JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Hey Kal, it's a been long time :)

still plugging along as always...

not sure how MOS will travel but I think it can go pretty well here... I'm looking for a result around 10m which would keep this in line with how comic book films travel in comparison to the US results.  I think given the opening in the US if MOS opens below 8m it would be a disappointment... below 6m and well we are into crash and burn territory.  As for the other way... anything above 12m and we going great guns......

Hey Jajang!! Missed you too my friend :D... Agreed and I hope you will dig MOS, I loved it. Definitely over all a  much better film that SReturns(has a few flaws , but its DCs 2nd best film next

to TDK and in my top 5 quality SH modern films line up) And this time Superman's powers will wow

you  bud.. And I love the whole sci-fi feel added to the movie mythos :)

Update on how Despicable Me 2 is travelling....

(Thanks to Deadline Hollywood for it's update on DM2 in australia)

#2 on Friday for a further 690k  (weekend so far = 1.16m which is a hot 42% stronger than the the first film over it's first official 2 days)  

Total is now 3.2m. 

FYI, Despicable me made 3.2m over it's first normal weekend (4.7m including the previews) which indicates that DM2 is heading for a weekend > 4.5m, possibly higher given the timing of the june holidays here.

Hollywood blockbusters at IMAX Sydney and Melbourne1 Avatar $5.69M2 The Dark Knight Rises $2.53M3 The Dark Knight $2.29M4 Polar Express $1.96M5 Tron: Legacy $1.65M6 Alice in Wonderland $1.64M7 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1.60M8 Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol $1.39M9 Beowulf 3D $1.37M10 Transformers 3 $1.33MRead more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/biggest-screen-gets-maximum-upgrade-20130310-2ftw4.html#ixzz2X2vJDgcR

Hollywood blockbusters at IMAX Sydney and Melbourne1 Avatar $5.69M2 The Dark Knight Rises $2.53M3 The Dark Knight $2.29M4 Polar Express $1.96M5 Tron: Legacy $1.65M6 Alice in Wonderland $1.64M7 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1.60M8 Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol $1.39M9 Beowulf 3D $1.37M10 Transformers 3 $1.33MRead more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/biggest-screen-gets-maximum-upgrade-20130310-2ftw4.html#ixzz2X2vJDgcR

How about this one:Traditional IMAX films at IMAX Sydney and Melbourne1 Everest $6.33M2 Titanic 3D: Ghosts of the Abyss $5.6M3 Space Station 3D $5.48M4 Deep Sea 3D $5.19M5 Extreme $5.15M6 Antarctica $4.73M7 Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure $4.7M8 Mysteries of Egypt $4.55M9 Wild Safari 3D $3.52M10 Africa's Elephant Kingdom $3.49MRead more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/biggest-screen-gets-maximum-upgrade-20130310-2ftw4.html#ixzz2X2wsE4sZI've seen fewer of those than I would've thought.

On Thu #'s youd be intially thinking WWZ 5.5-6.1, Dme2 3.9-5, Mu 3.4-4.3

Dme2 Followed the 10% thu usually is of animated Opening not in Hols(3.9-4 was if it was similar to Cars/Kfu2), MU tad off

WWZ about 6, Dme 2 just over 5, MU 3.8

• Like 4

Dme2 Followed the 10% thu usually is of animated Opening not in Hols(3.9-4 was if it was similar to Cars/Kfu2), MU tad offWWZ about 6, Dme 2 just over 5, MU 3.8

Yes, yes, YES!!!!!! Fantastic for all three!!!I really wanted WWZ and DM2 to thrive and MU to not do too well :D

For Avatar the Sydney only result was the 2nd highest grossing single screen in the world and 3rd highest single format

• Like 2

For Avatar the Sydney only result was the 2nd highest grossing single screen in the world and 3rd highest single format

I would have guessed Prasads IMAX in Hyderabad would have been a high grosser for Avatar, but the Rupee is not exactly a currency which allows for worldwide records (since it is pretty weak). But Avatar ran for 6-8 months in IMAX at the venue and all the shows were pretty much sold out throughout its run.

It was about USD27 per adult ticket at Sydney IMAX and it ran up to the release of AIW.  Even several weeks after the release sessions sold out days in advance.  It's also 500+ seats.

I'll post all my analysis later, but quickly for now:

* At this point all 3 of the openers will be targeting 20m+ finishes with DM2 and outside shot at 30m. 

* I do think that it was a big mistake for MU to open against DM2.  This ultimately has hurt the film on opening weekend.  DM2 used previews to get a jump on MU which I think propelled it to it's impressive 5m weekend (7.2m including previews)

* WWZ will drop hard next weekend given the competition but it's opening is just impressive... this is a film I had pegged around the 4m to 5m mark.... so this is a breakout as far as I am concerned.

* Iron Man 3 has finally lost touch with making the 40m barrier.  It is now almost certain (without a reissue of some sort) to miss the 40m mark and should wind up around 39.3m.  Still an excellent result but not quite what we expected given it's opening.

* Star Trek Into Darkness appears it will wind up around the 16.4m mark making it the biggest of the franchise in Australia.

* Fast 6 is continuing to play with the 30m threshold as to whether it will pass it.  I think it will still make as it's tracking very near to Shrek 3 and Potter 3 films which opened at the same of the year with a similar opening ultimately both making it past 33m.

* Hangover 3 is crashing and burning as expecting and will wind up well short of 25m.

* The Great Gatsby continues to track closely to Bazz's previous film in Australia.  Of course i'm talking about Australia which went on to make nearly 38m.  I doubt Gatsby can reach that excellent figure but 30m + is very doable given it's dropping at a similar rate to "Australia" for now.  However from next weeks things could be tough as Australia had the Christmas / New Years holiday boost.  Gatsby will also get a boost thanks to the June Holidays  but it's boost will probably not be as much as Australia got hence my lower total. 

Edited by Jajang