more down to earth, realistic and do not turn their heroes into superhumans. Unfortunately its the latter that most of the bollywood audiences want. 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, Bruce said:

Incredible for India market box office performance this year.

hope you guys will be next China.

India only has about <10,000 screen, a majority of which are single screen cinema.(not sure how many of which vanished during covid19). This is awfully low number considering we just have two 100m+ grosser in the span of two months. Noting that India cinema ticket price are generally lower, the number of admission must be at crazily high level for modern-era but somehow this didn’t incentivise investor to open more multiplex especially at city area.

K.G.F. Chapter 2

Karnataka - ₹151.50 crores
AP/TS - ₹139 crores
Tamil Nadu - ₹83.50 crores
Kerala - ₹54.25 crores
North India - ₹408 crores

India - ₹836.50 crores

USA/CAN - $6.87 million
Middle East - $5.75 million
Australia - $2.45 million
New Zealand - $0.40 million
Malaysia - $2.28 million
Singapore - $0.80 million
Nepal - $0.80 million
Rest of Asia - $0.60 million
UK - $1.35 million
Europe and Africa - $1.40 million

Overseas - $22.70 million or ₹172.50 crores

Worldwide - ₹1009 crores

PS. @ZeeSoh edit the heading. It didn't break the OD record.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, grim22 said:

These 3 south blockbusters are the biggest product of hero worship and masala bs of recent times , first one need huge budget and planning and the other 2 are run on star power.

Aside from Baahubali all double on the Salman Khan-ness larger than life masala hero movie regardless of where the film is made.

Imo south movies are going from the growing phase as bollywood movies were in 2013 when people used eat shit up like Salman's Bodyguard.