Fancyarcher

Serious question: Can you stand silent movies?

How come? The artist was a great tribute to the silent era.  Silent acting was much more challenging than "speaking acting", because actors have to show more expressions. They simply couldn't communicate to the audience with words.  This type of acting seems to be lost among today's actors, as they feel the need to scream to their hearts content in order to win an Oscar. 

I can't get into silent films so as impressive as the acting may be, there's only so long I can tolerate if for which is why I agree with Baumer. Slapstick comedies for silent movies are much more enjoyable because you don't have to take them seriously to enjoy them.This is the future where film-making has gotten better. Silent movies stopped being made for a reason.

I can't get into silent films so as impressive as the acting may be, there's only so long I can tolerate if for which is why I agree with Baumer. Slapstick comedies for silent movies are much more enjoyable because you don't have to take them seriously to enjoy them.This is the future where film-making has gotten better. Silent movies stopped being made for a reason.

I still think the best actors are the ones who don’t rely exclusively on their voices to get a good performance.

Daniel Day Lewis for example was like this a lot in Lincoln. He could be quite expressive, even when he wasn't talking (though he did have speeches in that movie for obvious reasons). 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

The Artist is pretty much considered to be a classic. 

Epic fail! 

While the Artist is still considered a great film, it's a long stretch to call it a classic.

Heck, most people nowadays have forgotten about it. It's unlikely to be well remembered in 5-10 years time.

While the Artist is still considered a great film, it's a long stretch to call it a classic.

Heck, most people nowadays have forgotten about it. It's unlikely to be well remembered in 5-10 years time.

So you've asked a billion people if they remember the artist have you  :D

Truthfully 99% of the movies released today are forgotten anyway, specifically because people today are much faster than they were in the past. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic