Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2014

Some contenders for Cannes 2014.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the 64th Berlinale prepares to lower its curtain on Saturday, the attention of the global film industry professionals is turning to the 67th edition of the Cannes Film Festival (from 14 to 25 May 2014, with an advance ceremony on the 24th owing to the European elections). Although we already know who will be presiding over the competition jury (Jane Campion – read the news) as well as what the opening film will be (Grace de Monaco by Olivier Dahan – see the article), mystery still surrounds the programme that is being cooked up by General Delegate Thierry Frémaux, which he will unveil sometime in mid-April. In order to whet your appetite, here is a non-exhaustive list of the possible candidates for selection in the showcase of the world’s biggest festival.

Click http://cineuropa.org/nw.aspx?t=newsdetail&l=en&did=252315

More speculation about a few titles. They are listing a couple of titles as confirmed but the truth is that only Grace Of Monaco is confirmed. Everything else is speculation. Posting this anyway.

Click  for a full list of movies - http://www.tasticfilm.com/festivals/cannes-lineup-the-lay-of-the-landscape-analysis/4556

As I said in another thread I am expecting Foxcatcher to make its way to Cannes. It is the sort of movie that works better at Cannes and if it gets great reception then it is possible that SPC will give it an awards run. Cronenberg, Burton and Assayas making it to Cannes won't surprise anyone. Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman has a great cast and it is a very Cannes sort of movie as well. I tried to google for more information on Finland's Three Days of Theater but maybe it isn't listed by its English title on IMDB. I am really not sure about The Fault In Our Stars but that's mainly because I wasn't really impressed by the trailer but it may play out of competition.

Jake Howell has a speculative post about Cannes. All the usual suspects (Assayas, Cronenberg, Hazanavicius etc.) are in his list but he also mentions some interesting possibilities.

http://moviecitynews.com/2014/02/divining-cannes-2014/

Fincher, David – Gone Girl (October 2014)

Malick, Terrence – Voyage of Time or Knight of Cups (2014, post-prod)

Miike, Takashi – Kuime (2014, completed)

Miller, Frank and Robert Rodriguez – Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014, post-prod)

—Angelina Jolie is a red carpet favorite at Cannes, and her film Unbroken (2014) is undoubtedly being courted by the Festival.

—Had I included 2002’s Festival in my research, Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice would appear above. The film is indeed expected to debut at Cannes.

—Coincidentally, Gavin O’Connor’s Jane Got a Gun is set to be released on August 29, 2014—exactly two years after the theatrical release of John Hillcoat’s 2012 Competition film, Lawless. Seeing as The Weinstein Company is responsible for both of these Westerns, Jane Got a Gun is almost assuredly going to Cannes—assuming they follow the same release strategy as Lawless.

David Ehrlich doesn't think Gone Girl will debut at Cannes

david ehrlich @davidehrlich 53m

@Jake_Howell @firstshowing gone girl will definitely not play there, the new assayas film definitely will

Nymphomaniac will obviously not be in competition, but the director's cut of part 2 (which has yet to be shown anywhere) seems a pretty safe bet for an out of competition slot. The director's cut of part 1 played at Berlin and it was widely reported that the director's cut of part 2 was being held for Cannes.

Christoph Hochhäusler's Light Years and Mia Hansen-Løve's Eden seem like competition contenders that aren't mentioned in any of the above articles. Eden only wrapped at the end of January, but three months for post-production is certainly doable for a presumably non-effects-heavy film. Light Years has been in the can since September, so it's pretty implausible it won't be ready for Cannes. Somewhat less likely candidates that might end up somewhere in the official selection, or perhaps the Directors' Fortnight:

Cymbeline (Michael Almereyda)

The Golden Era (Ann Hui)

Réalité (Quentin Dupieux)

Tokyo Tribes (Sono Sion)

The World of Kanako (Nakashima Tetsuya)

You Can't Win (Robinson Devor)

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

Harvey introduced Big Eyes to buyers at Cannes last year. The project is finished and they are aiming a fall 2014 release so it is a very strong possibility as well. Suite Francaise could very easily premiere at Cannes too.

:drool: predictions

predictions everywhere

http://variety.com/2014/film/international/cannes-wishlist-15-movies-our-critics-hope-to-see-at-this-years-festival-1201151330/

Very happy about  Zhang Yimou's film being there 100%  :wub:

Hopefully my man Andrei Zvyagintsev will be there too. Just read his interview.

He really seems to be proud of Leviafan. Not to mention they filmed in Kirovsk which is like a couple of hours from here.

& it would be great if Cymbeline manages to be in any programm @ the fest

My absolute most anticipated movie of this year

Ethan Hawke said he really is pleased with the movie :wub:

Edited by Tauriel

To be fair, it was fucking shit. It took all the good from Festen's interpretation of Dogme, and shit all over it.

Yeah, Dancer in the Dark is a fucking masterpiece and I do find Lars von Trier a fascinating figure, but The Idiots just seems like the worst kind of "smelling-your-own-farts" artsploitation. Not interested. 

• Like 1

The Idiots is nowhere near shit, or exploitation, and is one of the essential parts of LVT's filmography. Granted I personally like the movie as a meta-mockery of the Dogme 95 movement, so I never had that problem with it. And what makes it better is that it's not just trolling for the sake of it, there are some devastating moments in there. It's got one of the most powerful final scenes I've seen in any film, hands down.

• Like 2

The Idiots is nowhere near shit, or exploitation, and is one of the essential parts of LVT's filmography. Granted I personally like the movie as a meta-mockery of the Dogme 95 movement, so I never had that problem with it. And what makes it better is that it's not just trolling for the sake of it, there are some devastating moments in there. It's got one of the most powerful final scenes I've seen in any film, hands down.

But it's just full of unlikable characters, really awkward situations in general (I understand that is the point though), and the worst, most gratuitous sex scene I've seen in any film. I understand what LVT was going for, but as a Dogme 95 follow up to Festen (which was a fantastic film in its own right, regardless of whether it was Dogme 95 or not) it paled in comparison in every way.