baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

41 I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart. The Godfather Part II 1974

The Godfather II holds the distinction of being the only film in Oscar history to win the Oscar for best picture, director and screenplay after the original did as well.  In fact, The Lord of the Rings, the Return of the King is the only other sequel to win best picture.  However, it did not come after any of the first two won any major awards.  Robert DeNiro also won his first acting Oscar and was the first Oscar awarded to a best actor/supporting actor that was primarily in a foreign language.  The line packs it's power because Michael, the head of family, knows his brother Fredo betrayed him by working with a rival gangster which eventually lead to an attempt on Michael's life.  He grabs Fredo, gives him the kiss of death and tells him, with hurt in his eyes and anger and regret in his voice, that he knows it was him.

• Like 5

Y'know, I seen me a mermaid once. I even seen me a shark eat an octopus. But I ain't never seen no phantom Russian submarine.

Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing lollipops.  But it also means I keep my options open.

(Why are we quoting The Hunt for Red October?)

• Like 4

40 E.T phone home E.T the Extra Terrestrial 1982

Written by Melissa Matheson which was based on an imaginary friend director Steven Spielberg had as a child, E.T. won over hearts around the world.  In 1983 it surpassed Star Wars to become the highest grossing film of all time.  That record would last for another 10 years until Spielberg usurped himself with Jurassic Park.  One of the reasons the line resonates so deeply with so many people is that you are invested in E.T's well being.  When he dies, it was one of the biggest tear jerking moments in film history.  And then when he is reborn, one of the first things he says to Elliot is, "E.T. phone home."  Elliot screams with joy and this begins the final frenetic 15 minutes of the movie when Elliot and his pals must get E.T. to his pick up point.  E.T. was nominated for 9 Oscars and lost 5 of them, only picking up oscars for sound, score, visual effects and sound effects editing.  Richard Attenborough won best director for Gandhi that year and when interviewed after his win, he remarked, "I was certain that not only would E.T. win, but that it should win. It was inventive, powerful, [and] wonderful. I make more mundane movies."

• Like 3

A little revolution now and then is a healthy thing, don't you think?

(Just starting an early push for the Awesomely-Quoted Movie list.)  :)

Hmm, I've never known THFRO to be one of those quoted movies.

39 I'll have what she's having. When Harry met Sally 1989

When Harry Met Sally is a fascinating film and imo one of the all time under rated films of the 80's.  Written by Nora Ephron, much of Sally's quirks were based on her own experiences.  Sally has a propensity to order her food quite in quite a strange manner.  There is also a scene where Sally tells Harry that she doesn't wear underpants on Sunday because they don't make days of the week panties on Sunday, probably because of God; this too was an Ephron quirk and true story.  The famous orgasm scene in the deli was first done by Rob Reiner, for Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.  Meg assured him she could do it but when she did, it wasn't enough.  Reiner then took over the scene and did the screaming orgasm, banging the table, yelling Yes, Yes, Yes.  Ryan took her cue from him and the take you see in the movie is the first one that she did for Reiner after his demonstration.  The woman who says the line is Rob Reiner's mother.  It's her last acting credit, and as such, she left with a bang as it makes our top 40.

• Like 5

38 The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist The Usual Suspects 1995

Here's a film that was released in 1995 and was done by two completely unknown men.  Christopher McQuarrie wrote it and Bryan Singer directed it.  Kevin Spacey was so impressed with Singer's first film that he told him that he absolutely had to be in one of his next films. The character of Verbal Kint/Keyser Soze was written specifically for Spacey.  The film was only nominated for two awards and it won them both.  Best supporting actor for Spacey and best original screenplay for McQuarrie.  Keyser Soze is a mythical monster in the film, and several times he is compared to the devil.  Just before Verbal Kint utters this line he tells the interrogator that he believes in God and the only thing that scares him, is Keyser Soze.  It leads to the "Greatest trick" line.  The entire script has memorable moments and lines, this one being the best.

• Like 5

37 I'm King of the world Titanic 1997

Written by James Cameron, this film, as we all know, went on to become the highest grossing film in history and it gave James Cameron his first and only best director Oscar.  The line represents all that Jack is at that moment in his life.  He is a poor teenager who just won a ticket for Titanic in poker game against two Swedes, who he presumably just met prior to the maiden voyage.  That ticket had a face value of about $300.00 in today's economy so for him to win two tickets to get onto the Titanic, and to stand at the very tip of the ship, feeling the heat of the sun on his face, the wind in his hair and the joy rushing through him like a tidal wave, he thrusts his hands in the air and lets the world know how he feels.  There's pure joy and innocence in his actions and his words.  

• Like 6

Written by James Cameron, this film, as we all know, went on to become the highest grossing film in history and it gave James Cameron his first and only best director Oscar.  The line represents all that Jack is at that moment in his life.  He is a poor teenager who just won a ticket for Titanic in poker game against two Swedes, who he presumably just met prior to the maiden voyage.  That ticket had a face value of about $300.00 in today's economy so for him to win two tickets to get onto the Titanic, and to stand at the very tip of the ship, feeling the heat of the sun on his face, the wind in his hair and the joy rushing through him like a tidal wave, he thrusts his hands in the air and lets the world know how he feels.  There's pure joy and innocence in his actions and his words.  

THIS SHOULD BE NUMBER 1. I LOVE THIS LINE. I LOVE THIS FILM

• Like 2

Sweet!

Im really hoping "I'll Never Let Go" makes the list as well!

• Like 2

36 Keep your friends close and your enemies closer The Godfather II 1974

As mentioned previously, this was written by Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola.  The line dates back (unofficially) to the 6th century BC when Sun-Tzu who wrote The Art of War.  Michael Corleone looks at the family business as a war.  Enemies threaten to destroy what his family has worked so hard to build, so in essence, it is imperative that his enemies are as close as can be.  This one line, perhaps more than any other in the Saga, describes what the films are best known for.  Brilliant and astute writing which gets you completely immersed into a world that most of us know nothing about.  

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 4

Here are some more than were just on the outside:

Live long and prosper Wrath of Khan 
X Did you fuck my wife? Raging Bull 
X Hasta La vista Baby Terminator 
X I think of a man, take away reason and accountability. As good as it gets 
X That's not a knife… now that's a knife Crocodile Dundee 
X I'll get you my pretties! And you're little dog too! Wizard of Oz 
X A Martini, shaken. Not Stirred Goldfinger
X Good morning. And in case I don't see ya, good afternoon… The Truman Show 

35 What we've got here... is failure to communicate Cool Hand Luke 1967

Written by Donn Pearce and Frank Pierson, Cool Hand Luke tells the story of a prisoner in a Florida prison who refuses to buckle under to the system.  The screenplay was nominated for best screenplay for the 1967 Oscars but it lost out to Guess Who's coming to Dinner?  The line has been imitated in myriad of Hollywood movies, sometimes directly quoting the line, sometimes indirectly.  You can even look at Roland Emmerich's 1996 film Independence Day where Will Smith says to Jeff Goldblum,. "We're going to have to work on our communication" as being inspired by Cool Hand Luke.  Guns N Roses even used it in their very powerful, Civil War.

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 4

Scrolling through the list so far, this is a lot of great stuff.  I'm a little surprised no QT film quotes have shown up yet, unless they're all ranked in the top 40.  If not, then this list is a travesty.  A travesty, I say.

Can you tell me which lines of QT's you think should make the list?

34 Here's looking at you kid Casablanca 1942

This screenplay has produced some of the most iconic lines in the history of film.  I'm not sure what more I can say about this film that hasn't already been said.  Even for guys like me who are more predisposed and blatantly accepting of films post 1970, Casablanca cannot be ignored or overlooked.  It's well acted, shot, directed and of course written.  It truly is one of the most iconic films in the history of film and it seems to transcend time, genre, generations, age, race and everything else.  It's universally loved and respected.  Casablanca is the Zdeno Chara of film the film world (look him up :) )

• Like 6