Dark Jedi Master 007

The Classic Movie Club: First Film-ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)

If I may make a suggestion as to how to run this.

When this was done back in the BOM days, from memory it started off well but then for whatever reason some people just didn't put up a movie for consideration when it was this turn. This kind of killed momentum for the thread since there was no movie to talk about before someone stepped up and went they have had enough here is this movie. Organisation broke down and so did the thread.My suggestion is that we are required to PM you at least 2 days before our 'week' begins with the title of the movie we wish to put up. If you haven't received the PM by then efforts should be made to contact the next person in line and ask if they can be ready to go in their place. Hopefully that will ensure a more smoothly running schedule.

Just a thought

• Like 1

Well I watched Dirty Dozen.

My initial thoughts...Obviously their are spoilers contained within so you probably shouldn't read until you have seen the film yourself.

Firstly, the premise I would like to describe kindly as interesting yet retarded. At its core its a very interesting premise. Give 12 people who are either serving hard labor or are on death row and give them a chance of freedom if they complete what is on the surface a suicide mission. It's really not that far away from The Expendables really when you think about it! On the other hand its also a retarded premise. Expecting these guys to not only take the word of someone that they don't know that they will be granted freedom if they achieve success in a mission that seems suicidal while handing them guns and minimal supervision and expecting at least one of them not to make a brake for it just seems dumb. If the mission is that important to the Allies surely they would send in a highly trained commando force rather than a ragtag bunch of borderline mentally unstable people who don't deal with authority well and have nothing really to lose from attempting to escape. I mean the mission almost falls apart because the guy most clearly insane among them Maggott goes all crazy at the least convenient time. It's a hard pill to swallow that someone in command thought that this was a good idea.

The movie also struggles from a problem that plagues a movie like the Hobbit. You have too many characters hanging around to really get to know all but the main few. Its hard to identify with individual characters when we may get a 10 second intro of who they are and what they have done before moving onto the next guy. I mean this is not a math test that i'm jamming for and I really couldn't keep up with who was who. 

Now onto the positives, because I actually did really enjoy this movie. While I may not had been able to identify with the individual characters I was able to identify with the Dirty Dozen as a whole. To see them slowly come together as a group and have them have each others backs and begin to respect Major Reisman is done really well despite the unlikely scenario as discussed above. Speaking of Major Reisman he is clearly what holds the movie together. To see how he interacts with the dozen, how he interacts with those above him in rank you get a real sense that this is a guy who sees the rules as necessary only until they get in the way of results. In many ways he probably has more in common with these criminals than he does with his colleagues. Perhaps if things were just ever so slightly different he would had been one of the prisoners given a second chance. 

The final act is spectacular in my opinion and was done really really well. Storming a chateau in France where many high ranking officers go for a bit of rest and relaxation made for an exciting and indeed thought provoking action set piece. While the violence perhaps lacks the 'punch' that we expect from a modern day blockbuster (I find it fascinating that this movie was condemned for its violence when released in 1967), by that time I was engaged with the Dozen and the Major well and truly that I was rooting for their success, and felt a pang of regret for everyone of them who died (barring Maggot cause his a fuckwit). 

But the most interesting part of this scene is seeing the reactions by these people who the U.S Judicial system have deemed a danger to society and must be locked up or executed. To see Major Reisman bark orders such as pouring grenades and gasoline down the vets into the sealed off bunker with the offices and their womenfolk trapped beneath, or to kill unarmed surrendering Germans, and to see the looks of horror on the dozen doing these acts.....I mean if these criminals can see just how disgusting these actions are I feel it makes a very poignant point about the horrors of war and the fine line it draws between criminals and soldiers in terms of morality. 

Overall I greatly enjoyed this flick and feel it is a fantastic start to the Classic Movie Club. Cheers Dar.

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 2

Schedule is As Follows (Tentatively)

Date: User Who Is Choosing (Which Decade User Must Choose Film From)

March 28th (or 29th, since he found out on short notice): DAR  (1960’s)

April 4th: mahnamahna (1960’s)

April 11th: Frozen Iceroll (1960’s)

April 18th: Divergent Films (1950’s)

April 25th: VCC (1950’s)

May 2nd: Spottswoode (1950’s)

May 9th: baumer (1970’s)

May 16th: Telemachos (1970’s)

May 23rd: Andy LL (1970’s)

May 30th: Coolio D1 (1940’s)

June 6th: Sherriff Woody (1940’s)

June 13th: Sixteen16 (1940’s)

June 20th: The Panda (1980’s)

June 27th: redfirebird2008 (1980’s)

July 4th (or 5th, since it’s a holiday): Fancyarcher (1980’s)

July 11th: DJM (1930’s)

Afterwards, we’ll see where we go.

If you don’t like the time period assigned to you or the date, you may switch with someone. PM me first before you switch.

July 4th would work fine for me. I can write a review for a movie I saw the previous day (still thinking about which film I'm going to write about).

Edited by Fancyarcher

I'll try and watch the dirty dozen in a couple of weeks as really busy at the momentI've got school all week, tomorrow im going to buy frozen after school, got to total big brother films final and bracket competition and got h/w. Tuesday im watching frozen and im busy the rest of the week