Plain Old Tele

The Wrestler (2008)

The Wrestler (2008)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

those moments spent on his own self-inflicted torture, both physically and mentally, are the best, rather than the fairly uninteresting low-key drama that backs it up. a bit on the predictable side, but an emotional and engrossing film nonetheless.

B (65)

• Like 1

"The Wrestler" is a gripping story with very intense scenes and a lead performance by Rourke that's among the best in the history of filmmaking. It's no joyride but once the story starts it bolts with confidence towards the expected, unavoidable tragic conclusion like an oil tanker heading for the reef. And as much as this is Rourke's film, i would like to mention Marisa Tomei who is equally strong in her smaller role, maybe the focal point for the audience as she's the only one interested in keeping Randy from self-destruction.

While obsessed with the destruction of body and mind as usual, Aronofsky showed a rare (but nice) hint of restraint in the final scene, just keeping the camera pointed into the black, offering a little dignity at last. Randy may be a stupid, selfish, vain macho, but it takes a heart of stone not to tear up as the end credits roll and Springsteen starts to sing ...

Among Aronofsky's work this is exceptional in that it was not filmed with Matthew Libatique behind the lens; still it's a perfect companion to "Black Swan" (initially, it even was planned as one interconnected story before they decided to do it as two separate films - good decision).

• Like 1

I am going through Aronofsky's cinematography right now. The man is brilliant from what I've seen and The Wrestler is a great film. Rourke delivers a commanding performance that transitions easily from subtlety and the repression of his feelings to over-the-top (yet appropriate) anger and sadness. He carries a film that doesn't feature the most new or original ideas.3.5/4 (A-) 

• Like 1

The Wrestler is incredibly fascinating. A film that simultaneously subtle and blatant in themes, it works wonderfully as a film about the American dream and the general sacrificial nature of art. Rourke and Tomei are both phenomenal and Aronofsky elevates the already great script with some very inspired direction. I'm sure others have critiqued this film better than I could ever, but rest assured, it's definitely getting rewatched by me within the next year so I can really dive in on it. For now though, The Wrestler is one of the best dramas I've seen, an allegorical character study that leaves one pondering by the time it's been completed. Excellent filmmaking. A