Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Asylum does ton of movies that are very similar to blockbusters released by the big studios. AE is their version of After Earth.

Did they do Snakes on a Train, stuff like that?

So is this supposed to be intentionally bad?

Not intentionally bad, per se, just that being "good" in any way isn't part of the plan. They have ridiculously low budgets, a title and poster designed to rip-off a big blockbuster (or would-be blockbuster), and are basically guaranteed money-makers. Years ago, the Asylum used to have a deal with Hollywood Video where anything they made would get stocked on shelves, so all they had to do was keep the budgets down and they were profitable. Nowadays a lot of their stuff ends up on the SyFy Channel (they do all the infamously-named movies like SHARKNADO, MEGA-SHARK VS CROCOSAURUS, etc).

On the plus side, they tend to be pretty open-minded about who directs these things (they have to be, since they pay almost nothing and you have to be willing/able to work with zero budget on a super-fast schedule).

• Like 2

I think I'm going to call Asylum and ask them if I can be in one of their movies.  I have two films to my credit.....lol...I can't be any worse than some of the "actors" in this film.

Putting aside the whole animal-mashup subgenre they've popularized, here are some Asylum classics:

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And coming up next month:

Posted Image

Cool.  Carl Weathers hunh?  Ok lol.

Have you seen Hold Your Breath, Tele?  It has Katrina Bowden in it, so it can't be all bad.  And it looks like a Fallen rip off, but actually not too bad.

Granted bad movies get nominated for make up and hairstyling, costumes, and visual effects all the time, but still.Here are movies that are Oscar nomineesThe Lone RangerBad GrandpaThe Great GatsbyThe Book ThiefAlone Yet Not AloneMovies that aren't oscar nomineesShort Term 12Fruitvale StationMudBlackfishThe Spectacular Now

Granted bad movies get nominated for make up and hairstyling, costumes, and visual effects all the time, but still.Here are movies that are Oscar nomineesThe Lone RangerBad GrandpaThe Great GatsbyThe Book ThiefAlone Yet Not AloneMovies that aren't oscar nomineesShort Term 12Fruitvale StationMudBlackfishThe Spectacular Now

+Rush