baumer

The greatest cast ever assembled

Right now I'm watching In The Line of Fire, with Clint Eastwood.  It's got a good, very good cast.  Him, Rene Russo, John Mahoney, Dylan McDermott, John Malkovich and Gary Cole.  Good cast.  This got me thinking.  What films have the greatest casts ever assembled?  I know there are lots of films that can be spoken about here.  But which ones stand out to you.  

Kevin Smith always seems to be able to assemble a huge cast for his films even though their budgets are about as parsimonious as they come. But give us other films with awesome casts.  I'll start with two and I'm sorry to steal some thunder here but these are two of my faves

BTW, when giving us the cast talk a bit about the film.  How did the cast work for the film and so on.

1) JFK 1991:  Oliver Stones masterpiece about the JFK conspiracy, undoubtedly has one of the greatest casts ever assembled.  This is going to be a long list, but here goes:

Kevin Costner:  Oscar winner

Tommy Lee Jones:  OW

Joe Pesci:  OW

Sissy Spacek:  OW

Jack Lemmon:  OW

Walter Mathau:  OW

Then you have:

Kevin Bacon

John Candy

Michael Rooker

Sally Kirkland

Jay O Sanders

Ed Asner

Bryan Doyle Murray (Groundhog Day)

Wayne Knight

Laurie Metcalf

Vincent D'Onofrio

Pruitt Taylor Vince

Donald Sutherland

Dale Dye

Frank Whaley

Bob Gunton

John Laroquette

That is one hell of a cast.  And a lot of those guys are really well known.  Stone not only got a ridiculously amazing cast together, the roles he cast them in were perfect in relation to the people they were playing.  John Candy played Dean Andrews, try googling the image of Dean Andrews in real life...scary how close Candy comes to at least in appearance. 

JFK is one of my favourite casts.  A note about Michael Rooker, at this time of his career, he seemed to be in everything.  From Mississippi Burning, Cliffhanger, Days of Thunder and Tombstone, the man was in everything and every film he was in he added flavour and panache to it.

2) Tombstone 1993: The first of two films about the OK Corral that came out in a 12 month span, Tombstone boasts a ridiculous cast where every single person cast in a speaking role seemed to be someone you recognized, even if they were just on TV at the time.

Kurt Russel

Sam Elliot

Bill Paxton

Michael Rooker

Charleton Heston

Powers Boothe

Val Kilmer

Michael Biehn

Jason Priestley

Stephen Lang (Avatar)

Thomas Haden Church (who at the time was only known for his role on Wings)

Billy Zane

Dana Delaney

Billy Bob Thornton (about 50 pounds heavier)

I love the cast in this film.  Val Kilmer should have at least been nominated for best supporting actor that year and Stephen Lang and Michael Biehn are so evil that you want to smash them in the face.  

How about you?  What films have the best casts in your opinion?

• Like 3

Hairspray [2007]

[*]Nikki Blonsky as Tracy Edna Turnblad, an optimistic, overweight teenage girl who loves dancing, Tracy's racial color-blindness leads her to become an active supporter for the integration of The Corny Collins Show. Hairspray is Blonsky's debut as a professional actress.[9] [*]John Travolta as Edna Turnblad, Tracy's mother and agent, an agoraphobe ashamed of her obesity. Travolta's casting as Edna continues the tradition of having a man in drag portray the character, going back to the original 1988 film, which featured drag queen Divine as Edna and at Hairspray's Broadway version, which featured Harvey Fierstein as Edna.[10] Executives at New Line Cinema originally expected the part to be filled by an actor accustomed to playing comic roles, tossing around names such as Robin Williams, Steve Martin, and Tom Hanks.[10] However, Travolta was aggressively sought after by producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron for this role because he had starred as Danny Zuko in Grease, the second most successful movie musical to date, beaten only by Mamma Mia!.[11] [*]Michelle Pfeiffer as Velma Von Tussle, the manager of station WYZT and a racist and weightist, former beauty queen Velma is interested in keeping her daughter Amber in the spotlight and The Corny Collins Show segregated. Hairspray is the first film featuring Pfeiffer to be released in five years. Stardust, also featuring Pfeiffer, was shot before Hairspray, but released three weeks afterwards.[12] The peculiarity of Pfeiffer and Travolta appearing onscreen together (Travolta starred in Grease, Pfeiffer in Grease 2) was not lost on the production staff;[12] Travolta requested that Pfeiffer play the part of the villainess.[10] [*]James Marsden as Corny Collins, the host of The Corny Collins Show; his politically progressive attitudes lead him to fight his show's imposed segregation. Corny Collins is based upon Baltimore TV personality, Buddy Deane, who hosted an eponymous local teen dance show in the late 1950s and early 1960s.[13] James Marsden beat out both Joey McIntyre and X-Men costar Hugh Jackman for the part.[14] [*]Christopher Walken as Wilbur Turnblad, Tracy's father, the easygoing proprietor of the "Hardy-Har Hut" joke shop below the Turnblad family's apartment. John Travolta had asked that Walken be considered for the part,[10] and he eventually beat out Billy Crystal[15] and Jim Broadbent[16] for the role of Wilbur. [*]Amanda Bynes as Penny Lou Pingleton, Tracy's best friend, a sheltered girl who falls in love with Seaweed, despite the efforts of her racist and stern mother, Prudy Pingleton. A young actress famous for appearances on Nickelodeon TV shows and in feature films, Bynes was one of the few movie stars cast among the teen roles.[17] [*]Queen Latifah as "Motormouth" Maybelle, a Baltimore rhythm and blues radio DJ who hosts "Negro Day" on The Corny Collins Show. Maybelle also runs a record shop on North Avenue. Queen Latifah appeared in the successful Zadan/Meron film musical Chicago, and worked under Adam Shankman's direction in Bringing Down the House.[18] She beat out soul legend Aretha Franklin for the role of Maybelle.[15] [*]Brittany Snow as Amber Von Tussle, Velma's bratty daughter and the lead female dancer on The Corny Collins Show. Amber becomes Tracy's enemy when Tracy threatens both Amber's chances of winning the "Miss Teenage Hairspray" crown and Amber's relationship with her boyfriend, Link. Snow previously worked with Shankman in The Pacifier.[14]Hayden Panettiere was also considered for the part of Amber, but was decided against in part because of her then-upcoming work with the NBC television series Heroes.[14] [*]Zac Efron as Link Larkin, Amber's boyfriend and the lead male dancer on The Corny Collins Show. Link is a singer who becomes more attracted to Tracy. The character is based in part upon Elvis Presley.[14] Efron, a popular teen actor who played Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel TV film High School Musical, was initially thought by Adam Shankman to be "too Disney".[14] Shankman's sister, executive producer Jennifer Gibgot, convinced her brother to cast Efron, believing that the teen star would draw a substantial teen crowd.[14] [*]Elijah Kelley as Seaweed J. Stubbs, Maybelle's son, a skilled dancer who teaches Tracy some dance moves and falls in love with her friend, Penny. Kelley, a relative newcomer to film, overcame other auditioners and several popular R&B stars for the part of Seaweed.[17] [*]Allison Janney as Prudence "Prudy" Pingleton, Penny's mother, a zealous Catholic whose strict parenting keeps Penny from experiencing social life. Her husband is serving out a prison sentence for a crime unspecified in the film. [*]Taylor Parks as Little Inez Stubbs

Arguably the most prettiest person in the world then, Amanda Bynes shines as my favourite character Penny in her best role ever. Travolta, Latifah, pfiefer, Kelley, blonsky and efron are all fantastic and snow, walken and marsden are all great. A stunning film. My favourite scene was trudy tying up and cursing penny after she hid Tracy downstairs. They all sing great, especially in YCSTB. Pfiefer is amazing as the villain and bitch of the film while Penny and Seaweed keep the funny and sweet side of stuff for a perfect balance. A+ on film and casting. This might not spring to most people minds but in my view it is one of the best ensembles

• Like 5

Haha, I saw the thread title and was gonna post JFK.

I'll go with an oldie, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (admittedly they were going for as many celebs as they could get):

David Niven

Robert Morley

Noel Coward

John Gielgud

Trevor Howard

Ronald Colman

Shirley Maclaine

Peter Lorre

George Raft

Red Skelton

Marlene DietrichJohn Carradine

Frank Sinatra

Buster Keaton

Joe E. Brown

John Mills

Edward R. Murrow (as the Narrator)

For a more recent example, what about BLACK HAWK DOWN?

Josh Hartnett

Ewan McGregor

Tom Sizemore

Eric Bana

William Fichtner

Ewan Bremner

Sam Shepard

Hugh Dancy

Ron Eldard

Ioan Gruffudd

Jason Isaacs

Zeljko Ivanek

Jeremy Piven

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Tom Hardy (!)

Orlando Bloom

Ty Burrell

• Like 4

Haha, I saw the thread title and was gonna post JFK.

I'll go with an oldie, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (admittedly they were going for as many celebs as they could get):

David Niven

Robert Morley

Noel Coward

John Gielgud

Trevor Howard

Ronald Colman

Shirley Maclaine

Peter Lorre

George Raft

Red Skelton

Marlene DietrichJohn Carradine

Frank Sinatra

Buster Keaton

Joe E. Brown

John Mills

Edward R. Murrow (as the Narrator)

For a more recent example, what about BLACK HAWK DOWN?

Josh Hartnett

Ewan McGregor

Tom Sizemore

Eric Bana

William Fichtner

Ewan Bremner

Sam Shepard

Hugh Dancy

Ron Eldard

Ioan Gruffudd

Jason Isaacs

Zeljko Ivanek

Jeremy Piven

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Tom Hardy (!)

Orlando Bloom

Ty Burrell

Wow!  Black Hawk Down.  Incredible.

• Like 1

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention The Expendables:

Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, Eric Roberts, Randy Couture, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terry Crews.  

• Like 4

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention The Expendables:

Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, Eric Roberts, Randy Couture, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terry Crews.

Ha, you posted Expendables right before me. :P
  • Like 1

And then of course there's the Robert Altman era:  The Player:

Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi, Fred Ward, Whoopi Goldberg, Peter Gallagher, Brion James, Cynthia Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Richard E Grant, Sydney Pollack, Lyle Lovett, Karen Black, Gary Busey, Cher, James Coburn, John Cusack, Peter Falk, Jeff Goldblum, Elliott Gould, Nick Nolte, Jack Lemmon, Lily Tomlin, Bruce Willis, Julia Roberts, Patrick Swayze

• Like 1

The disaster film era in the 70's had great casts.  The Poseiden Adventure and Towering Inferno had monster casts, here is TI:

Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Fred Astaire, Jennifer Jones, Susan Blakely, Richard Chamberlain, Robert Vaughn, O.J. Simpson, Robert Wagner, Susan Flannery, Sheila Matthews, Jack Collins, Norman Burton, John Crawford, Scott Newman, Sheila Matthews, Maureen McGovern.

^^ THE PLAYER needs an asterisk, though, because many of them were playing themselves.

How about HEAT?

Al Pacino

Robert De Niro

Val Kilmer

Jon Voight

Natalie Portman

Ashley Judd

Tom Sizemore

Hank Azaria

Danny Trejo

Henry Rollins

Tone Loc

Jeremy Piven

Amy Brenneman

Mykelti Williamson

Wes Studi

Ted Levine

Dennis Haysbert

William Fichtner

Tom Noonan

Xander Berkeley

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 6

^^ THE PLAYER needs an asterisk, though, because many of them were playing themselves.

How about HEAT?

Al Pacino

Robert De Niro

Val Kilmer

Jon Voight

Natalie Portman

Charlize Theron

Tom Sizemore

Hank Azaria

Danny Trejo

Henry Rollins

Tone Loc

Jeremy Piven

Amy Brenneman

Mykelti Williamson

Wes Studi

Ted Levine

Dennis Haysbert

William Fichtner

Tom Noonan

Xander Berkeley

The Heat is a ridiculously rich cast.  Natalie Portman as the daughter was kind of funny....I mean she was kind of funny.

THE GODFATHER I and (II)

Marlon Brando (Robert De Niro): Only role in history which was awarded with Oscar two times with two different actors.

Al Pacino

James Caan

Diane Keaton

Robert Duvall

John Cazale

Talia Shire

MURDER BY DEATH

Alec Guinness

David Niven

Peter Sellers

Peter Falk

Eileen Brennan

Maggie Smith

Truman Capote

James Coco

Elsa Lanchester

James Cromwell

THE DARK KNIGHT

Christian Bale

Heath Ledger

Aaron Eckhart

Michael Caine

Gary Oldman

Morgan Freeman

MEET THE FOCKERS

Robert De Niro

Ben Stiller

Dustin Hoffman

Barbra Streisand

Blythe Danner

Owen Wilson

APOCALYPSE NOW

Marlon Brando

Martin Sheen

Robert Duvall

Laurence Fishburne

Harrison Ford

Dennis Hopper

INCEPTION

Leonardo Di Caprio

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Ellen Page

Ken Watanabe

Marion Cotillard

Tom Hardy

Cillian Murphy

Michael Caine

Tom Berenger

THE DEPARTED

Jack Nicholson

Leonardo Di Caprio

Matt Damon

Mak Wahlberg

Vera Farmiga

Alec Baldwin

Martin Sheen

THE DIRTY DOZEN

Lee Marvin

Charles Bronson

John Cassavetes

Ernest Borgnine

George Kennedy

Donald Sutherland

Telly Savallas

PULP FICTION

Samuel L. Jackson

John Travolta

Bruce Willis

Maria de Medeiros

Uma Thurman

Harvey Keitel

Tim Roth

Ving Rhames

Rossana Arquette

Christopher Walken

Steve Buscemi

• Like 3

Here are some I thought of

Any Given Sunday

Al Pacino

Dennis Quaid

Cameron Diaz

Jamie Foxx

Aaron Eckhart

James Woods

Charlton Heston

Ann-Margret

Mars Attacks

Jack NicholsonGlenn ClosePierce BrosnanAnnette BeningDanny DevitoMartin ShortSarah Jessica ParkerMichael J. FoxRod SteigerJim BrownPam GrierPaul WinfieldTom JonesJack BlackNatalie PortmanChristna Applegate

The Royal TenenbaumsGene HackmanBen StillerGwyneth PaltrowAngelica HustonLuke WilsonOwen WilsonBill MurrayDanny GloverAlec Baldwin

Edited by scottb
  • Like 3