JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

The Conjuring is killing it! I might actually have to check it out if its doing so well!!Random note: Im in Santa Monica right now, and I have never seen so many cinemas in the one place. One street has two cinemas (a third which has closed) and there's another around the corner! It's ridiculous! Imagine having that in Australia. It just wouldn't work!

The Conjuring is killing it! I might actually have to check it out if its doing so well!!Random note: Im in Santa Monica right now, and I have never seen so many cinemas in the one place. One street has two cinemas (a third which has closed) and there's another around the corner! It's ridiculous! Imagine having that in Australia. It just wouldn't work!

lol and they don't take any money anymore...but yes theres a lot like that, one place in LA as a 30 &22 plex virtually next to each other, burbank 30 is actually 3 AMC cinema complexes within about block of each other

• Like 1

Why would build them so close?? It's suicidal!

in some cases the theatre close to each other aren't running same films, in others.

So the example of 30 &22 near each other have quite a few films playing both, The santa Monica example you gave by rights different films different complexes (ie Broadway 4 normally wouldn't have film playing at Santa Monica 7), in NYC empire 25 & E-walk 13 across road from one another don't play same films. so theres a mix.

The other thing with NA market vs Australia is that the rule of thumb is all films open all sessions and films play multiple screens usually play all sessions on other screens so in Australia a 10 plex might have 12-15 films playing various sessions a 10 plex in US most likely won't have 10 films playing , because a couple titles might have more than 1 screen, others have 1 screen each and then there might be 1 screen that might be reserved for sharing product (2 sessions 1 film, 3 sessions of another).

Example the combined Empire 25 & E-walk 13 in NYC this past weekend played 26 films on 38 screens (17 @ Empire, 9 @ E-walk), Long Beach 26 has 18 films playing.

In Aus the Marion 26 has 24 films playing, the Castle hill 16 has 22 films playing now in both these Aus examples that would never happen in the US/Canada

Edited by Rth
  • Like 6

So Happy for both and Thank goodness Conjuring held well too especially for a horror movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Leyla, isn't it true that NYSM releases in Australia on August 8, which is this Thursday?

Yes. I just saw it at the vip screening last night and i loved it. What a nice surprise. Now I understand why it did 200m+ ww. Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 2

Why would build them so close?? It's suicidal!

Well, lots of theaters in LA are close to each other but don't play the same movies. The Burbank AMC has 30 screens, but divided into 3 different malls with 16, 8 and 6 screens (the first time I went there I couldn't find my theater). Similarly, Century City and Landmark are close to each other but target different audiences. 

I haven't actually seen any movies in Broadway or Santa Monica, but I hear they are decent theaters. There is another one at the opposite end of the 3rd street promenade which plays discount movies. If you get the chance, check out the Marina 6 dine-in theater in Marina Del Rey, brilliant experience of watching a movie.

Leyla, isn't it true that NYSM releases in Australia on August 8, which is this Thursday?

yeah

I thought the same for NZ but it actually was released this wkend there (at #1 obv :wub: ) so now is aussies time to deliver $$$$ :P

Eisenberg is promised to come & do some promo btw

Edited by Leyla