ecstasy

Mark Ruffalo Appreciation Thread!

The fuck? It was directed by Michael Mann, the man who made Heat and The Last of the Mohicans.

It is SUPERB. Tom Cruise's best performance of the past 20 years almost. You must make a strong effort to see this immediately.

And good thing I tagged that, I almost didn't because I figured statue of limitations had passed.

LOL It's not on Netflix. I guess I'll have to look for it. Michael Mann directed Heat right?

LOL what does your second sentence mean?

LOL It's not on Netflix. I guess I'll have to look for it. Michael Mann directed Heat right?

LOL what does your second sentence mean?

Good thing I spoilered the info about Collateral, it spoils major plot points about the movie. Yep, Mann directed Heat, one of my favs of the 90s.

Edited by MrPink

Good thing I spoilered the info about Collateral, it spoils major plot points about the movie. Yep, Mann directed Heat, one of my favs of the 90s.

Ok so I watched it. It was good. It got a little sketchy after the club scene but overall well done. Now Ruffalo was good but his part wasn't too long. And as a bonus Javier Bardem was in it. I know Leyla would like that, lol.

• Like 1

hahyeah Collaterall I've probably seen like 4 times in the cinema & I wasn't really a fan of Mark @ that time

He really was rather memorable

I initially went o see it bc of Tom Cruise (yeah I like him! judge away :P ) & obv Javier was absolute treat

the one that blew me away was the cinematography :worthy: 

from then I started to look for films shot by Dion Beebe He's still 1 of my fav directors of photography ever

I really can talk abt this film for ages b/c it was really mindblowing on the big screen

• Like 1

news from 'the Normal heart'

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/13/the-normal-heart-first-look/

Posted Image

Larry Kramer’s Tony award-winning 1985 play The Normal Heart—which details the ominous spread of HIV/AIDS among a group of gay men in 1980s New York City—is finally getting a movie adaptation on the small screen. Directed by American Horror Story and Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy, Heart will premiere this spring on HBO and features a star-studded cast including Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts, Matt Bomer, Jim Parsons, and Taylor Kitsch (below, in a photo Ruffalo tweeted out this summer). “It’s a movie about AIDS, but it’s also really a civil rights movie,” says Murphy, who worked with Kramer on the script for three years. “I think it’s more timely than ever before. It’s really about the quest to be seen, not as a gay person or a straight person but just a person…. It’s an activist movie that also has a really great love story in it.” Adds the director, “Of everything I’ve done in my career, I think it is the biggest labor of love.”

All Ruffalo fangirls should watch In The Cut with Meg Ryan...

I watched 

abt 100 times :D

more news abt Polar Bear & more abt JJ Abrams being a producer

http://variety.com/2013/film/features/10-directors-to-watch-maya-forbes-to-unleash-polar-bear-at-sundance-1200970673/

Posted Image

Maya Forbes unveils “Infinitely Polar Bear” at Sundance next month, people may be surprised to see exec producer J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot logo at the front of her debut. The film, inspired by Forbes’ memories of being raised by a bipolar dad (Mark Ruffalo) in a mixed-race household (Zoe Saldana plays her mother), couldn’t be more different from “Cloverfield,” “Super 8” or  other Abrams projects.

“I met J.J. at the park where our kids played together, not in a professional capacity,” explains Forbes, a comedy writer who got her start in Hollywood among the Disney Fellowship program’s inaugural class. Forbes was flattered when Abrams asked what she was working on and delighted when he requested to see the script. Though she had never directed a film, Forbes had plenty of experience on-set, having worked as a writer and co-producer on “The Larry Sanders Show” and a showrunner on HBO’s “The Naked Truth.”
“Having J.J. say he believed I could do it was very helpful in getting it financed,” explains Forbes, who admits, “Even when I first said, ‘I want to direct this movie,’ I thought, ‘I hope I can do this.’ Luckily, when you say you want to direct a project, it’s not like six days later you’re on the set. You’re training all the time before you get there.”
Rather than treating the filmmaking process as therapy or a way of working through childhood issues, Forbes — who collaborates with husband Wallace Wolodarsky — wanted to share the specifics of her unique upbringing with others, the way such films as “The 400 Blows” and “Murmur of the Heart” had for her.
<p>“When I was making ‘Infinitely Polar Bear,’ they said, ‘This counts as a diverse cast because it has minorities and women,’ and I thought, ‘Women count as minorities?’” recalls Forbes, still surprised the kinds of stories she wants to tell seem so alien to Hollywood. “I just love real drama between interesting people.”

I really hope it gets great reviews @ the festival :wub:

Edited by Leyla

more TNH 

tomorrow is the panel

Hundreds of reporters — and the producers and stars looking to court them — will descend on Pasadena this week for the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour.

The two-week tour, which runs Jan. 9-23, will offer wall-to-wall panels featuring midseason wares from both broadcast and cable.

4. HBO’s The Normal Heart. Part of HBO’s impressive lineup that also includes Girls and gay-themed Jonathan Groff comedy Looking, Glee and American Horror Story boss Ryan Murphy will share the TCA stage with stars Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, Jim Parsons, Taylor Kitsch and Julia Roberts to preview his adaptation of Larry Kramer’s Tony-winning play of the same name. Murphy is famous for dropping nuggets of news and journalists will be hoping Thursday is no different. (HBO/Jan. 9)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/12-anticipated-panels-at-tca-668541

Saturday is the daY! 

First time writer-director Maya Forbes tells THR about making the transition from comedy writer to indie filmmaker on the film, which sees the star playing a bipolar dad trying to win back his family.

If the hallmark of Sundance is personal filmmaking, then Infinitely Polar Bear very well may be this year’s festival poster child.  When writer/director Maya Forbes was six years old, her father had a series of manic breakdowns, which led to her parents' separation and move from a country house to a cramped apartment in Cambridge, Mass.  Four years later, her mother, unable to find a good job and unhappy with the conditions in which her two daughters were being raised, enrolled in an MBA program at Columbia University, leaving the girls in the care of their manic-despressive father. Polar Bear is based on Forbes’ memories of those 18 months, and her father’s struggle to care for her and her sister, as well as himself, and his attempt to regain his family. 

In anticipation of Infinitely Polar Bear’s premiere next Saturday at the Eccles Theatre, THR talked to Forbes about how J.J. Abrams got involved, having Mark Ruffalo and Zoe Saldanaplay her parents, and why after 15 years as one of Hollywood’s top comedy writers she decided to pursue her dream of becoming a director of smaller dramatic films. 

Background: 

While an undergraduate at Harvard Forbes wrote for TheLampoon, so it’s not surprising she followed the humor magazine’s long list of alumni (Conan O’Brien, Greg Daniels, BJ Novak,and many more) to write for Hollywood after graduation. “I don't think I would have considered coming out to Hollywood to write comedy if I hadn't been on the Lampoon,”  Forbes tells THR.  “it just seemed possible.”

Her first gig was writing for The Larry Sanders Show.  “I was so young I didn't even realize what an amazing break it was,” she recalls.  “Besides being a big break it was an incredible learning experience. I worked with amazing actors and learned so much from Gary Shandling.”

Forbes has written both broad comedies (The Rocker) and movies her kids will love (Monsters vs. Aliens and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days), but while she was at Harvard her first love was creative writing, especially plays, and she was always drawn to drama and smaller, idiosyncratic movies. Which is why in 2007, she resolved to finish the personal script about her childhood.

Getting the Film Off the Ground: I became friendly with JJ [Abrams] because our children played together at the park,” Forbes explains.  “We chatted about work and I told him I was working on something very personal and he said he'd like to read it.” Abrams reacted strongly to the script and, much to Forbes’ surprise, said he wanted to help get it made. 

Having Abrams attached, “was huge because it's so not what he normally does,” explains Forbes,  “but he's very smart and seemed to understand it on its terms, so having him behind it was very exciting.”

Abrams' involvement also meant the project had a better chance of attracting big-name talent, but Forbes' pregnancy threw the movie into an 18 month delay.  “Then once my son was a year old I thought it was time to start it up again,” recalls Forbes.  She met Mark Ruffalo, instantly knew he’d be ideal for the role, and the project quickly regained momentum.

When it all seemed to click:Forbes always wanted to direct, but was scared of the commitment and the potential of failure.  “When I wrote this script I could see it clearly and I felt like I couldn't hand it over,” remembers Forbes.  “It was sort of like 'well I'm too scared not to do it because I've always wanted to do it.'" More than anything though Forbes was reluctant to hand the script over because she feared another director might fail to give the film the warmth she knew the story needed.  Because of the personal nature of the story, both the tone and sense of family were vital to Forbes.

One day while they were rehearsing, Forbes watched as Ruffalo and Saldana played with the two kids.  “They’re really good actors, but they were also so warm with them, it felt like a family,” explains Forbes. It was at that moment that Forbes said she realized, “I was going to get these really special performances, it’s going to feel real.”

Forbes’ Mission for Infinitely Polar Bear:“So many people have these unconventional family lives,” explains Forbes.  “I remember as a kid feeling how unconventional our life seemed.  It didn't seem like we were like everybody else.   And as I got older I've met so many people that felt that same way.”  She hopes that in writing about a specific part of her childhood she can tap into something more universal:

“My biggest hope is that when people see the movie they relive their childhood in some way.  I would love for them to connect with it viscerally and remember the highs and lows of their own childhood.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sundance-preview-mark-ruffalos-very-671020

more movies' releases - more praise for mah bb!

If you're making a movie with a bear in the title, Mark Ruffalo is a good choice as the lead, with his cuddly appearance and bumbling everyman charm. 

accurate :P

great reviews for 'Infinitely Polar Bear' at Sundance :wub:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10582385/Sundance-2014-Infinitely-Polar-Bear-review.html

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/sundance-film-review-infinitely-polar-bear-1201063884/

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/infinitely-polar-bear/5065517.article?blocktitle=REVIEWS&contentID=40296

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/review-mark-ruffalo-is-remarkable-in-the-emotional-infinite-polar-bear

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/infinitely-polar-bear/review/672243

from EW

Posted Image

Edited by Tauriel

Sundance 2014: the best of the festival

Best: "Infinitely Polar Bear"

It's somewhat disheartening how little buzz Maya Forbes' drama has gotten a week after its Sundance debut. Forbes pulled off something of a miracle in this semi-autobiographical drama about a clinically diagnosed bi-polar/manic man (Mark Ruffalo) who takes charge of watching his elementary school age girls.  As just a log line that seems like something out of a horror movie to many parents, but Forbes flips the narrative by emphasizing the love between father and daughters. It's touching without hinting at being cheesy and one of the few tearjerkers in this year's dramatic competition. It's also Ruffalo's best work ever and an amazing kick off to he year for a man who has the already heralded "Foxcatcher" and HBO's "The Normal Heart" in the wings. 

- Gregory Ellwood

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/best-and-worst-of-the-2014-sundance-film-festival#RUA3IVxZ69zEEQbo.99

Meanwhile, the film trying its best to be the annual Sundance heartwarmer was Infinitely Polar Bear(a quintessentially whimsical Sundance title if ever there was one), with Mark Ruffalo as a bipolar dad charged with caring for his two young daughters when his wife leaves to pursue her studies; critics were divided, but 2015 Oscar gears are already grinding for Ruffalo’s performance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/10597849/Sundance-2014-the-best-of-the-festival.html

The Normal Heart - premiere on May 25  :wub:

Matt & Mark will be HOT!

Posted Image

Matt talking abt working with Mark

Mark was a dream and doing the scenes with a type of intimacy we had to do with a different actor could have been really challenging…I learned so much from working with him. He was so patient and amazing and brilliant in the role. I just had to be present with him. 

'Infinitely Polar bear' is bought by Sony Classics  :wub:

Great reactions from the CASSYL prescreening a couple of days ago

can a song save your life? was completely irresistible, a total crowd-pleaser. it/the corresponding soundtrack is gonna be MASSIVE. 

I just saw a really good movie I preview called Can A Song Save Your Life. 

@JKCorden Just caught a screening of "Can A Song Save Your Life?"! You were hilarious and I really hope this movie does well! Loved it. 

#CanASongSaveYourLife? eschews subtlety & melancholy in favor of sugary sweet sincerity & I ate it up. Knightley & Ruffalo are irresistible. 

Songs are catchy, NYC is lovely, heartstrings are tickled. It's not transcendent like #Once, but I enjoyed #CanASongSaveYourLife? very much. 

#CanASongSaveYourLife was great, especially @Mruff221. More than anything, I loved the music. Definitely getting the soundtrack.

Edited by Tauriel