baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

I fucking love that line. Happy it got in since only 5 people out of 11 put it on their lists.

Sadly I have not seen that film.  I will rectify that soon.

• Like 1

I'll carry the torch for a bit.

90) You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig. - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

The second line from the iconic western to make this list. This time, it's spoken near the end by Eastwood's Blondie to Eli Wallach's Tuco, as a callback to the line Tuco had said to him at the beginning: There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting. It's one of the last lines Eastwood says in The Man With No Name trilogy, and it only cements him further as one of the coolest characters in all cinema. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was written by Sergio Leone, Luciano Vincenzoni, Furio Scarpelli and Agenore Incrocci. 

Posted Image

• Like 10

89) If it bleeds, we can kill it. - Predator (1987)

Damn straight. One of those lines that's iconic precisely because it's so simple and to the point. And as delivered by Arnie in his prime, it's also couldn't be more badass. Predator was written by John Thomas and Jim Thomas, who were inspired by the joke making rounds in Hollywood following the release of Rocky IV: since Rocky had run out of earthly opponents, he would have to fight an alien creature in the next movie if it were to be made. The Thomas brothers took the joke seriously, and the rest is history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0WXQ3Ho4

• Like 9

88) Kneel before Zod! - Superman II (1980)

This is the trademark line of General Zod and definitely one of the most classic and memorable comic book movie lines in history. And it remains firmly tied to Terence Stamp, who in Superman II plays Zod as almost bored with his incredible powers and disappointed with the ease of overtaking Earth - until he comes face to face with Superman, and his rage and hunger for power over his equal instantly kick in, in glorious fashion. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0

• Like 13

87) A million dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool?.. A billion dollars. - The Social Network (2010)

I actually realized only now that the whole of this line was delivered by two different characters in two different scenes, even if mere seconds apart. I don't know if it's worth taking issue with, personally I'm good with it. And besides, it's a great line; The Social Network is a film about our time, and this line does the perfect job of demonstrating the attitudes of the world that we live in today. Following Forrest Gump and The Godfather, it is the third film in this list that won the Oscar for its screenplay, which was written by Aaron Sorkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0n7vTLz1U

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 12

96) I bet you can squeal like a pig! Weeee! Deliverance 1972

James Dickey adapted his own novel and in the process he created a film that, 40 years later, still scares the hell out of men everywhere. Over the years the line has been distorted to the point where people think it's, "I'm going to make you squeal like a pig."

The scene has Ned Beatty tied up, alone in the forest. One of the mountain men is behind him, taunting him. He then rapes him and yells that line to him. It's a horrifying moment in the movie and one that has remained in our vernacular years after it's release.

James Dickey was nominated for a Golden Globe for best adapted screenplay.

Posted Image

:lol: What a picture.
  • Like 3

89) If it bleeds, we can kill it. - Predator (1987)

Damn straight. One of those lines that's iconic precisely because it's so simple and to the point. And as delivered by Arnie in his prime, it's also couldn't be more badass. Predator was written by John Thomas and Jim Thomas, who were inspired by the joke making rounds in Hollywood following the release of Rocky IV: since Rocky had run out of earthly opponents, he would have to fight an alien creature in the next movie if it were to be made. The Thomas brothers took the joke seriously, and the rest is history.

Nice!

If it was up to me we would have had 10 lines from Predator. :D

• Like 3

I'll count it down to 80, then I'll post some of the lines that didn't make it.

85) The needs of the many.... outweigh the needs of the few Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan 1982

Star Trek is a phenom.  Along with Star Wars, it is the definitive science fiction property.  Dating back to 1966 when Gene Rodenberry's vision became a reality on network television, Star Trek has been in our vernacular ever since.  The screenplay was by Jack B. Sowards and uncredited help from the director Nicholas Meyer.  The line is uttered by Spock as he logically tells Captain Kirk that essentially one man's life, his own, his not more important than the lives of many others.  

Posted Image

• Like 10

84 You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. The Dark Knight 2008

The Dark Knight is perhaps one of the best films (to many) to come out in the new millennium. The Nolan brothers, Chris and Jonathan wrote the script that is littered with many memorable lines.  Harvey Dent first utters this line while out to dinner with Bruce Wayne and Rachel.  He is passionate about cleaning up the city and that passion, which is bordering on idealism, is what intrigues Bruce.  He sees a lot of himself in Harvey.  But ultimately that ideal espoused by Harvey unfortunately comes true.  

Posted Image

• Like 8

83 Is it safe Marathon Man 1976

John Schlesinger directed this powerhouse film and William Goldman adapted the screenplay from his own novel.  Voted the 70th best line of all time by AFI.  Robert Towne, of Chinatowne fame, had an uncredited rewrite for the climax of the film.  John Schlesinger never made a commercially successful film after this one, but essentially, he went out with a bang.  This was voted one of the best films of 1976.  The screenplay was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Posted Image

• Like 4

82 I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of bubblegum They Live 1988

Perhaps the most obscure film on this list, They Live is nonetheless a nerd classic.  John Carpenter has directed some of the all time classic horror films but They Live might be his most socially relevant yet esoteric film.  Carpenter adapted the screenplay from a short story by Ray Nelson.  This is a 25 year old film and yet the topics it discusses are more relevant today than they ever have been.  No, I doubt there are alien people running around the power circles of America who can only be seen by special glasses, but the film is about much more than that.  Roddy Piper gets to utter one of the coolest lines in the history of film as he walks into a bank with a shot-gun over his shoulder.  

Posted Image

• Like 7

81) Round up the usual suspects Casablanca 1942

Like the Godfather, Casablanca is pretty much unanimously considered to be one of the all time greats.  Not to make this personal, but I am not overly fond of many films before 1970.  I find many of them stale, one dimensional and poorly acted.  There are exceptions of course, but the majority of them just bother me.  But not Casablanca.  Imo, it's one of the few pre 1970's films that transcends generations.  It's that good.  Julius and Phillip Epstein wrote the screenplay and Michael Curtiz directed an all star cast.  It also won the Oscar for best screenplay. This will not be the last you hear of Casablanca on this list.

Posted Image

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 9