Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2014

It looks like Winter Sleep will be the frontrunner for the Palme d'Or going in. The director has a great track record at CANNES, but he still hasn't won the coveted award yet.

I think track record might actually hurt him. There's the He'll be back next time mentality which will hurt it. Also, I don't think that Cannes is ready for a non-continental winner this year, especially considering the jury. Nothing super edgy imo. I can't see them passing up Adieu au language. Did you know that Godard's never won? I can't see them passing up what may be one of their last chances. I think that the assayas also has a good chance. He's also a former jury member and well respected. I also think that Fremaux's favourite Japanese chick, the one directing that movie about water could also pick up some traction considering that Fremaux's in love with her as much as he loved Sorrentino. Or maybe loach or Leigh because it has been a while since a British winner. But then again, the jury this year probably won't reward a loach or a Leigh. I can also see Dolan picking up an award, probably the screenplay.
  • Like 1

I'd also bet on Winter Sleep at this point. It's in the best position to take it providing it's good enough. Godard seems too uncompromising these days, he's clearly doing his own thing and not giving a fuck about awards, so unless he puts out a late-career masterpiece I don't see it. I could see Best Director or Grand Prix, but not the big one. 

I could also see Mr. Turner or even Foxcatcher winning, they'll also probably be neck-and-neck for Best Actor. (Hopefully there isn't a tie, I can't fucking stand those).

• Like 1

I don't think Dolan will win anything. He is a very polarizing director and you don't win anything at Cannes without consensus. There is no one on the jury who will go to bat for Dolan. All directors that you guys have mentioned have admirers in the jury so while Ceylan is definitely a favorite I can see another 6-8 directors who can win the Palm.

Well, Stoker was good and she was good in it. Rabbit Hole wasn't that long ago, either. And I'll trust Herzog to know what he's doing. Even in the worst case scenario, it will be a really interesting movie, which is much more than I could say for Grace of Monaco.

• Like 1