CaptainJackSparrow

Your best/worst box office predictions

If I remember well, the worst has been Smurfs 2 over Smurfs 1. I firmly believed Smurfs would be another Ice Age and I have even said Smurfs 3 would cross 1 billion WW... :rolleyes:

And last year I was quite wrong with my Hobbit prediction, both DOM (over 400) and WW (I thought it could reach 1 billion OS). The mistake was not as big as Smurfs one in terms of absolute numbers, but I insisted so much that I was quite embarrased :blush:

The best: I said 550 OS for FF6 :D

Edited by peludo

Best predictions:

- Avatar being the highest-grossing film of 2009

- Sherlock Holmes 2 making less than the first

- TDKR OW and final gross (asterisk next to it because of Aurora, but hey, a win's a win)

- IM3 final gross

Worst predictions:

- Cars 2 being the highest grossing film of 2011

- X-Men First Class < 100m (although I argue that could have happened if reviews had been bad)

- Adventures of Tintin to be Spielberg's highest grossing film since Jurassic Park

Never would have happened after those trailers, even with bad reviews. The Wolverine on the other hand would have probably missed 100m if it was as bad as it looked.

Edited by Jessie

I refuse to believe that among the people who already posted here, no one predicted The Hobbit to be a massive box office hurricane.

Worst prediction was easily saying The Hobbit would gross a shitload domestically. Well, I was new around here and went with most people.

Best prediction is easily predicting A Good Day to Die Hard to flop (I made a club, although I missed it by a few millions. Still, I was the only one to even predict that low). Also, I predicted After Earth to flop months in advance - When people were still crazy and predicted 50M OW just because Will Smith was in it.

I refuse to believe that among the people who already posted here, no one predicted The Hobbit to be a massive box office hurricane.

Worst prediction was easily saying The Hobbit would gross a shitload domestically. Well, I was new around here and went with most people.

Best prediction is easily predicting A Good Day to Die Hard to flop (I made a club, although I missed it by a few millions. Still, I was the only one to even predict that low). Also, I predicted After Earth to flop months in advance - When people were still crazy and predicted 50M OW just because Will Smith was in it.

I did:

And last year I was quite wrong with my Hobbit prediction, both DOM (over 400) and WW (I thought it could reach 1 billion OS). The mistake was not as big as Smurfs one in terms of absolute numbers, but I insisted so much that I was quite embarrased :blush:

• Like 1

Hey now, I predicted and made a club for NYSM beating After Earth. Good predict on my part

Best predictions:

- Avatar being the highest-grossing film of 2009

- Sherlock Holmes 2 making less than the first

- TDKR OW and final gross (asterisk next to it because of Aurora, but hey, a win's a win)

- IM3 final gross

Worst predictions:

- Cars 2 being the highest grossing film of 2011

- X-Men First Class < 100m (although I argue that could have happened if reviews had been bad)

- Adventures of Tintin to be Spielberg's highest grossing film since Jurassic Park

It would have never dropped that hard with bad reviews.

Back when I was a member of BOM, I said that Avatar wouldn't even get 250M.

I think my best prediction came, again when I was in BOM, was Toy Story 3 destroying everything in its wake.  Although I didn't say it would get 415M, I did say it would win the year.

Best - I predicted that the Hobbit would massively underperform. Everyone was throwing 400m around as if it were locked (based on LOTR's performance + inflation + 3D + goodwill/WOM) and I said it would struggle to make 325m and that Twilight would have a shot at beating it. I was laughed at a lot. 

Worst - Under 140m OW Avengers club with a sub 350m domestic total. Boy was I wrong. 

Oh and I forgot, another best - I was called insane when I said I don't see how in the world The Hunger Games could end up under Alice in Wonderland's opening. I said logic says THG will open bigger and was pretty much called a lunatic. As opening day increased, it became very apparent THG was going to shatter a lot in its wake. 

Many years ago on the Box Office Report forums, there was a discussion about Transformers. This was sometime after The Island was released and there were rumors that Michael Bay was being pulled from the film.

Anyway, we're still close to a year or two before Transformers would be released. And everyone is down on the film. Multiple people are claiming it'll fail to even break a hundred million. And I thought about it and mentioned that, for a certain segment, this was their dream film. Fans of the franchise had been waiting years for the film to come out, just like Star Wars fans were waiting on Episode 1. Good, bad, indifferent, that was enough fan interest to give it a pretty good head start over something like TMNT.

I don't know what number I threw out. It was probably over 200 million.

As for the worst, it wasn't a prediction per se, but The Avengers completely blindsided me. I really didn't expect it do the business of IM2, Thor, and Cap combined.