John Marston

Thursday Numbers- Ender's Game 1.4 million

Since it's so old, I'd say its main (immediate) audience are fans who read it when they were teens... so it's an older crowd (of course, they tend not to go to midnights either).

The Wrap had a recent article about how Card basically doesn't get anything from the movie. It's been in development hell for so long  that he's already been paid, and since his deal was made so long ago (before Rowling, etc made a new template for authors getting significant creative input, control, and points from gross) that he won't get any additional money even if it's the next AVATAR.

Here is a brilliant article tracing the developmental hell EG went through: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/91066/endgame-the-unfilmable-enders-games-28-years-in-development-hell

• Like 1

yes it has been in development hell for so long that it is amazing that it has finally come out. Interestingly, I keep adding Ender's Game to the list of movies "Saved from Development Hell" on TVTropes yet someone keeps deleting it. Why?

yes it has been in development hell for so long that it is amazing that it has finally come out. Interestingly, I keep adding Ender's Game to the list of movies "Saved from Development Hell" on TVTropes yet someone keeps deleting it. Why?

The admins are http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerHigh

Or they just don't know how long this was in development.

Thor 2 midnights 8m? That's kind of high. What did the first movie do at midnight. Wasn't it like 2 or 3m?

It might be too high. THOR did 3.25m, but that was back when shows were only midnights. THOR 2 is a sequel (and also another Avengers-related movie) and there will be pre-midnight shows, so I expect demand to be higher initially.

It might be too high. THOR did 3.25m, but that was back when shows were only midnights. THOR 2 is a sequel (and also another Avengers-related movie) and there will be pre-midnight shows, so I expect demand to be higher initially.

The most shocking "midnight" number over the past few years was Hobbit opening to 13M midnight (+9pm). Really didn't think it would open that high. Of course, the rest of the weekend never reached those heights, but 13M was way more than expected.

I think the only true "Midnight" movie which has been released since TDKR has been MoS.

7-8m seems about right then. That's around what Fast 6 did this year. I can see it being similar.

The most shocking "midnight" number over the past few years was Hobbit opening to 13M midnight (+9pm). Really didn't think it would open that high. Of course, the rest of the weekend never reached those heights, but 13M was way more than expected.

I think the only true "Midnight" movie which has been released since TDKR has been MoS.

Well if you don't count the Walmart Previews.

The most shocking "midnight" number over the past few years was Hobbit opening to 13M midnight (+9pm). Really didn't think it would open that high. Of course, the rest of the weekend never reached those heights, but 13M was way more than expected.I think the only true "Midnight" movie which has been released since TDKR has been MoS.

What were you guys expecting for the Hobbits OW after midnight numbers came in?

LOL I remember some people thought it would make less than the first one. It has doubled it almost.

Those are some long legs for a horror movie, it very well could've ended up with 65M or so if the movie had been crap and people had hated it. 

Edited by Jack Skellington