JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.Heard on the radio that The Avengers raked in $5.8M on opening day. Pretty impressive considering a lot of cinemas weren't opened for morning screenings!

I was thinking that earlier - yes, it was a public holiday, but cinemas didnt open til 1.30 for the majority of the country

How well it holds today will tell the tale of how its going to perform over the weekend.If today is over $3m, which is not all that impossible, then $20m 5-day is locked.If its closer to $2-2.5m, then itll probably land around the $16-17m for the 5-day - which is still absolutely phenomenal.

Holy smoking dogshit batman. That number is just insane. I'm yet to see it (Friday) but my sister saw it in Adelaide last night. Her comment, easily the best comic book film ever and amongst some of the best films she's seen. Said she was in a lineup of about 500. Big event cinema Adelaide. Makes u wonder whether 7m would have happened if cinemas had opened normally. :)So WOM appears very good on this. No major competition till men in black either. My projections now:OW (5 day) - 17m - 22m (insane!)Total - 45m - 60m

Holy smoking dogshit batman. That number is just insane. I'm yet to see it (Friday) but my sister saw it in Adelaide last night. Her comment, easily the best comic book film ever and amongst some of the best films she's seen. Said she was in a lineup of about 500. Big event cinema Adelaide. Makes u wonder whether 7m would have happened if cinemas had opened normally. :)So WOM appears very good on this. No major competition till men in black either. My projections now:OW (5 day) - 17m - 22m (insane!)Total - 45m - 60m

Just remember what The Avengers was hamstrung by here... (against Harry Potter's last outing)

[*]621 Screens vs 749 screens

[*]Harry had sessions from midnight to midnight (including 3am & 6am shows) vs The avengers had some mids and very little in the way of session until 1pm. - was this the case nationwide - for example chermside did this.

Which to me makes this opening by the avengers even more amazing that potters crazy 7m...

All I can say is that The Avengers must have played to pretty much sold out shows from 1pm onwards.(I'm not even sure it played many sessions at midnight - though were some)

Now you have to update the first page with widest release and opening day records!

shall take at look at that over the weekend - time i got this all updated including the current 2012 top x :D is making me wonder what "The Hobbit" can do on boxing day ... especially next year when we get boxing day on a thursday ;)

All I can say is that The Avengers must have played to pretty much sold out shows from 1pm onwards.(I'm not even sure it played many sessions at midnight - though were some)

Every session at my work was full - I don't remember a film being like THAT since that miracle Boxing Day when Avatar was out and every single one of its sessions were full - that's basically how rare sellouts are for my work - they happen only during school holidays, and in my 5 years, only Avatar, and now The Avengers have sold out every single session on any day, as most major movies fail to sellout the first and last sessions of the day!

Just remember what The Avengers was hamstrung by here... (against Harry Potter's last outing)

[*]621 Screens vs 749 screens

[*]Harry had sessions from midnight to midnight (including 3am & 6am shows) vs The avengers had some mids and very little in the way of session until 1pm. - was this the case nationwide - for example chermside did this.

Which to me makes this opening by the avengers even more amazing that potters crazy 7m...

Thanks for your analysis.