rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Initial Impressions after the first weekend of the season, (there are still several shows yet to air). Haikyuu and Noragami both very strong starts for their second seasons. As far for the newcomers heres my initial impressions below

-------------Watch-----------------

1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

2. Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen

3. Comet Lucifer

4. One Punch Man

------------Undecided-----------------

5. Chivalry of a Failed Knight

6. Young Jack Black

7. Attack on Titan: Junior High

8. Heavy Object

------------Avoid-----------------

9. Concrete Revolutio. (Sorry Rukaio, this was horrible)

10. The Asterisk War

Yes that is correct a Gundam series had the best debut episode. After being shit for several years the Gundam franchise looks like it will return to form in style. This is one every should check out regardless if your into mechas or not since the first episode stood out compared to the rest of the season. One Punch Man also stood out but really its all nice eye candy and fight scenes, it lacks substance but is enjoyable.

Edited by eXtacy

9. Concrete Revolutio. (Sorry Rukaio, this was horrible)

Yeah, that one was a disappointment, I'll admit. Unless the reviews for the next few episodes really pick up, I'm probably not going to watch any further. It didn't even have the decency to be hilariously bad like Chaos Dragon.

That said, out of the pilots I've watched, I've had a pretty good success rate. I'll echo the praise being given to Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans and One Punch Man (which honestly exceeded my expectations) and I also really enjoyed Osomatsu-san (largely because it was Gintama, but I freaking love Gintama so it's all good). Those three are definitely ones I'm hyped to follow and I honestly can't decide which I liked most. Comet Lucifer was also pretty watchable even if it wasn't anything special.

Still, three 'must-watch' is fairly good for me. And there are still a few shows yet to come, I think.

Okay I have checked most of the new shows and here is what is worth your time.

----------------------------------------------------------

1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

2. One Punch Man

3. Beautiful Bones

Safe bets

4. Utawarerumono

5. Perfect Insider

6. Comet Lucifer

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

Gakkou Gurashi was awful and Umaru-chan started to get kinda boring since the jokes were always the same.

Still didn't finish Shokugeki no Souma because FFFsubs is taking too long to release the last two episodes. 

Still didn't finish Working!!! because I'm a bit tired about this series overall. 

i'm just gonna stick to Haikyuu this season i guess... I'm really hyped for sports anime, so I'm also watching Yowamushi Pedal, Kuroko no Basket and Diamond Ace. And I'm gonna give the first season of GochiUsa a try, if it's good I'll go for the second one which is airing right now.

And maybe I'll also start the Monogatari series, not sure if I'm gonna be able to keep up with all of this, though.

The only show of those 11 that I watched is ranked number 1.  :hi5:

If you liked Yuusha you should check out The Perfect Insider. The first three episodes have set up a locked room mystery like Yuusha and it looks like the entire season will revolve around it.

• Like 1

If you liked Yuusha you should check out The Perfect Insider. The first three episodes have set up a locked room mystery like Yuusha and it looks like the entire season will revolve around it.

To be honest, the locked room mystery while addictive, was not the major reason I loved Yuusha. What I loved was the spin on "The Chosen One(s)" concept with the warriors destined to take down the Great Evil meeting up only to discover there is a phony amongst them, trying to break them from within with seeds of doubt. I didn't even know the first season would be of the locked room structure. But as hardly anybody weaves whodunit and medieval fantasy together, the direction came across as very unique to me and I found the resolution to be pretty satisfying as there weren't any noticeable loopholes (pretty impressive considering how the fantasy genre by its very nature plays havoc on the standard locked room rules, so a combination of the two would seem foolhardy unless the writer knows exactly what he/she is doing).

But thanks for the recommendation anyway. :)  I will check out the fantasy mystery shows you had suggested earlier after I finish watching the few Ghibli/Satoshi Kon features I haven't seen yet.

On 10/11/2015, 3:29:33, SchumacherFTW said:

Just started watching Cowboy Bepop for the first time. This show is freaking awesome! 

Yeah Cowboy Bepop is an anime classic you just have to watch, its just that good and it came it in 1998 if you can believe it.

Holy shit the most recent episode of Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans was incredible. If there is one new show to check out this season its this (not One Punch Man). Its got a fantastic group of characters forming with a great story and some amazing visuals, the most recent episode looked like a high budget anime movie.

My update on what to watch this season (remember only non-sequels)

Must Watch

1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

2. One Punch Man

Good Watches

3. Perfect Insider

4. Utawarerumono

Try out

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Beautiful Bones

6. Chivalry of a Failed Knight

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Is gundam worth giving a go for a Mech newbie? 

Yeah, probably. I'm pretty new to the gundam franchise myself and I'm following Iron Blooded Orphans without too much trouble.

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Is gundam worth giving a go for a Mech newbie? 

Absolutely worth a shot. You can jump straight into Iron Blooded Orphans which is currently airing or if you like to watch one which is already finished Gundam 00 and Gundam Seed which also have separate universe/timeline so you can jump straight in.

That said every Gundam has a huge cast of characters and political factions so some people can get confused at the start so you will have to pay attention to learn whats what in first few episodes. People think its just big robots fighting each other are in for a big surprise. They usually have epic story scopes as well.

On 15/11/2015, 11:51:40, rukaio101 said:

Yeah, probably. I'm pretty new to the gundam franchise myself and I'm following Iron Blooded Orphans without too much trouble.

Just about finished Gintama. Its been glorious! Easily the funniest anime I have seen.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

On 24/11/2015 10:58:09, eXtacy said:

Just about finished Gintama. Its been glorious! Easily the funniest anime I have seen.

I've always wanted to see Gintama, but there are too many episodes... 

The funniest anime for me is probably Lucky Star or Nichijou.

Saw both of the Attack on Titan movies last night, and I can definitely see why soooooooo many people were pissed off about them. Taking the movies at face value I thought they were pretty good though. Some of the stuff was a little ropey, including any time the Colossal Titan appeared on screen, and the Eren's vs Levi-stye blokey (can't remember the name) seemed very old school Godzilla esque. But for the most part I enjoyed it, probably shouldn't have laughed at a few parts when Survey Corps members were killed, but it was a good time. Gives me faith in a way that Hollywood could do a good adaptation if they treat it with care (and kill Eren's mother instead of the damn Mikasa fake out!) 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Saw both of the Attack on Titan movies last night, and I can definitely see why soooooooo many people were pissed off about them. Taking the movies at face value I thought they were pretty good though. Some of the stuff was a little ropey, including any time the Colossal Titan appeared on screen, and the Eren's vs Levi-stye blokey (can't remember the name) seemed very old school Godzilla esque. But for the most part I enjoyed it, probably shouldn't have laughed at a few parts when Survey Corps members were killed, but it was a good time. Gives me faith in a way that Hollywood could do a good adaptation if they treat it with care (and kill Eren's mother instead of the damn Mikasa fake out!) 

Interesting. My nearby Odeon is double-screening them and I'm semi-tempted to go. On the one hand, I did enjoy the first movie, but there were a lot of things I found frustrating and boring and I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy it on a rewatch. And I think a lot of the novelty will have gone. Plus I don't get free tickets to Odeon, so I'll probably just watch the second movie on the small screen and save myself the cash.

Also, I completely second the Gintama love from earlier. If my avatar didn't hint, I am a huge fan. Honestly, it's not just one of the funniest anime I've seen, I think it's one of the funniest pieces of media out there period. I have multiple times choked on my own spit laughing at it too hard. Food Wars and Lucky Star have their fair share of very funny moments, but they've got nothing on Gintama.

Speaking of Food Wars though, the manga is absolutely killing it at the moment. Seriously, I have been on the edge of my seat after damn near every chapter ever since

Erina's father showed up.

The only other two weekly series I follow that have my attention so consistently at the moment are World Trigger and Legend of Sinbad (the Magi prequel). I almost feel sorry for you anime viewers, especially since there's so much content still unadapted that you probably won't get to this point until S3.

• Like 1