Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2014

Faith Akin pulled The Cut from the festival for "personal reasons," but scuttlebutt is it was actually because he insisted on being in competition and the festival wanted to give the German slot to Christian Petzold's Phoenix. (It's been long enough since Cannes had two German films in competition that it seems to be a matter of policy. They're not much keener on Italian competition entries, so festival politics with Berlin and Venice might be at work.) The fact that neither film is in the announced lineup leads me to think they're trying to work something out.Maybe Wang Xiaoshuai's The Intruder will be added too, since it apparently wrapped back in November and I think his last Cannes entry Chongqing Blues was also a late addition. The Golden Era is out because the Chinese release was moved from May to October (Ann Hui is more of a Venice regular anyway, she hasn't been at Cannes in decades). Chinese films are often late additions to festival lineups because of issues with the Film Bureau, or at least that's what I've heard. Of course I'm zero for nine if you look at my guesses on page one, so you should probably ignore me.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

A somewhat rambling Variety article with a tidbit on something I was hoping to see in the lineup:

Or perhaps Mia Hansen-Love, whose keenly anticipated “Eden” was one of the final films to screen for Fremaux’s committee, but was nowhere to be found in this morning’s selection.

So did they reject it, or did they screen it so late that they couldn't make a decision before the announcement? This interview with Thierry Fremaux also hints that Abel Ferrara's Welcome to New York could still show up.

Edited by Bob Violence

eh

saw his debut, j'ai tué ma mère, which was just so fucking film school

He wasn't old enough to be in Film School though so I would cut him some slack. He is a very divisive director but I really liked Laurence Anyways.

THE JURYJane CAMPION – President(Director, Screenwriter, Producer – New Zealand)Carole BOUQUET (Actress – France)Sofia COPPOLA (Director, Screenwriter, Producer – United States)Leila HATAMI (Actress – Iran)JEON Do-yeon (Actress – South Korea)Willem DAFOE (Actor – United States)Gael GARCIA BERNAL (Actor, Director, Producer – Mexico)JIA Zhangke (Director, Screenwriter, Producer – China)Nicolas Winding REFN (Director, Screenwriter, Producer – Denmark)

http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/article/60563.html

This is an awesome jury, especially the four directors.

• Like 1