grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

Number 16:

#16: Monsters University

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Gopher:

It still feels like a cohesive film, but narratively breaks off into three acts: 

Act I: We get reintroduced to Mike and Sully and fully introduced to the college. Goals and themes are introduced, some less obvious than others. It's the slowest section of the film, but it's still fun, and the character designs and attention to detail was more than enough to keep me interested. 

Act II: The Scare Games. This is the section of the film that's the most remnicient of animal house. Tons of clever setpieces, great laughs, and heartwarming moments. It ends how you might expect it to, but I felt disappointed because I thought they were wrapping things up too quickly. Until..

Act III: The rug gets pulled out from under and the movie adds a whole new layer to itself. The climatic scene of the movie involves two characters just talking and it's a remarkable scene. The third act of this film ranks with Pixar's best work. It totally moved me. 

In short, I really liked it and it will probably be my favorite animated film of all of 2013. 

Blankments:

I wrote off this movie as crap before I saw it. The trailers were unappealing, and I thought Pixar had lost their touch after two crappy movies in a row. The movie though was surprisingly good. Not as great as the original, but it's one of Pixar's funniest movies. I didn't know how it'd work as a prequel since the original's heart is all Boo, and a prequel removes that. However, the film still manages to tug the heartstrings along with being hilarious. It has also possibly the bravest message so far in a Pixar movie, one that is very effective and a great asset. Surprise of the year for me. A

:puke:

• Like 1

Number 15

#15: THE CONJURING

Posted Image

Delivering good scares, good performances and a good story to boot, “The Conjuring” was one of those movies which seemingly came out of nowhere in a pretty crowded summer. I had no expectations from the movie, especially since horror movies have been reduced to found footage movies which are made on the cheap. But “The Conjuring” was a pretty good horror movie that didn’t rely a lot on the jump scare and instead concentrated on developing an eerie atmosphere throughout. I still feel that the R-Rating given to the movie was not necessary – it had no blood, no sex and no expletives, it was apparently given the R rating for “being too scary”

Box Office: 137.4M Domestic / 318M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Claire Holt

I liked it. It didn't scare me, but I thought it was really good. The other movies might have scared me, but they weren't as good as this.

I am leaning towards a B+ or A-.

Filmbuff

I wasn't overly terrified by this film, but it was still creepy/scary as hell. There's something about the period of this movie(1970's) which creeped me the hell out. Paranormal Investigators didn't have access to all the technology they have now like EV scopes, Infrared Cameras, Computers, Cell Phones, and etc. The Conjuring ignores those gimmicks by taking place in the 70's. The atmosphere James Wan establishes in this film is inherently wicked. The cinematography/art direction was top notch. One thing I was curious about this movie was its rating®. Based not on violence or nudity, but based on how terrifying it was. Definitely think it lives up to that R rating. This movie is well acted and brilliantly made. Definitely recommend.

A or 4.75/5.

• Like 7

Number 14:

#14: DESPICABLE ME 2

Posted Image

Despicable Me 2 was a decent follow-up to Despicable Me; while I think I expected the Minions to be more of a focus this time around (thanks to the advertising focusing solely on them), sometimes in the movie I felt that they were not necessary in quite a few scenes. The movie actually has a good story to hold it together without needing the Minions to be present in every single scene. Somehow, I felt that the movie didn’t manage to balance that aspect.

That being said, this was a thoroughly entertaining movie. Gru, Margot, Edith and Agnes are back and it was worth the wait. The characters’ return led to Despicable Me 2 becoming one of the biggest movies of the year.

Box office:  368M Domestic / 964M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Robertron

Just as good as, if not better than, the first. And those minions... Oh my lord I could watch an entire movie on them they are so addictive!!

9.0/10.0

Narniadis

While there is not "it’s so fluffy" moment I really felt like this film developed the Gru and Girls relationship, as it should have being a sequel. Loved it as it stand right now this is the best mainstream film I have seen for 2013 above even MU, I laughed and laughed and laughed and had so much fun, part of which I am sure is due to the audience which just ate it up, but in part as well to the fact that they put a well done movie on the screen for all to enjoy. So looking forward to the Minion movie in 2015.

A-

• Like 2

It's a movie about atmosphere. Just because it doesn't have enough "scares" doesn't make it bad.

Agreed, "Scares" aren't scary they are just loud noises that make you jump and only make you nervous because you don't want your eardrums blasted out.   The Conjuring actually manages to be creepy.

Number 14:

Posted Image

Despicable Me 2 was a decent follow-up to Despicable Me; while I think I expected the Minions to be more of a focus this time around (thanks to the advertising focusing solely on them), sometimes in the movie I felt that they were not necessary in quite a few scenes. The movie actually has a good story to hold it together without needing the Minions to be present in every single scene. Somehow, I felt that the movie didn’t manage to balance that aspect.

That being said, this was a thoroughly entertaining movie. Gru, Margot, Edith and Agnes are back and it was worth the wait. The characters’ return led to Despicable Me 2 becoming one of the biggest movies of the year.

BOF User Reviews:

Robertron

Just as good as, if not better than, the first. And those minions... Oh my lord I could watch an entire movie on them they are so addictive!!

9.0/10.0

Narniadis

While there is not "it’s so fluffy" moment I really felt like this film developed the Gru and Girls relationship, as it should have being a sequel. Loved it as it stand right now this is the best mainstream film I have seen for 2013 above even MU, I laughed and laughed and laughed and had so much fun, part of which I am sure is due to the audience which just ate it up, but in part as well to the fact that they put a well done movie on the screen for all to enjoy. So looking forward to the Minion movie in 2015.

A-

No....Wrong

• Like 4

It's a movie about atmosphere. Just because it doesn't have enough "scares" doesn't make it bad.

It doesn't even have a scary atmosphere, IMO. I didn't get scared, or was close to frightened once. I actually laughed during a few scenes...

• Like 1

Two write ups from me I feel privileged lol too bad I have fallen behind on reviewing and haven't done some of the better films from the year...

I'm going to try and start my reviewing back up again with the Monument's Men and LEGO Movie, I just needed a break from it.

Number 13:

#13: IRON MAN 3

Posted Image

The biggest movie of the summer was the first movie of the summer. Iron Man 3 divided fanboys, but the general audience seemed to be ready for more adventures with Tony Stark following Avengers. The movie also featured a good performance by Ben Kingsley, but the twist involving his character was slightly disappointing. Shane Black delivered with snappy dialogue for Robert Downey Jr, and overall the movie was a slick package which the audiences flocked to. It opened to the second highest OW ever, and finished with over 400M.

Box Office: 409M Domestic / 1.215B WW

BOF User Reviews:

Coolio D1

Iron Man 3 is fun. It's not Avengers level awesome that gives me feelings if childlike excitement that makes me immune to recognising any flaws it might have though. I think it mostly suffers from a pretty weak villain with Pearce. As amazing, unexpected and hilarious as the twist in the film is, it did give me a feeling of "Oh really? So this guy is our main villain?... Mmkay" regarding Pearce.

But that's really my biggest complaint. Shane Black mostly gets the tone of the movie right, it's quite funny and there's some good serious stuff about how Iron Man is fucking up Tony Stark's head. The action scenes are all done well, RDJ is as good as ever but Kingsley is the best here. He's just ridiculously entertaining to watch.

Yads

This is a pure Shane Black movie. Which is what makes it so good. I recently rewatched Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and was half expecting Iron Man 3 to be somewhat watered down by Marvel/Disney and the huge expectations he was under.... but it just isn't. At all. The humour is spot on and makes this easily the funniest Iron Man movie. The voiceover could be straight out of KKBB. The frickin' Christmas songs! Even the Mandarin reveal (which BTW is hilarious and the best scene in the movie) is pure Black-style subversion.

It's not perfect - the third act battle is a bit weak, and Guy Pearce doesn't make as good a villain as I thought he would. But it's entertaining all the way through thanks to a good script and RDJ - and unlike the second one it feels like a complete three act movie instead of a commercial for a different movie.

• Like 7

Number 14:

Posted Image

BOF User Reviews:

Robertron

9.0/10.0

Narniadis

A-

Posted Image

• Like 3

Number 13:

#13: IRON MAN 3

Posted Image

The biggest movie of the summer was the first movie of the summer. Iron Man 3 divided fanboys, but the general audience seemed to be ready for more adventures with Tony Stark following Avengers. The movie also featured a good performance by Ben Kingsley, but the twist involving his character was slightly disappointing. Shane Black delivered with snappy dialogue for Robert Downey Jr, and overall the movie was a slick package which the audiences flocked to. It opened to the second highest OW ever, and finished with over 400M.

Box Office: 409M Domestic / 1.215B WW

BOF User Reviews:

Coolio D1

Iron Man 3 is fun. It's not Avengers level awesome that gives me feelings if childlike excitement that makes me immune to recognising any flaws it might have though. I think it mostly suffers from a pretty weak villain with Pearce. As amazing, unexpected and hilarious as the twist in the film is, it did give me a feeling of "Oh really? So this guy is our main villain?... Mmkay" regarding Pearce.

But that's really my biggest complaint. Shane Black mostly gets the tone of the movie right, it's quite funny and there's some good serious stuff about how Iron Man is fucking up Tony Stark's head. The action scenes are all done well, RDJ is as good as ever but Kingsley is the best here. He's just ridiculously entertaining to watch.

Yads

This is a pure Shane Black movie. Which is what makes it so good. I recently rewatched Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and was half expecting Iron Man 3 to be somewhat watered down by Marvel/Disney and the huge expectations he was under.... but it just isn't. At all. The humour is spot on and makes this easily the funniest Iron Man movie. The voiceover could be straight out of KKBB. The frickin' Christmas songs! Even the Mandarin reveal (which BTW is hilarious and the best scene in the movie) is pure Black-style subversion.

It's not perfect - the third act battle is a bit weak, and Guy Pearce doesn't make as good a villain as I thought he would. But it's entertaining all the way through thanks to a good script and RDJ - and unlike the second one it feels like a complete three act movie instead of a commercial for a different movie.

I am one of the people that really likes Iron Man 3, but no...

• Like 1