lilmac

How did the Jedi/Sith begin?

Here's my take:

Perhaps the early "Jedi" were mystics in less civilized systems. In the more advanced population centers closer to the core Force-users were not as visible. Gradually over time, governments of the less civilized systems began to formally recognize their powers. Hired on as advisers, these mystics began to refine their understanding of the Force and the powers they came with it. As their roles expanded into diplomatic and security responsibilities (much like samurai), their exposure increased. A few minor wars and skirmishes, where their involvement proved decisive, accelerated this notoriety.The Republic, recognizing their benefit, created an Order, with a physical presence located on Coruscant. Here their diplomatic and military skills could be exploited to the Republic's advantage. In return, the Order was given a haven to learn more about the living force, embark on missions to recruit others, and help bring peace to a confederated galaxy. As the organization matured, a rift occurred over (FILL IN THE BLANK). A detachment of force-users broke away and formed a independent group. Bereft of exposure to the accumulated wisdom and training provided by the Order, these force-users succumbed to the dark side and called themselves, Sith.

The Sith were originally an alien race that lived in a far corner of the Outer Rim.

The Jedi for thousands of years had problems with members falling to the Dark Side every now and then. After one major civil war within the Order/Republic, the Dark Jedi were defeated and the small number of survivors fled via uncharted hyperspace routes to the galactic rim. Eventually they stumbled upon the Sith homeworld. The Sith treated them as gods because of their Force powers and the Dark Jedi quickly took over the Sith worlds.

Nearly 2,000 years of interbreeding and consolidation later and you have the the ancient Sith Empire that existed 5,000 years BBY which started the Great Hyperspace War that introduced the Jedi to the "Sith" which meant in addition to the one race, the Dark Side culture of the overarching empire. The Sith race eventually died out. The Sith culture on the other hand persisted for thousands of years through artifacts, holocrons, etc, ready for eager young Jedi to discover and be tempted/seduced by.

As for the Jedi creation...the EU went down a route I hear many people have grumbled about

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Je%27daii_Order

This may all change when the new Lucasfilm has its way with the canon, but until then, these are the answers you seek.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

The Sith were originally an alien race that lived in a far corner of the Outer Rim.

The Jedi for thousands of years had problems with members falling to the Dark Side every now and then. After one major civil war within the Order/Republic, the Dark Jedi were defeated and the small number of survivors fled via uncharted hyperspace routes to the galactic rim. Eventually they stumbled upon the Sith homeworld. The Sith treated them as gods because of their Force powers and the Dark Jedi quickly took over the Sith worlds.

Nearly 2,000 years of interbreeding and consolidation later and you have the the ancient Sith Empire that existed 5,000 years BBY which started the Great Hyperspace War that introduced the Jedi to the "Sith" which meant in addition to the one race, the Dark Side culture of the overarching empire. The Sith race eventually died out. The Sith culture on the other hand persisted for thousands of years through artifacts, holocrons, etc, ready for eager young Jedi to discover and be tempted/seduced by.

As for the Jedi creation...the EU went down a route I hear many people have grumbled about

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Je%27daii_Order

This may all change when the new Lucasfilm has its way with the canon, but until then, these are the answers you seek.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I think I can do a better origin story than those in the wikia/EU.  LOL

I like the Sith origin, because it has some layers and shades of colonialism, racial assimilation, etc as the foundation for a power-hungry expansionist empire that when it falls lives on through artifacts with the power to corrupt those who come into contact with them.Plus, the foundational details of the Sith origin comes from the Tales of the Jedi comic series, which was totally awesome.But the Jedi origin created in recent EU comics just merits a resounding "MEH" from me.
  • Like 1

Which is fantasy. In fantasy worlds, magics trend to become weaker and weaker with time.

True but over that time you think they discover Gunpowder and Guns and such...

That is what irks me about fantasy is the magic fades but technology does not much.