JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

OS for GRAVITY seems to be less spectacular than its domestic performance.Goes to show it is the overseas audience that still crave for the fast-cuttingslam-bang style of Michael Bay than the more contemplative Cuaron.

Michael Bay's 2013 film will make less here than Cuaron's 2013 film.

OS for GRAVITY seems to be less spectacular than its domestic performance.

Goes to show it is the overseas audience that still crave for the fast-cutting

slam-bang style of Michael Bay than the more contemplative Cuaron.

And Life Of Pi's OS was more spectacular than DOM without being "slam-bang style", there is more that goes into a film than just that factor, and there are examples either way.

The first two Transformers films were actually disappointing OS compared to their DOM performance.

Edited by Tower

And Life Of Pi's OS was more spectacular than DOM without being "slam-bang style", there is more that goes into a film than just that factor, and there are examples either way.

The first two Transformers films were actually disappointing OS compared to their DOM performance.

ITA.

And 'Les Intouchables' weren't slam bam style either, yet it literally bombed in the US and did great overseas.

OS for GRAVITY seems to be less spectacular than its domestic performance.Goes to show it is the overseas audience that still crave for the fast-cuttingslam-bang style of Michael Bay than the more contemplative Cuaron.

It's been out 10 days. Relax.

Less spectacular? Report on BOMGravity in Australia made 3m USD down only 11%!!!!!!Wow. (Should be around 8.7m running total). We might well get a 20m+ grosser from the sept holidays yet.

ok ummm just a massive wow for Gravity here..

I'll post the top 20 in the next post but that hold is even more amazing when you consider the other holds in the top 20.

excluding the new entries ( 5 films)

- Everything else outside of Gravity in the top 20 dropped a minimum of 23% from last weekend.

- in the top 10 only 1 other film (Rush) other than Gravity dropped less than 57% from last weekend. :bouncy:

when u consider the drops in the top 20 and Gravity managed to hold to 10% is just insane!  it's almost as if Gravity ignored the fact the holidays just ended...... which normally sees strong dips (> 50% for most films)  10% at this point in time is almost unheard of in australia.

20m looks a lot easier after than hold..... especially if it can back it up next weekend with another impressive hold.

From Urban Cinefile:"the top 20 slipped 30% to $11.45 million."compared with equivalent week last year (October 11-14):"The top 20 was down 49% to $10.1 M"

I must say movie mum or whatever she calls herself says some impressive comments in her comments for the week...  :ph34r:  :giggle: 

When is the last time a movie drops 10% in its 2nd weekend at the Australian box office?

might want to rephrase... last time a movie dropped 10% in it's 2nd weekend as holidays finish.  has it happened before ?

^ well did a quick bit researching...

The heat managed a 28% drop on it's 2nd weekend as the july holidays ended.......  That's about the best i could find over the past 5 years or so... further back i'd say we'd find a few more.. .but 10% is extremely light especially given it opened to 3.5m in the first place.  given it opened over the final weekend of the holidays(for most of the country that is) and most films normally dip very heavily the following weekend makes this hold very very impressive.   it just doesn't happen normally for film to open above 3m and hold like that... it's rare, especially these days.

^ well did a quick bit researching... The heat managed a 28% drop on it's 2nd weekend as the july holidays ended.......  That's about the best i could find over the past 5 years or so... further back i'd say we'd find a few more.. .but 10% is extremely light especially given it opened to 3.5m in the first place.  given it opened over the final weekend of the holidays(for most of the country that is) and most films normally dip very heavily the following weekend makes this hold very very impressive.   it just doesn't happen normally for film to open above 3m and hold like that... it's rare, especially these days.

And wasn't that a 10% hold off of an inflated holiday weekend?

wow and i missed that too... yes you are correct rob.. it was indeed off a long weekend (for much of the country)...

mini titanic / avatar.... ?  (well lets see how we are travelling after next weekend before we say that of course :P )

• Like 1

wow and i missed that too... yes you are correct rob.. it was indeed off a long weekend (for much of the country)... mini titanic / avatar.... ?  (well lets see how we are travelling after next weekend before we say that of course :P )

If it holds around the 20-25% mark this week, $20m is locked. Anything above depends on further holds.