The Panda

BoxOffice.com's Top 25 Coming-of-Age Films of All-Time (pinned for 1 week)

Have you made yours so you can put those in there? (Some of them are stretches for a coming of age though)

I am working on one as there are so many choices. As I think coming of age movies relate to the growth of a character, rather than worrying if they have a voice over included from an adult. As I hope that you will admit that the karate kid for example is a great coming of age movie, even though it only spans a couple of months.

I am working on one as there are so many choices. As I think coming of age movies relate to the growth of a character, rather than worrying if they have a voice over included from an adult. As I hope that you will admit that the karate kid for example is a great coming of age movie, even though it only spans a couple of months.

Karate Kid is fine, just a couple were question worthy.

I did forget about Boogie Nights and want to add that now.

Karate Kid is fine, just a couple were question worthy. I did forget about Boogie Nights and want to add that now.

In Twins (with Devito) Superman and Rocky are some i bet you question for example, but I see great character growth from the beginning to the end of each movie. Which is what my own definition is of a coming of age movie . Exactly like in Star Wars. Edited by robocop deluxe

In Twins (with Devito) Superman and Rocky are some i bet you question for example, but I see great character growth from the beginning to the end of each movie. Which is what my own definition is of a coming of age movie . Exactly like in Star Wars.

Coming of age isn't character growth though, any good movie has character growth, coming of age deals with a younger child/teenage/young adult character maturing pretty much.
  • Like 1

In Twins (with Devito) Superman and Rocky are some i bet you question for example, but I see great character growth from the beginning to the end of each movie. Which is what my own definition is of a coming of age movie . Exactly like in Star Wars.

That's not a coming of age movie.  Every film has character growth.  Hell, Cannibal Holocaust and Human Centipede have character growth.

• Like 1

Great list Baumer! Have you ever saw The Karate Kid, Rocky, ...

Hmm, has Baumer ever seen Rocky? That's probably a good question but to be honest I don't think it would be Baumer's kind of film. Cast and director are not is cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Somer idiot Italian guy with a speech impediment, I don't think he ever amounted to anything. 

Sounds stupid.  An Italian boxer with a speech impediment?  I'll pass.

• Like 1

lol. Same as mine. When are you planning on presenting yours? Don't wanna steal your thunder. :)

You pick your presentation date first and I'll make mine in correlation to that (to avoid overlap). I probably will do it on a weekend though (Sunday and MLK might work well for me though)

1. City of God

2. Pan’s Labyrinth  

3. Perks of Being A Wallflower

4. The Breakfast Club

5. Boogie Nights

6. Good Will Hunting

7. Spirited Away

8. American Beauty

9. Almost Famous

10. Rebel Without A Cause

11. Stand By Me

12. The Goonies