Impact

Best Director-2014 Predictions!

I'd certainly expect Fincher to get in before Eastwood and Nolan.

Eastwood for sure, but Interstellar looks like a film where great direction will shine. So I'd say Eastwood isn't likely unless the Academy seriously hates Nolan... or if another film becomes a frontrunner. 

I expect at least a nod for Nolan. He's gunning for it at this point 

• Like 1

I'd certainly expect Fincher to get in before Eastwood and Nolan.

Believe it or not but, as they see the movie, the entire Awardswatch forum is dropping Fincher for best director because according to them, he adapted a trashy airport novel.

• Like 1

I might have understood the logic if they'd done it before seeing the movie, but after? Seriously?

You wouldn t believe the flame wars the movie has created over there but as a whole, they are not kind with the movie and Fincher.

So yes, they are dropping Fincher from the top 5 currently ...

We ll see on Oscar morning...

• Like 1

No but maybe not the masterpiece it's been hyped as for the last year. Maybe more commercial than critic darling. I'm just not sure why else they're not screening it until so late.

The premiere is a whole month before the movie comes out, idk if they're leaving it too late.

No but maybe not the masterpiece it's been hyped as for the last year. Maybe more commercial than critic darling. I'm just not sure why else they're not screening it until so late.

Jolie is shooting her next film as we speak. She is not available at all to promote Unbroken and I am pretty sure she s gonna do a media blitz like never before in her career.

So they are releasing the movie to fit Jolie s schedule.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

It might not be finished right now. 

I still think

Jolie-Unbroken 

Iñárritu-Birdman

Miller-Foxcatcher

Linklater-Boyhood

Tyldum-The Imitation Game

---------------------------------------

Alternatives 

Anderson-Inherent Vice

Leigh- Mr. Turner 

Fincher-Gone Girl

--------------------------------------------

Dark Horses 

Chazelle-Whiplash

DuVernay-Selma 

• Like 1

Interstellar has the later release date and seems like the token tentpole for this year's Oscar race. I'd say Nolan's in the BD shortlist for now. All depends on how Interstellar is received.

Nolan has never been nominated for best director. I doubt interstellar will be his first.