baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

48 My name is Inigo Montoya, You killed my father. Prepare to die. The Princess Bride 1987

William Goldman wrote the screenplay from his own novel.  Rob Reiner directed the film and he first got wind of the book while starring in All In the Family in the 70's.  His father, Carl, gave him the book because he thought Rob would like it.  Mandy Patinkin plays Inigo Montoya.  He says that this is his favourite role in his illustrious career and that he gets 2 or 3 people a day quote this line to him.  It's a great line all throughout the film as it shows the determination Montoya has for avenging his father's death.  When he finally kills the man with six fingers, the line takes on a new meaning as he utters it more and more vehemently as he gets closer to ending the man's life.  A side to this film, and this has nothing to do with the line, but noteworthy anyway, is that Rob Reiner had to leave the set when Billy Crystal was there due to laughing so much and this also happened to Patinkin.  He actually injured a rib from stifling a laugh during Crystal's "mostly dead" scene.

• Like 5

Here's a few more that didn't make it:

Release the Kraken! Clash of the Titans
Have you ever danced by the pale moonlight Batman 
Shoot your eye out kid. Christmas Story 
Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite? Reservoir Dogs 
Run Forrest Run! Forrest Gump 
I feel the need, the need for speed Top Gun 
That'll do pig, that'll do Babe
A boy's best friend is his mother Psycho 

Thanks for picking up the slack, B. Sorry I could only do a few last night.

All good tele, you actually did the ones I needed help with.  I just don't have the classic film knowledge you do.

47 I find your lack of faith disturbing Star Wars Ep. IV A New Hope 1977

The second line from the original Star Wars.  This is when we are first introduced to the power of the force, notably, the dark side of the force.  Vader is being spoken down to by Admiral Motti.  He is bragging about the Death Star and how powerful it is.  Vader, being the last of the Jedi, or his case, the Sith, finds the Admiral a little too cocky because of his technology, completely disregarding the power of the force.  When the admiral gets too brash for Vader's liking, he teaches him a lesson by choking him with his mind.  As he does so, he slithers out the famous line, until the Governor demands that he release him.  This is an iconic moment in the film as we get our first taste of what the force is.

• Like 6

• Founder / Operator

This was (and still is) such a cool idea, B.

How about the top 50 most quotable movies of all-time next? Star Wars is disqualified, or at least, severely handicapped. :lol:

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 4

46 Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes? Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981

Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplay from George Lucas' story.  In the story, Indiana Jones, as established in the first ten minutes of the movie, has a massive fear of snakes.  In fact, he hates them.  When he and his friend Salah dig up the resting place of the Ark, Salah asks, "Why does the floor move?"  Indy drops a torch to reveal thousands of snakes resting near the ark.  He rolls back, stares up at the sky and utters the line.  What makes it kind of funny is that he has to deal with Nazi's guns, rescuing Marion and getting the ark back to the US safely.  But what he is most worried about is the snakes 100 feet below him.  The idea for Indiana Jones began in the 70's when Lucas wrote a treatment called the Adventures of Indiana Smith.  He shelved it for years until in 1977 while vacationing in Hawaii with Steven Spielberg and building a sandcastle together, Spielberg said he wanted to do a James Bond type film.  Lucas told him about Indiana Jones and the rest is history,

• Like 5

This was (and still is) such a cool idea, B.

How about the top 50 most quotable movies of all-time next? Star Wars is disqualified, or at least, severely handicapped. :lol:

You organize it and I'm in.

• Like 1

45 Well , Nobody's perfect. Some like it Hot 1959

The line was voted the number 48 best line of all time by AFI.  The film was written by the director Bill Wilder and also by I.A.L. Diamond.  Roger Ebert called Some Like it Hot one of the best films of all time, and one of the best comedies as well.  The film's stars were paid a massive amount of money for the time.  Marilyn Monroe worked for 10% of the gross once it got passed 4 million and Tony Curtis 5% of the gross once it got past 2 million.  It made 25 million dollars at the box office which means Monroe made about 2 million for the film, which translates into about 20 million into today's money.

• Like 5

44 I coulda been a contender. On the Waterfront 1954

Voted number 38 best movie moment of all time by IGN, On the Waterfront was written by Budd Schulberg and directed by Elia Kazan.  Many say that this film was Kazan's response to those who criticized him for identifying 9 communists in the film industry.  In 1986, the film was deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" by the American Library of Congress.  Roger Ebert even said that Kazan and Brando changed acting in films forever.  "I coulda been a contender" may be a movie line, but it become iconic and means so much more than what we see on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3QsNXd57Ppw#t=2

• Like 4

43 The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about Fight Club Fight Club 1999

The second rule of Fight Club is to also not talk about Fight Club.  Jim Uhls wrote the screenplay from a novel by Chuck Palahniuk.  Palahniuk got the idea for the story when he got beat up on a camping trip after he asked some neighbours to turn down their radio.  He returned to the office with fresh facial scars and no one asked him about his face.  He figured this was because it would mean that these co-workers would have to have a degree of social interaction with him and they just really didn't care enough.  Hence the characters were born. Fight Club also has lots of innovative filming techniques and plot devices, besides the big secret.  This is a film that also breaks the fourth wall during the film and again on the DVD release when Tyler Durden has a message for the people watching the film.  To see what it is, check out the trivia page on imdb.

• Like 3

42 We all go a little mad sometimes Psycho 1960

Joseph Stefano wrote the screenplay to one of the most terrifying horror films pre 1970.  Hitchocock's Psycho did things that other films and other directors weren't innovative enough or ballsy enough to do.  Psycho was a passion project for Hitchcock and he even put up his house as collateral to make sure the film was made.  He was met with a lot of studio interference but kept plugging away.  The line is perhaps the first time in the film we actually get to see how disconnected from reality Norman really is.  And not coincidentally it is when Marion Crane says that perhaps he should put his mother in an institution.  Anthony Perkins is absolutely chilling in this scene.  Just to mention a few things that Psycho and Hitchcock did to make their film a must see film; he told theater owners once the show started, no one would be allowed in afterwards.  He killed off his main character in the first 40 minutes of the film.  These might seem tame and ordinary in 2014 but in 1960 they were unheard of.  And one last piece of trivia.  After the filming of Psycho, Janet Leigh never took a shower, only baths.  She said the filming of the scene she was fine with but she never realized how vulnerable people were in the shower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nv88ASiLmgk

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 2

Give me a ping, Vasily. One ping only, please.

Y'know, I seen me a mermaid once. I even seen me a shark eat an octopus. But I ain't never seen no phantom Russian submarine.

"That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month"

• Like 2