baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

69 Whoever saves one live, saves the world entire  Schindlers List 1993

Steve Zaillian won the Oscar for best adapted screenplay as he adapted Thomas Keneally's novel.  Zaillian wrote words that affected us all.  This is also the film where people say Spielberg grew up.  By 1993, he had been in the business for more than 20 years and he had directed and produced the biggest films in the world.  But Oscar had alluded him.  That all changed in 1993.  Not only did he win the Oscar for best direction and as one of the producer's of the film, he also directed the biggest box office hit of all time with Jurassic Park.  It's a year in film that might never be duplicated. 

Posted Image

• Like 6

I'm a LOTR loonie and I didn't vote for "My precious." :ph34r:

I'm not a loonie and I voted for My friends.....that damn final scene is so emotional.  I cry like a baby almost every time.

• Like 1

68 But I'm funny how, I mean funny like a clown, I amuse you? Goodfellas 1990

Goodfellas is considered one of the definitive films of the 90's.  It's also considered, arguably, the best mob film ever made.  Godfather has something to say about that of course but the argument can be made.  Nicholas Pileggi and Martin Scorcese adapted the screenplay from Pileggi's own novel and it was nominated for best adapted screenplay but lost to Dances With Wolves.  Personally speaking, I'm okay with Dances With Wolves winning best picture.  I'm even okay and understanding of DWW winning a best director for Kevin Costner.  But to have it lose best adapted screenplay is pretty silly imo.  Joe Pesci utters this line as well as the rest of the scene, but the film is filled with wit and realism and it should have been more honoured than it was.

Posted Image

• Like 6

67 It's just a flesh wound. Monty Python and the Holy Grail 1975

Before there was Airplane, or Hot Shots or Austin Powers, there was Monty Python.  This British satirical funny troupe of merry men made fun of everything.  Monty Python and The Holy Grail is considered their crowning achievement.  Written by six members of the group, including John Cleese and Michael Palin, this scene is one of a myriad of funny scenes.  In it, King Arthur must duel the Black Knight.  If he is victorious, he shall pass and be allowed to go on his quest.  King Arthur is perhaps the best swordsman in the land but the Black Knight will have none of it, and even after the King has cut off both his arms,the Knight still wants to carry on, which prompts Arthur to say, "Look you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left."  To which he replies, "It's only a flesh wound."

Posted Image

• Like 9

66 That's what I love about these high school girls man, I get older but they stay the same age. Dazed and Confused 1993

The 80's and late 70's gave birth to the high school coming of age movie.  With films like Animal House, Porky's and The Breakfast Club, there were many memorable films and scripts from that era.  It began to die off late in the 80's when John Hughes went from Ferris Bueller's Day Off to Planes Trains and Automobiles.  But then in 1993, then unknown writer/director Richard Linklater unleashed a throw back to the time of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Last American Virgin.  This was a film that spoke to a generation.  It dealt with pot, high school, bullies, acceptance and much much more.  Matthew McConaughey got to utter this famous line and he said it with a cool swagger, one that would define his career.  It's also the first film in which he uttered his now famous line, "All right, all right, all right."

Posted Image

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 8

65 I'm too old for this shit. Lethal Weapon 1987

Lethal Weapon was written by boxoffice.com's favourite son, Shane Black.  This was his first screenplay and what a debut it was.  It went on to spawn three sequels and make household names out of Danny Glover and Mel Gibson (who was already very famous but this put him over the top).  It also started Black's long standing and tight relationship with uber producer, Joel Silver.  Silver even cast him as one of the special forces guys in Predator.  The line is so iconic that it has been referenced, copied, made fun of and stolen in a plethora of films.  Danny Glover first utters it when he inadvertently pulls a gun on his new partner, in which Riggs, played by Gibson, shoulder flips him.  As Glover is lying on the ground, his captain says, "meet your new partner."  And the line is spoken for the first time.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HpL-5pqQZqI

• Like 7

64 Show me the money Jerry Maguire 1996

Cameron Crowe exploded into Hollywood in 1982 when he wrote a screenplay that was based on his under cover assignment of going back to high school and recording everything he witnessed while posing as a high school student.  That film was a launch pad for a plethora of future stars, including future Oscar winners Sean Penn and Forrest Whitaker.  14 years later, Crowe the screenplay for Jerry Maguire which was more of a love story than it was about a sports agent, but the line uttered by Cuba Gooding Jr. encapsulated the greed era in sports with pin point precision.  The money that athletes make in today's sports climate is truly absurd.  20 million dollars a year to thrown a football, swing a bat or dunk a ball is unfathomable to the average man and woman.  Gooding's stark delivery of the line seemingly helped usher in this era.  

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 9

63 I'm Sparticus Sparticus 1960  

30 years before Gladiator graced our screens, Kirk Douglas was Spartacus.  Dalton Trumbo wrote the script and Stanley Kubrick took over directing duties where there was creative differences between Douglas and director Anthony Mann and there was reports of all kinds of ego clashing on this film.  But ultimately, it didn't matter as Spartacus went on to be one of the defining films of the 1960's.  Shockingly, the only major award the script was nominated for was the WGA in 1961.  The power this line has comes from a band of brothers, which are recaptured slaves, stick up for Spartacus, all claiming to be he.  They know it will ultimately lead to their death but they do it anyway.

Posted Image

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 6

62 We'll always have Paris Casablanca 1942

The second line from the film Casablanca.  This line is said by Rick to Ilsa as he tells her he has to leave.  They'll always have the memories that Paris gave them.  It's a sad but touching moment in the film as two lovers must part ways.  It's a sacrifice they both have to make.  They don't want to of course, but with great love comes great sacrifice.  Inevitably, there is always sacrifice.

Posted Image

• Like 6

63 I'm Sparticus Sparticus 1960  

30 years before Gladiator graced our screens, Kirk Douglas was Spartacus.  Dalton Trumbo wrote the script and Stanley Kubrick took over directing duties where there was creative differences between Douglas and director Anthony Mann and there was reports of all kinds of ego clashing on this film.  But ultimately, it didn't matter as Spartacus went on to be one of the defining films of the 1960's.  Shockingly, the only major award the script was nominated for was the WGA in 1961.  The power this line has comes from a band of brothers, which are recaptured slaves, stick up for Spartacus, all claiming to be he.  They know it will ultimately lead to their death but they do it anyway.

Posted Image

Dalton Trumbo had been blacklisted in Hollywood after he refused to give information to the HUAC. He actually served time in prison and for over a decade couldn't get work in LA. In 1960 Otto Preminger broke the blacklist by announcing he was the screenwriter of EXODUS (which was a huge hit that year), and very shortly afterwards Kirk Douglas publicized Trumbo's credit for the SPARTACUS screenplay. There was probably still a lot of anti-Trumbo sentiment at the time (or fear of antagonizing the studio heads who blacklisted him in the first place), so it's not surprising he didn't get a lot of awards.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

61 It was beauty that killed the beast King Kong 1933

One of the first iconic monster movies.  Written by Ruth Rose and James Creeman, the film tugs at your heart near the end when after it looks like Kong is killed by brute force as he battles planes and then his fall from great heights, Carl Denham tells the police that it wasn't any of those that finally got him, but the love of a woman.  Beauty killed the beast.  The line inspired many films, ideas, TV shows and plays in the future.  Beauty and the Beast is a direct result from this one line that was uttered 80 years ago when RKO pictures released a film about a giant gorilla who falls in love with a beautiful woman.

Posted Image

• Like 8

Dalton Trumbo had been blacklisted in Hollywood after he refused to give information to the HUAC. He actually served time in prison and for over a decade couldn't get work in LA. In 1960 Otto Preminger broke the blacklist by announcing he was the screenwriter of EXODUS (which was a huge hit that year), and very shortly afterwards Kirk Douglas publicized Trumbo's credit for the SPARTACUS screenplay. There was probably still a lot of anti-Trumbo sentiment at the time (or fear of antagonizing the studio heads who blacklisted him in the first place), so it's not surprising he didn't get a lot of awards.

I have to admit, I knew nothing about any of this when I was looking up info about the film.  But the back story with this is fascinating.  Maybe you should have done the write up for this one, Tele.  

• Like 1